Never Meet Your Heroes| Imagine

I climb out of the sewer desperately, clinging onto concrete as I pull myself off of the ladder. I roll onto my back, only having seconds to glance around my surroundings before a gun is pointed at my face.

I immediately hold my hands up in a surrender, sitting up slowly as I stare at the man holding the weapon. I've seen his face before on TV and on posters around the city, he's the chief of police, something Irons.

"I'm not one of those things." I desperately say, he narrows his eyes at me before desperately looking around the car park, numerous cop cars fill the spaces, some with doors open as if the cops were desperate to get back here to stay safe. From what I've experienced so far, I'm guessing it didn't do them a lot of good.

I stand up as Irons waves me off with his gun, turning around to survey the area as I dust myself off and check for my weapon. Shit, my guns gone, that means I'm only left with the knife I kept in my boot.

"Are you alone?" Irons suspiciously asks, looking at me no longer with hesitation but more like curiosity, I sense something else there too but I can't place my finger on it.

I hesitate- Leon and I got split up a while ago, but I'm unsure whether to mention it.

I nod, stepping back as my instinct tells me to. Irons' lips tilt into a snakeish smile, he holsters his gun and holds out a chubby hand. "You must've been so scared all alone, I'll look after you now." The way he's still looking at me sends chills up my spine, I take another step back and reach down for my knife. His entire demeanour changes from a helpful police chief to an angry lunatic in seconds, his face reddens as he charges at me, grabbing both my wrists in each hand and pulling me to him.

"I said I'd take good care of you. Yes, look at that young face, such a shame for the world to lose it." He mumbles, his eyes scanning my face like a hungry wolf.

I try to wriggle out of his grasp but he's too strong, he begins to back away heading for the main gate, even as I try to fight against him he's too strong.

"Let go of me you asshole!" I yell, no longer caring about who hears, Irons looks down at me and surprisingly he lets go, but I don't have time to run before his hand meets my face. The force knocks me to the floor as Irons leans over me and grabs the neck of my tee.

"Listen you little brat, don't you want to be-" He begins, but we're interrupted by a side door opening, seconds later Leon steps through holding his gun up, surveying the area.

As soon as his eyes land on us, his brows knit together. I know it's his first day but surely he recognises Irons. Leon storms towards us and Irons drops me to grab his gun, pointing it at Leon. I squeak and launch myself forward to grab it from him, but Irons is sharper than I gave him credit for and turns it to me as he backs away, slipping out a key card from his pocket.

"Lower your gun rookie, don't make me ask you twice." Irons shouts, Leon, conflicted, lowers his gun shakily as he glances at me, I give him a small reassuring nod.

"You're both dead if you stay here. You had your chance little angel." Irons spits at me as he swipes the card and the gates open.

Irons looks at the open gate, then fires the gun right at me before making a run for it. Leon shouts my name as the gate then begins to close, kneeling by my side as his hands roam my body to check for injury.

My eyes finally fill with tears as the situation of what almost happened occurs in my mind. "Did he- did he hurt you?" Leon manages to murmur softly, cupping my face as he finds there's no wound.

I shake my head, then wrap my arms around Leon's neck. He embraces me back, shuddering a breath as I bury my face into his neck. I know we're on borrowed time, soon the hungry monsters will come.

"I'm okay, just rattled and so angry." I whisper, staring at the floor as I will my tears to go away. Leon nods and pulls back, passing me a spare gun. "I'm sorry he wasn't what you wanted him to be." I mutter.

Leon's blue eyes meet mine, he gives me a small smile as he helps me stand. "You know what they say, never meet your heroes." 

I give him a watery smile just as a door booms open and some undead spill out. I lift my new gun, but Leon gently places his hand over the top of it, lowering it to the ground before he nods at another door near us.

I nod in agreement as we both sprint to it, once again a team.