High Ground PT 2 | Imagine

AN: You must read part one to understand this second part♡
----------------------------------------------------

"I've secured the girl." Leon says into an earpiece as I trail behind him, holding up an arm to block the heavy rainfall. The storms getting worse and I'm not looking forward to the walk out of here, but then again I'd rather be drenched than prodded with more needles and creepy narrowed eyes.

"Oh no we don't," I begin as Leon leads us down a small path and into a graveyard just outside of the church, "I've had enough of creepy villagers and talk of demented beings, can't we walk through a nice field of flowers instead?" I groan, my eyes scan the numerous gravestones, vines hang from nearby trees and the ground sinks inwards as I step forward, as if the earth wants to swallow me hole.

Leon throws me a pointed look over his shoulder and opens his mouth to say something, but before he can the creepy villagers appear from the shadows, more leak through the church doors, heading our way armed with weapons and flaming torches.

"On second thought, a stroll around the dead doesn't seem to bad." I lightly say, trying to make a terrifying thing seem more approachable. I'd rather waltz through the graveyard than be captured again. Leon begins loading his gun, aiming it up as the villagers get closer and closer, his arm reaches out and tucks me behind him, but I turn my head and see more people behind us.

"Leon, you've got to give me a weapon." I mumble, a slight trace of fear in my voice. I smother it down as I reach for Leon's knife, but he frowns and shakes his head.

"You'll probably end up cutting your hand off." He grunts. I whimper as the villagers finally reach us, the flames of their torches warm as I make a split second decision and pull his knife out anyway despite his protest.

Milliseconds later the first villager darts for Leon, he pulls the trigger and ducks under the swinging axe. I stumble back and fall right onto my ass, the knife clutched in my palm as one man reaches for me. I have absolutely no experience with knife fights, so I swing blindly, cutting something as an arc of blood sprays on my clothes. I don't have time to react before another woman wraps her arms around my shoulders, yanking me up brutally. I wince as her sharp nails dig into my skin, my knife clatters as I yelp and stomp on her foot.

"Get down!" Leon shouts, his blue eyes wide as I force myself to the ground. A gunshot rings out and suddenly the woman's body begins falling on top of me, I roll to the right just in time before she lands with a thud. My nails dig into the mud as I grab the knife, stumbling up and regrouping with Leon who has taken out at least half a dozen villagers.

"You alright?" He calls out as more people surround us. I let out a noise between a snort and a laugh. "Traimatised and cold, but alive for now." Leon nods, his eyes scan the people as if he's calculating a way out.

"Run to that building when I say." Leon says, I nod as I move closer to him, our shoulders touch as I wait and wait. "Now!" He calls out, making me jump right into action. We both sprint to a nearby building that looks similar to the rest I've seen. Leon stops to shoot as I keep running, aiming for the door until it suddenly opens and a man with dark hair and stubble beckons us in.

"Hey, in here quick!"

I don't argue, I throw myself through the doorway, almost falling head over heels as I catch my breath. Leon runs in after me as the stranger bolts the door. He turns to us and grins in a friendly manner, but Leon looks pissed.

"Are you alright? Did you get hurt?" Leon turns to ask me, his face full of concern. I shake my head, looking down as I realise just how much blood is on me, I begin to shake, reality settling in as my mind finally recognises the fact that I've hurt people tonight, possibly even killed. I know it's a case of me or them, but still.

"Hey," Leon says, softly but demanding, his hands reach out and cup my face as my legs tremble, "Don't check out on me, I need you okay?"

I nod, clenching my fists as the stranger watches our interaction. "I see you found your missing senorita."

I frown and flip him off, not in the mood for playful games. Leon seems to be the same, his brows returning to their natural frown, it makes me wonder what he's been through to be naturally unhappy.

Shouts come from outside and I head to the window, seeing the villagers approach yet again. I panic, I can't kill again, I can barely stand up as it is with my jelly legs. Shit.

"Luis, Help me with this." Leon calls out to the the now named stranger. Luis nods and helps Leon move a heavy piece of furniture that was blocking some kind of tunnel. I head to it but pause, the cold draft makes my skin crawl combined with the small space and infinite darkness.

"I- I can't go in there." I shake my head, backing away as the door thumps loudly. Luis purses his lips as Leon grabs my shoulders.

"You trust me, right?" His blue eyes search mine, I stare back, finding pure honestly and compassion. I nod, and hesitantly climb into the tunnel. I sit for a while, ignoring the loud bangs and obvious sound of scuffle until the gunshots ring out, each one makes me flinch until I can't take it anymore, I begin to crawl forwards, abandoning Leon and Luis.

Only a short time and half a panic attack later I end up outside, shivering and dirty I stand up and stare at a bridge just a short distance away. I could make it if I run, and nobody would follow because they're occupied being killed by Leon, and maybe Luis if he ends up having more bite than bark.

I take a step forward, but something holds me back, a pulling feeling in my chest. Not a something, a someone. I can't leave Leon, no matter how much I want to, he trusts me and I trust him.

The backdoor to the building rattles from the sound of conflict inside, something big is in there and I don't like Leon's chances. With a deep breath I swing open the door and see chaos. "Hurry, this way!" I shout, Leon and Luis both nod and run towards me, I waste no time heading for the bridge, not even bothering to see if the men are behind me.

I stop once I've crossed, with the men at my heels. Leon shoots the drawbridge just as one villager stands underneath, within seconds he's splattered and blood coats the ground like a carpet.

I think I've reached my breaking point. My breath comes quick as I double over, tears fall down my face as my legs grow weaker than before. Leon catches me just in time, holding me up against his chest as I fall apart. His arms wrap around me and his hand strokes my hair, the feeling oddly soothing and I soon stop crying. Luis watches with concern but doesn't interrupt.

"You're alright now, I've got you." Leon murmurs, my throat tickles and I begin coughing, hackling as I put a hand to my mouth, only for it to come away with blood.

"Is this the first time you've coughed up blood,?" Luis solemnly asks, reaching for my hand. I nod, panic taking over once again.

Ah shit, now isn't the time to be having a medical emergency.

"It's the Plaga, but luckily there's a way to remove it." He adds, smiling as he backs away.

Leon purses his lips, "We need to get rid of it fast." Luis nods and turns around, calling over his shoulder "I'll contact you further details soon."

I watch with shock, then begin laughing from the mixed emotions. Anger replaces the sadness and I spin around, punching the wood of the drawbridge. Leon grabs my hand forcefully, pulling me to him as I pant heavily.

"I know it's a lot, but you've gotta channel that anger into getting through this, I meant it when I said you can't fall apart, I need you to have my back." Leon warmly smiles at me, his fingers lift my chin up as I take a deep breath and nod.

"Let's go sort this shit out, I want to go home." I mumble, Leon nods and hesitantly wraps an arm around my shoulders, when I don't punch him or argue, he relaxes and I find myself leaning into his warmth, my heart beating faster as we follow the trail together.