Ghost Of Who I Used To Be| Imagine

The heavy rainfall causes my hair to stick to my face as I stare up at Leon's apartment. It was only a few weeks ago this place was like a second home, but since our breakup I haven't been back.

An approaching car stirs me out of my thoughts, so I step out of the road and into the building, taking the stairs to the third floor where Leon lives. I knock on the door, my heart pounding as I wait. And wait. And wait.

I knock again and hear some movement inside, worry chips away at me as I press my ear to the door, praying that Leon isn't in trouble, or worse, he's got a girl over. The door suddenly opens and I just about catch myself on the doorframe, my head snaps up as I meet those blue eyes I used to get lost in.

"Y/N?" Leon says in disbelief, a closer inspection and I see his clothes are wrinkled, his hair isn't as neat as usual and there's a faint scent of alcohol on his breath.

"Hello," I breathe out, straightening my clothes as I stand up, "can I come in?"

Leon nods and steps aside, the apartment is just how I remember, though it's still just as empty, I guess Leon still hasn't processed that this is his home now and he can decorate how he likes.

"Why are you here?" He asks as he closes the door, his brows knit together as he corrects himself, "I mean, what are you doing here? Is everything okay?"

I nod as I sit down, my earlier confidence and speech long gone. "I just wanted to see you," I smile, "I know it's been radio silence my end."

After we broke up, Leon kept checking on me, but I couldn't stand to talk to him, so I went quiet and haven't responded to his texts since. I've been thinking about our relationship, and how it ended for a stupid reason, in all honesty I was hoping I could get him back today, or at least apologise.

"Yeah, you really know how to cut someone out of your life." He mutters, a trace of anger in his voice. Okay I deserved that.

"Look, I'm not going to tip toe around this, I'm sorry how things ended between us, I don't know about you but...but I still love you." I say, avoiding his eyes as they stare at me.

His mouth opens and closes as he lets out a ragged breath and runs a hand through his hair. "Of course I still love you," he frowns, I look at him with hope until he adds "but we can't be together, things haven't changed."

"You mean you're still trying to close yourself off from everyone?" I ask snappily, crossing my arms as we begin the same argument as always, the one that led to the breakup.

"I'm not myself Y/N, my job...it's not like I can just leave that shit at the door when I come and go, the memories, they stick. I can't protect you if I can't even hold myself together!"

My breath comes heavy as the truth finally comes out, he used to just brush it off, but now Leon's actually opening up. "I don't need protecting." I reply, shaking my head as Leon stands and paces the living room.

"You don't know that, I can't risk losing you, if something happened- I can't. I'm just a ghost of who I used to be, I can't weigh you down with that." Leon says as he begins to shake, his voice cracks as he slumps onto the couch, putting his head in his hands as his eyes fill with tears.

My heart shatters, but I keep it together with love. I kneel between Leon's legs and cup his cheeks, my thumbs brush away the tears as his sad eyes meet mine. "If you're a ghost then haunt me, you say you'll weigh me down then let me hold you up, I promise I'll never let you deal with anything alone. Ever."

Leon finally cracks, nodding as his arms wrap around me and scoop me up, I end up in his lap, kissing him as he squeezes me to him, as if he's worried I'll disappear. It's messy and passionate, a desperation on both sides as we make up for lost time and say silent promises between gasps and groans.

We end up in bed, I lie on Leon's chest as his arms wrap around me, my hand traces the scar he has on his shoulder from a bullet wound he got in Raccoon City. "I love you." He murmurs, kissing the top of my head softly, a massive contrast to the rougher times earlier.

"I love you too." I smile, closing my eyes as I listen to his heart, happy knowing that it's all mine to treasure.