Double Date (1)

"The stars are beautiful tonight, don'tcha think, Maki Roll?" Kaito asked as he wistfully gazed up at the night sky filled with millions of dazzling, glittery stars. He and Maki were sitting on the grass, stargazing.

   "Yeah," Maki replied with a small smile and a blush. "Then again, they're always beautiful. They seem more beautiful when I'm with y-"

  "Hey, look, Maki Roll! That's the Big Dipper!" Kaito interrupted excitedly, pointing up at the constellation. He traced his finger across the handle down to the scoop. 

   "Yeah, I see," Maki replied, fidgeting awkwardly. Ever since she and Kaito got back together, she was hoping Kaito would pay attention to her just as much as he would on space. But it seemed that Kaito hadn't changed. Maki decided to try to get his attention again. She slightly edged closer to him. "The stars seem kind of...romantic, huh?"

   "Huh? Romantic?" Kaito asked, raising his eyebrow in confusion. "I mean, I guess so. I'd like to see a star up close! All that burning passion that shines with infinite intensity...kinda like me!"

   "What about me?" Maki asked, fiddling with one of her pigtails.

  "What do you mean?" Kaito asked. Maki moved closer to him and stared into his eyes, trying to create a romantic mood.

   "Is there anything in space that reminds you of me?" she asked. Kaito blinked at her. 

   "Haha, oh, yeah!" he replied with a wide smile. Maki nodded, eagerly waiting for what he had to say. "Your shirt reminds me of Mars because of how red it is!" Maki's face fell.

   "Oh," she mumbled dejectedly.

   "Why're you sittin' so close?" Kaito asked. "Do I have somethin' in my eye?"

   "No," Maki muttered. "I was just-"

   "MAKI ROLL!!! A SHOOTING STAR!!!" Kaito interrupted, jumping to his feet. The shooting star zipped across the night sky. Kaito shut his eyes excitedly. "Haha! Make a wish, Maki Roll!" When he didn't hear a response, he cracked one eye open. "Uh...Maki Roll?" He turned to see Maki walking away. Confused, he dashed after her. "Hey, Maki! Hey! Where are you going?"

   "Back to my room," Maki replied curtly. 

   "Huh? Why?" Kaito asked. 

   "I...just have things I need to do," Maki mumbled. 

  "Oh..." Kaito muttered, rubbing the back of his head. They headed back inside Casa V3 in silence. As Maki was about to head up the stairs, Kaito broke the silence. "Well, you think you'll be done in time for more stargazing?"

   "No," Maki responded, briefly flashing him a pained look. For a second, Kaito caught a glimpse of Maki's eyes, which were slightly red and wet. Kaito blinked in surprise as Maki headed silently upstairs. He scratched his head, wondering what was wrong with her as he headed towards his room. As he walked, he heard giggling coming from Gonta and Kokichi's room. The door was open, so Kaito peeked in to see what was going on. Kokichi and Himiko were sitting criss-cross next to each other on Kokichi's bed. Kokichi was holding Himiko's hand, and with his other, he walked his index and middle fingers up her arm, causing her to giggle. She turned to look at him, blushing as she did so. He lightly kissed her nose, causing her to squeal with delight and look away. Kokichi used the opportunity to wrap his arms around Himiko and kiss her cheek repeatedly, causing Himiko to laugh harder. Kaito stuck his tongue out in disgust. He could never for the life of him understand how someone like Kokichi had a girlfriend. He never understood how anyone could love a liar like him. But there it was, plain and simple. Despite Kaito's disdain for Kokichi, he had to admit that Kokichi must have been doing something right to keep Himiko by side. He sighed and cleared his throat before walking in.