Reward | Imagine

Leon steps into the boat first then holds out a hand for me, gratefully I grab onto it and not so stealthily climb into the boat, my hand squeezing Leon's. Once settled opposite Leon on the floor, the boat suddenly rocks and I cling onto the edge with my eyes squeezed shut.

"Not a fan of boats?" Leon asks, I shake my head and hear the revving of the engine, I peek open an eye to see Leon pulling the cord, his muscles putting on a fine show for me that somehow makes me feel better for a few seconds, until the boat starts and Leon gives me an encouraging smile. "It'll be a short trip."

I give him a pointed look in return and ease my grip on the side of the boat, I take a deep breath as we begin to head out into the lake, the breeze chilly but somehow nice as my hair is swept back away from my face. The smell of the salt water fills the air and I begin to think this is actually alright. Then the boats engine splutters and completely stops.

"The fuck?" Leon mumbles, his eyes glance to check on me as once again panic consumes me. I look around as Leon tries to get the engine started again, my senses are on high alert and something tells me we aren't alone.

"Leon?" I gulp, seconds later a massive wave rocks the boat. Leon jolts forwards towards me but catches himself before he collide, I let out a small squeak of fear as my knuckles begin to turn white from the death grip I have on the edge of the boat.

"Something tells me that wasn't Nemo." I  worriedly say, Leon's brows knit together as he gives me a 'what the fuck' look. I tend to joke when I'm terrified.

"It's okay, just make sure you-" Leon begins but all of a sudden a massive black salamander looking thing crashes out of the water and dives over the boat, water falls on top of us, drenching us to the core as Leon tackles me to the boat just in time to save me from becoming a snack.

Before any of us can get another word in the boat spins and we're being dragged across the lake by the monster. Leon's eyes quickly check me over before he sits up and grabs a harpoon from the floor, he aims it and throws, it hits the monster as it makes some growl noise but continues full speed ahead.

Leon tugs on the rope and it comes loose, chunks of flesh ripping from the lake monsters side. I wince as it flies towards us, moving out of the way just in time. "Would you mind?" Leon gruffly calls out over his shoulder. I nod and reach for my gun, my body shakes as we speed across the lake, at any second the boat could tip and we'll be perfect little sushi rolls for Nessie.

I aim and shoot repeatedly as Leon throes the harpoon, the monster turns and tries to escape but it's attached to the boat so it isn't going to exactly get far. It suddenly dives under the water and the boat slows, coming to a stop as an eerie silence grows.

Leon and I pant heavily, our eyes rapidly scan the lake for any signs of movement, but there's nothing. "Think Nessie's dead?" I whisper to Leon.

He purses his lips, holding back a smile. Even in the most dangerous and life threatening times I still can make him laugh. "I don't think so..." He drawls.

The water ripples beside Leon just as the monster dives out again, it's mouth open wide and coming right towards us. It makes me jump and my gun slips out of my hands, tumbling into the murky water below. I curse as Leon panics and grabs the harpoon, launching it inside the monsters mouth.

"Think you can swallow me whole, huh?" Leon shouts at the monster as it changes direction and slips back into water. Leon's words are a shock and I can't help where my mind wanders even during this turbulent time.

"I'm jealous of a fucking overgrown salamander." I mutter as we wait for the monster to re-emerge. Leon's eyes widen in shock as he stares at me, he only just catches himself on the edge of the boat as his face shows pure surprise.

I let out a small laugh at his reaction until the monster comes back, dragging the boat once again. Leon growls and turns back, grabbing the harpoon and aiming it, he throws it and hits the eye of the monster, it let's out a ferocious roar before finally falling into the water, it's corpse floats away as we both sigh in relief.

"Why didn't you do that in the first-" I begin, but Leon drops to his knees and leans over the side of the boat, vomiting as I kneel beside him and grab at his shoulders worriedly, his hand comes away with blood on. "Shit." I whisper as Leon's eyes drop and he passes out, falling on me. I catch him just in time and rest his head in my lap as I look around panicking.

"Leon, you've gotta wake up, I can't start the boat. Leon? Leon!"

He doesn't stir, but he's breathing. We have nothing other than weapons so I do the best thing I can. I sit and wait, stroking his hair as I look around every five seconds for another monster or someone watching us. There's nothing.

What must be hours pass and over time I eventually slump my shoulders, I'm uncomfortable amd fearing for Leon's life, until he stirs, groaning as if in pain. I frown down and press a hand to his forehead but he suddenly sits up and looks around desperately, his breath coming quick as he analyses his arms and hands.

"Leon? What's wrong? What can I do?" I ask grabbing his shoulder, his eyes find mine and he relaxes, taking a deep breath. I tried to clean the blood off of his glove whilst he was unconscious, most of it came out luckily.

Leon puts his hand over mine and squeezes, "I'm alright," he murmurs, looking up at the rapidly darkening sky then back at me, he seems different...on edge.

"Are you sure? We can-" I begin but he cups my cheek and leans in, pressing a gentle kiss to my lips to shut me up. My eyes close as I kiss back, then as quickly as it began he pulls away.

"There's a boathouse over there, we should get going." He mumbles. I nod and pull away from him, stretching my stiff arms above my head. Leon reaches for the engine but pauses and looks at me. "After this I promise you'll get that reward you were jealous of." He murmurs, a playful tease in his eyes.

I blush and smile, looking away as he starts the engine and steers the boat to the boathouse nearby.