Mafia AU| Imagine

AN: I'm not sure how you all feel about AUs...I wrote a soulmate one near the beginning of this book but I thought of a mafia AU and wanted to write something. 

PS. I've got some Death Island imagines coming soon ♡

------------------------------------

I finish packing my bag, then open the window and throw it into the bushes below, thankfully everyone's too busy getting ready for the wedding and aren't around. I huff a laugh to myself, wondering how my life went from being a steady but average one to now suddenly being engaged to the heir of a mafia empire. All because my mother got us into this debt and dealt with the wrong people. 

I debate jumping out of the window, but it'd be a shame to ruin this outfit. I take one last glance around the grounds of the mansion, taking in my escape plan and the route I've been working on for the last few days. I close the window and begin my escape, shoving on my boots I grab my penknife and sneak outside of my room, a few staff look at me weird but I don't stop to talk. 

I dash past the main hall where I'm supposed to be in an hour, then finally I'm outside and in the open air. I sprint as fast as my legs will go towards the gardens, but just as I think I'm free, a figure steps out from behind a water fountain, and I almost run into him. 

"Fuck, sorry." I mumble, looking up into the bluest eyes I've ever seen. The man, practically a sculpture come to life, smirks and looks behind me. I follow his eyes, but see nothing but the looming mansion behind me. 

"Seems like you're in a rush to get somewhere? Or maybe away from something?" The man asks, arching an eyebrow as he watches me curiously. 

My eyes widen as I realise I forgot my bag. Shit, this escape plan is rapidly failing. I shake my head and force a smile. "Nope," I say, "Just going for a quick run." 

The man laughs and it's like music to my ears, my smile becomes genuine as he tilts his head at me. "Really? Aren't you staying for the wedding?" 

My mouth opens and closes, I quickly think of a lie. "I can't. Doctors appointment." I shrug up a shoulder. What kind of lie was the dumbass? 

The man grins now, stepping closer to me. I force myself to stay still as he invades my space, his hand reaches out and strokes my cheek before his fingers grab my chin and lift my head to meet his gaze. "You're going to be a wonderful wife." He deeply murmurs, "Run all you want, but I'll catch up." 

My breath hitches. "Fuck." This is the man I'm supposed to be marrying. Leon Kennedy. I've never met my fiancé but his tone tells me everything. I'm not going to lie, if he wasn't part of some mafia family I'd be tempted to say yes, but I know once I'm in, I'll always be a target to soemone. It's dangerous. 

"You've got such a beautiful face but your language is so dirty," he whispers leaning in, I gasp and pull away, shoving him back. 

"I'm not fucking marrying you! You're dangerous. Cruel. You break the la-" 

Suddenly Leon chuckles and grabs hold of me, shoving me over his shoulder as if I weigh nothing. I grip onto him so I don't fall, but I hate being carried away from my freedom like this. "Put me down, I swear I'll stab you!" 

"Who's the dangerous one now?" Leon teases playfully, holding me tighter as if he senses I'm going to try get away. I wriggle and fight but by time I get loose we're inside and in the main hall, where numerous eyes are on us. 

"She's just a bit eager, wanted me to bring her in so we can get started." Leon announces to the crowd. Some laugh as others cough. I blush deeply as he carries me down the aisle, setting me on my feet in front of everyone. 

I seethe with anger, but Leon's eyes just watch me with amusement. "Do something, I dare you." He mumbles as a man comes towards us, I'm guessing he's the one who's going to marry us. 

"Fuck. You." I whisper, shoving my hands into my pockets. Leon just smiles as the vows begin. I look at my family sat at the back, they're sad but desperate, and despite my hatred for what they've pulled me into, I know I can't let anything happen to them. 

In the end I let Leon slip the ring onto my finger, noticing his surprise when I'm suddenly compliant. When it's time to kiss Leon just leans in and grazes his lips to the corner of my mouth, whispering "When I kiss you next, it'll be when you want it. I'll never hurt or touch you without you wanting me to." 

I frown at him, but nod and feel comfortable with him a little more. His honesty is refreshing, and for a second I long for him to actually kiss me. "Okay." I whisper in reply. 

Afterwards I go upstairs and get ready for the afterparty, I know there's no escaping now, especially because right at this moment a deal between my parents and Leon's parents is being signed. My family will be safe, and I need to keep it that way. 

When I get downstairs now dressed up, I find Leon waiting for me. His eyes widen when he sees me, and he hold out a hand but then pulls it back as if remembering his earlier words, but people expect us to be a couple, so I reach out and grab his hand, linking our fingers together. "We should at least pretend to like each other in front of others." I mumble quietly. 

"Only one of us has to pretend." He half smiles, then he leads me to the hall where there's now tables, food and music. We dance and I tolerate his hands on my body, but he never makes me feel uncomfortable. He dips me and for a second my breath catches, until I look at the doorway and see a group of masked men holding guns. 

"Leon-" I begin, but he's already pulling me behind a table as the gunshots begin. I tuck my knees up, shaking as Leon pulls out a gun from his suit jacket, he looks at me with concern and slips it off to reveal a white button down that fits his muscles perfectly. 

"Here," he says softly, wrapping the jacket over me, "Stay still and cover your ears. Don't move, I'll come back for you." 

He leaves to go as people shoot at each other, people scream and run, but I'm too shaken to pop my head up and see. I grab Leon's wrist, my eyes wide and scared. "My family."

Leon nods, "I'll protect them, but you're my priority."

I gulp as he disappears into the chaos, I cover my head as glass and bullets fly about, my body shakes and it feels like an eternity until Leon comes back, a small cut across his cheek. The bullets have stopped and it's pure silence. 

We look at each other for a second before I reach out and throw myself around him. His arms squeeze me to his chest as I take deep breaths, I'm not going to admit out loud that I was worried about him. I finally stand with Leon's arms wrapped around me, and see the masked men dead along with a few guests I didn't know. 

I look up to Leon, terrified to even ask. "They're okay, your family got out just in time, they're safe. We should go, it's not safe here." 

I nod, willing to go anywhere as long as I'm away from the death and destruction, but then again this is my life now. "Where are we going?" I ask as Leon helps me step around some of the debris. 

"Home." He breathes out, stopping to cup my face, his thumbs brush my cheekbones as he leans down, and it's me who presses my lips to his, closing the distance between us. 

He pulls away after a short time, and I begin to think that having him as my husband isn't terrible after all. Apart from the whole mafia thing, but that's just part of the package.