Dead of Night| Imagine

The sudden sound of a gunshot wakes me up, I dart up in bed clutching the covers to my chest for a second before springing into action, grabbing my boots and a jacket to put over my pyjamas. I slip out of my room, the sound of my footsteps echo around my father's mansion as I try to head to the front door. It must be the dead of night, the monsters only come out at this time.

As soon as I get to the stairs I see the first body, I don't know her name, I just know she helped with cleaning and was a lovely woman to me, now her throats wide open and the blood trickles down the stairs like a waterfall, drip drip dripping.

I cover my mouth to keep in the scream, my instincts tell me not to go down the stairs, but I don't have any choice. I've got to get out of here, no matter what.

I hear voices coming up the stairs, so I dart into the library, rushing between the shelves and squeezing in a small alcove as I control my ragged breathing. Three more gunshots sound and I slip down the wall, tears trickle from my eyes as I shake. Suddenly the library door opens and my heart beats faster.

Shit, it's the only way out, and now I'm trapped in here. Heavy footsteps approach me in the dim light, my eyes dart to a nearby table, maybe I can slide over it and go around my attacker-

I don't have time to think, I move into action, throwing myself along the oak table, my hope grows until strong arms wrap around me, stopping my movement and pinning me to the surface. I kick and try to break free until blue eyes meet mine along with "It's me, Leon."

My body slumps in relief, I immediately launch forward, breaking free of his grip just so I can wrap my arms and legs around him, Leon stands between my legs, stroking my hair and shushing me gently as I cry.

"I'm gonna get you out of here, but we've gotta move now."

I nod, grabbing his hand as he leads me out of the library and past the bodies of the intruders, all wearing the same uniform and dreaded Umbrella logo.

I kick one of the bodies until a hand suddenly reaches out and grabs my ankle, I scream as Leon turns and puts a bullet through the person's head, splattering my pyjamas with blood.

"You okay?" He asks, I nod but my eyes widen.

"Look out!" I shout just as more soldiers come around the corner, Leon pushes me back and springs into action, dodging punches and bullets whislt kicking and shooting. There's too many though, and Leon gets tackled to the ground by the last one.

His gun skids to my feet as I tremble, watching with fear. Leon tries to fight him off, but it's no use. I grab the gun and aim it, unsure how to actually shoot. Leon's eyes meet mine desperately and I know I don't have a choice, I pull the trigger and the Umbrella solider falls down.

Leon gets up, rubbing his neck where ye was being strangled, I stare at the body I've just killed, my hands shaking. Leon takes the gun from me then leans down to my height.

"It's alright, you did what you had to. Are you hurt?" He asks, cupping my cheek as he turns my head, checking for injury.

I shake my head, but my mind goes elsewhere. Leon knows I'm in shock, so his arms scoop me up and he begins to jog to the front door, it opens with ease and we slip out into the night. I bury my face into his neck, my arms tight around him as I breathe in and out, his scent comforting me.

"I'm supposed to take you to a safe house and leave you there," Leon mumbles as we reach a black jeep, he gently puts me in the passenger seat and crouches down, "but I'm not doing that."

"Why?" I ask, dazed.

"Because you're safer with me, and I don't trust anyone else to look after you." Leon murmurs, his eyes lingering on me for a second longer before he stands and gets into the car, quickly driving away from the mansion and onto the main roads.