The Disturbance| Imagine

"Get. Out." I grit through my teeth, my ex-boyfriend just laughs in my face, leaning further into the doorway. I'm so determined to slam the front door in his face, but I know he's stronger than he looks and gets pissed by the smallest inconvenience.

"No baby, you don't understand. I need a place to stay, so I'm coming home." He coos, reaching out to roughly twirl a strand of hair around his finger. My eyes water from the pulling, and I shove him back so he stumbles into the apartment door opposite us. He looks shocked for a second, but then scoffs and barges his way in with a look of murder in his eyes.

Scared and worried, my fight or flight response kicks in and I grab the object nearest to me, a glass candle, and launch it as his face. It hits and his face swings to the side, the glass shatters as blood seeps from a few cuts from his cheek. I use the time to run past him, out of the door and down the steps, but I crash into a taller body, gasping when I look up into the bluest eyes I've ever seen.

"Are you alright miss? I was called to a disturbance here, I'm officer Leon Kennedy" the man begins. My shoulders slump, I shake my head, my lip wobbling as his eyes widen a little. He wraps an arm around me briefly, giving me a quick reassuring hug before gently pressing me behind him and heading to my apartment, where the sounds of crashing and things being thrown alerts all of the neighbours.

"It's alright, everyone could you please go back inside for now. Back up is on its way." Leon calls out, pursing his lips as he pulls out a gun. I let out a small sound and back away from him, swallowing my anxiety as he makes his way into my apartment. I follow, vaguely hearing sirens sound from outside.

"Sir, put your hands where I can see them." Leon calls out, my heart drops when I see the mess of my apartment, everything is broken and in dissaray, my most treasured items are ruined or at least no longer as perfect as they were. My fear turns to blind rage as I push past Leon with my fists raised, but Leon catches me around the waist as angry tears stream from my eyes.

"How could you! You asshole!" I scream, Leon shushes me as backup arrives, and he nods for am officer to take me from him. All I can do is watch as Leon forcefully arrests my ex, shoving his knee into his back with more force then necessary. My ex grunts, and gives me a smirk as Leon and another officer escorts him out.

After I sit on my couch, answering questions until they're satisfied and leave, telling me I'm safe now.

My lip wobbles as I look around my apartment, and all I can do is cry at the mess that was once my life.

*******************

Days pass but I'm still shaken up, but despite the lingering sense of fear and failure, I clean up my apartment and buy new replacements for what I can. I'm mid way through devouring a chocolate cake for dinner when there's a knock at my door. I frown and stand, keeping the fork in my hand just in case.

I open the door to reveal Leon standing there with a paper bag and some yellow flowers, he isn't dressed in his police blues, but just some casual blue jeans and a white tee. I look past him in confusion before meeting his eyes. He nervously rubs the back of his neck as he says "Hey, I'm Leon, I'm not sure if you remember me, I, uh, I just wanted to check on you and give you these."

I smile as he passes me the lovely smelling flowers and the bag, I peek in to see some fresh pastries. "Thank you, would you like to come in?" I ask. Leon looks unsure but then nods, hesitantly walking in as he takes in the new decorations and furniture.

"You've been busy..." He drawls, smiling at me as he nods to the chocolate cake still sitting on the kitchen counter. I blush but laugh it off, setting the pastries beside it and the flowers in the sink for now.

"Yeah, didn't feel like cooking." I reply, Leon's eyes soften as he watches me with..something.

"Don't tell anyone, but sometimes I have cookies for breakfast." He jokes, winking at me as I widen my eyes in fake surprise.

"Really? Oh that could ruin your reputation!" I tease, Leon and I both laugh as I pass him a fork. He narrows his eyes but takes it anyway, and takes a bite of the cake.

We start talking about the incident, but soon enough we subject bounce, it's like we want to know everything about each other, and I can't deny the natural attraction between us. Once the cake is gone and a couple of hours of talking have passed, Leon stretches and stands from our relocated spot on the couch.

"You've got chocolate on your lip." Leon murmurs, I try to wipe it but Leon shakes his head and leans down, his thumb reaches out and brushes my bottom lip, his eyes dart to my lips before finding my gaze again. He clears his throat, heading for the door as I stand and follow.

"Thank you for the other night."

"I'm just doing my job." Leon says, my breath catches at the way he looks at me.

"And tonight?"

"Overtime." Leon quips, making me grin and roll my eyes. "Is-" He breaks off and takes a breath, "is it weird if I ask you to dinner?"

I bite my lip, pretending to think about it before shaking my head. "No, I'd love to."

Leon's lips tilt into a big smile as he nods and let's himself out, mumbling a heartfelt goodbye as he leaves.