The Sweetness I Need| Imagine

The second Leon leaves for his meeting I rush out out buy all the supplies I need to help decorate the house for Leon's 28th birthday. Once home I put on some music and blow up some balloons, put up a banner and write Leon's birthday card, as usual I bought one with a cheesy joke on that I'm sure he'll laugh at like he has done years before.

I then get to work on making some cupcakes. Leon insisted on having a casual birthday without cake and all the other birthday things but I refuse to cave into his grumpy ways, I mean someone's got to keep him in check.

I sigh and reread the recipe again on my phone, I've never been good at baking but I figured making my own cakes would be more meaningful, but I didn't anticipate getting confused at the first hurdle. I measure all the ingredients and colouring then mix it all together, wincing as the mixture refuses to budge, with that I add more milk and stir, but then the mixture is too watery. It's a battle of the ingredients until I finally have an alright constancy, I then pour the mixture into some cupcake cases and pop them in the oven. When I turn to see all the washing up I debate burning the apartment down, but then figure it'll be too much hassle and probably easier to just wash up.

Half an hour later the timer on the oven beeps so I rush over to it, anticipation killing me as I pull them out and...frown. They're all misshapen and I'm pretty sure a child could've done better, but it's the thought that counts.

I grab the icing and decorations and sit down to make them at least look edible. Once there's colours on every single one I lean back and sigh. Grabbing one I carefully inspect it before taking a bite, and immediately regret it.

I chew and chew, forcing it down but then throwing the rest of it away. I glance at my phone to see if I have enough time to run to the bakery, but Leon's expected home in-

The front door opens and I hear Leon call out "Baby I'm back." I take a deep breath and plaster on a smile, running to greet him. As soon as he sees me he opens his arms, and I jump up and wrap my legs around his waist, pressing a kiss to his lips.

"Hey birthday boy, how was the meeting?"

He shrugs and sets me down, "Same shit as usual, they want me to head to...wait, are those balloons? And is that a banner?"

I nod excitedly, grabbing a balloon from the floor and throwing it in the air. It falls down between Leon and I as he just stares at it pointedly.

"Don't you like them?" I mumble, my shoulders deflating as Leon watches my face, after a few seconds he bursts out laughing then nods.

"Yeah, I haven't had balloons since I was a kid." He chuckles, wrapping an arm around my shoulders as I lead him to the kitchen. A few birthday gifts sit on the table next to the cupcakes.

Leon smiles and plucks up a cake, analysing it before going to pop it into his mouth. I manage to snatch it away just in time, he gives me a look as if I'm crazy as I put it back on the plate. "You can't eat them yet, we've got to open presents first." I lie, pushing Leon to sit down.

He holds his hands up as he heads for the chair, "Calm down I'm now sitting."

"Slowing down already old man?" I tease as he sits. I perch on the table next to him as he looks up at me and raises an eyebrow.

"That wasn't what you were saying last night."

I blush but wave it off, "Eh, you were 27 then, you're now 28."

"Then I guess I'll have to prove it to you again tonight." Leon winks. I gulp and cross my legs, then change the subject by sliding the first gift over to him.

Twenty minutes and a lot of "thank you's" later Leon stands and stretches, he kisses my head before walking back over to the disastrous cupcakes, picking one up again.

"No!" I call out, reaching into thin air. Leon stops and puts the cake down again, sighing as he tilts his head in confusion.

"Don't you dare sing that stupid song." He lightly says, but I shake my head and get off the table, heading over to him as my head drops down.

"I tried to make cupcakes but they taste like shit." I mumble, feeling a mixture of sad and angry. Leon shakes his head and grabs my hand, pulling me to his chest before wrapping his arms around me, caging me into a tight hug.

"I'm sure they're fine, but if you don't want me to eat them then I won't." He reassures, rubbing my back as I lean my forehead against him.

"I'm sorry, I ruined your birthday." I whisper, on the edge of tears as guilt overcomes me, the cake is supposed to be the epitome of birthdays and now Leon won't get one, or as a surprise at least.

"Are you kidding, this has been one of the best birthdays I've had in a while." Leon says, cupping my chin to raise my head, I meet his eyes as he continues, "I got to spend it with my favourite girl, you're all the sweetness I need." He ends with a playful wink.

I laugh and roll my eyes, wiping my eyes with the backs of my hands. Leon suddenly grabs my hips and lifts me onto the counter, he stands between my legs as he wraps his arms around me and leans his head against my chest.

"I love you."

"I love you too." I reply, stroking his hair as we both stay like that for a moment. "What do you want for dinner? I would say I'd cook you something but that doesn't exactly go well..."

Leon huffs and leans back, "Why don't we go out to that new restaurant a few blocks away, I bet they have cheesecake."

I raise my eyebrows, "Cheesecake huh? Does that count as cake?"

Leon pretends to think about it then he nods, grabbing my hands as I hop down. "Definitely." He nods grinning.

I smile as Leon grabs my hand, I grab my bag and coat then we head out for dinner at some new posh restaurant, and when Leon orders the cheesecake for dessert I sing 'happy birthday' which makes him blush, but he smiles anyway and carries me home after I eat too much whilst telling me how impressed he is.