Grenade| Imagine

"Get out of here, there's too many!" Leon shouts to me and the rest of our team as he unloads the bullets of his gun onto the undead, a few fall but the horde is still growing as the automatic doors continue to open.

The team begins to back up without being told twice, I begin to follow them but quickly realise Leon isn't following, he's still stood at the doorway shooting like a madman.

"What are you waiting for, an invitation, go!" Leon calls out, briefly looking back at me. I shake my head and grab my gun, reloading it as I join his side. Leon curses under his breath as more undead approach, we're forced to take a few steps back into the corridor, definitely not a good place to be right now.

"Leon, we've got to leave them, there isn't enough time!" I shout over the gunfire, I try to pull his arm but he shakes me off and gives me a pained look.

"We can't let them get outside, there's still civilians out there." He mumbles, and I finally understand his intentions. He doesn't plan to get out of here, he's just holding his own for as long as he can.

My breath comes quick as tears fill my eyes. I know our job was dangerous as hell and we all knew the risks, but I'm still not ready to die, but I'm not leaving Leon on his own. "Alright," I whisper, my heart shatters as Leon's blue eyes bore into mind, a look of betrayal crosses his face as if I've hurt him, his eyes flick back to the undead, as if he's thinking of how he can get me out and buy time. "We'll do what we can."

Leon grunts before turning back to the horde and shooting. I do the same, reaching down to grab another clip I find our ticket out of here. Pure hope fills me as I grab the grenade, already popping off the metal and launching it at the group before grabbing Leon's arm.

As if in slow motion, Leon looks to me and smiles just a bit as we both turn tail and sprint like our lives depend on it. He grabs my hand to tug me faster as the zombies approach our old spot, the automatic doors in front of us open just as the explosion rocks the building, throwing me and Leon flying as we land outside in the open.

We both lie on our backs for a while, both in pain but alive. I stare at the sky, before finally laughing. Seconds later Leon joins me, his hand finds mine as we go hysterical, flames begin to coat the sky which is our cue to move. I sit up groaning before helping Leon, as soon as we're stood he pulls me in and kisses me quick and hard, then lets me go.

"You're so stubborn and I fucking hate it, but thanks for saving my life." He murmurs as we walk to the front of the building to catch up with the others.

"You're so heroic and it's annoying, but you're welcome." I swipe back, nudging him with my shoulder as he chuckles.