Can I Call You?| Imagine

My phone pings loudly beside my head, I groan and forcd my eyes open, reaching out to grab it, my eyes water against the brightness and it takes me a few seconds before I can actually see any of it.

I frown, seeing it's coming up to two in the morning. Under the clock I then see what woke me up; a text from my boyfriend Leon.

'Sorry to wake you. Can I call you?'

I sit up, my heart already beating faster as worry overcomes me. Why the hell would Leon want to call me at this time? Is he hurt or in trouble?

Instead of texting him back I immediately call him, putting the phone on loudspeaker as I bite my nail and wait for him to pick up. It doesn't take long until he does, and the first thing I hear is him let out a ragged breath.

"Leon? Are you alright?" I sleepily say, clearing my throat as I wipe the sleep from my eyes.

"Yeah, well kind of, actually not really. I just wanted to hear your voice." He mumbles, not sounding like his usual self.

"What's going on? Are you hurt? Has something happened?" I panic, already reaching on the floor for my clothes in case of an emergency.

"No! No I'm okay, I..." Leon passes for a minute, I stare at the phone in anticipation, "I just had a really bad nightmare."

My shoulders slump, and whilst I'm not happy he's alone and scared, I'm glad he's not in danger. "Do you wanna talk about it?" I hesitantly ask, slipping back in bed and tucking the covers around me to fight off the slight chill.

Leon huffs a laugh but it's not genuine. "Trust me, you don't want to know. How are you doing though?"

It's my turn to snort, "Well I was having a lovely dream and snuggled up like a hibernating bear." I lightly say, smiling to myself as Leon chuckles.

"Ah, that's the best way to sleep." Leon teases, "Why are you asleep so early?"

I frown and recheck the time on my phone, I was right before. "Uh Leon," I drawl, "It's two in the morning, I went to bed at midnight."

Leon curses under his breath, "Shit, I'm sorry I didn't realise it was so late. I'll let you go back to sleeping-"

"No it's fine." I interrupt, I wait for Leon's reply, only hearing heavy breathing again, I know this one well, he's panicking about something. "Hey Leon, why don't you come over tomorrow? We can go out somewhere and spend the evening watching movies." I say to help distract him.

"Sounds good." Leon mumbles, and I realise my method isn't working. I sit up again, running a hand through my hair as I quickly think.

"Do you want to come over now?" I suggest, but I doubt he'd-

"If you're okay with it, I don't want to keep you awake or anything." Leon immediately replies, sounding hopeful and kind of desperate.

I nod even though he can't see me, "No it's fine, I want you here."

Leon takes a deep breath and then exhales, "I'll be over in ten."

With that I hang up and put on my slippers, then head to the kitchen to make some tea. Seven minutes later I get a message on my phone from Leon, telling me he's outside the door. I frown and go to unlock it, when I open the door I find Leon standing there with red rimmed eyes and disheveled hair. He's holding a backpack with what I presume to be his clothes or essentials.

"I didn't want to knock and wake the neighbours." Leon mumbles as I let him in and lock the door behind him. He heads to the table where two mugs of steaming tea sit, but I grab his arm for him to face me.

When he does his eyes drop to mine and I give him a small smile. "You're gonna be alright." Leon stiffens but nods, then drops his bag to his feet and wraps his arms around me, his chin rests on my head as I breathe him in and hug back.

After a few minutes he pulls away and reaches for the tea, but I grab it and nod towards the bedroom. Leon sighs and follows me. "Did you bring pyjamas?" I ask as he heads to the window, peeking outside at the city beyond.

"Yeah." He curtly replies. I give him a look as if to get the hint, and Leon begins undressing and puts on his pyjama bottoms as I put the tea on the side and grab my extra blanket, smoothing it on the bed since I know Leon likes the weight and fluffyness of it.

Once done I climb back under the duvet Leon follows and slips in his side, I pass him his tea before I grab my own, and we both sit sipping for a few minutes. "I'm guessing the nightmare was worse than usual." I mumble.

Leon nods sharply, his hands clench around the mug as his eyes squeeze closed. I set my empty mug aside and grab his one, pulling it out of his hands gently then I carefully wrap my hands around his, my thumbs rubbing the tops as he slowly relaxes.

"You're here with me. You're safe and I'm safe. Nothing is going to happen to us, we're just gonna sit here in this bed and do whatever you want." I softly coo, Leon gulps as he nods, opening his eyes.

He leans towards me and kisses me gently, then lies down on his side. I do the same, facing him as his arm drapes around my middle, our breaths mix as we watch each other. "I think we should go to the aquarium." I muse.

Leon's lips tilt a little, "Yeah?"

I nod, "I'd love to see the turtles, sometimes I feel like a turtle when I wear one of your hoodies, especially when the hoods up and my face is peeing out."

Leon chuckles as his other arm reaches under my head and pulls me towards him, his chin rests on my head as I kiss his neck once and let out a small yawn.

"You can go back to sleep now." He deeply murmurs. I shake my head.

"What about you?"

"I'm alright now, I can't lose you if you're in my arms." He whispers.

I realise his nightmare was about me. My hand presses against his bare chest, my fingers dance across his skin as he closes his eyes, his breathing slowly beginning to even out.

"You'll never lose me." I whisper as my own eyes begin to close.