Kokichi Meets Himiko's Mom (4)

"So, Kokichi, is it?" Fumiko asked, looking up at Kokichi.

  "Hm? Oh, yes, ma'am," Kokichi responded. After seeing how Fumiko treated her daughter, Kokichi was a bit wary of her. 

  "So, what made you want to date my daughter?" Fumiko asked. "She is not very skilled with her magic. She lacks beauty and brains, so...what do you see in her?"

   "M-Mommy!" Himiko exclaimed. Grammy, Tomiko, and Kimiko stared at Fumiko in disbelief.

   "Nyeh...mommy, are you okay?" Tomiko asked.

  "Hush, child," Fumiko said before turning back to Kokichi. Kokichi stared at her intently. 

  She has to be fake, or something, he thought to himself. Himiko never mentioned her mom being like this! This really can't be her mom!

   "Oh, believe me, dear, I am," Fumiko answered with a smirk. Kokichi gaped at her in shock. She read his mind! "Please, answer me."

   "Well, Himiko's pretty funny," Kokichi replied. 

   "Looking?" Fumiko asked.

   "No! She has a sense of humor," Kokichi corrected. "And, you know what? I think she's adorable." He turned to smile at Himiko, who smiled gratefully at him in return. 

  "Oh? So, what do you two do for fun?" Fumiko pressed. 

   "Well, we..." Kokichi said hesitantly. Though Fumiko was behaving in a belligerent manner towards her daughter, Kokichi still didn't want to lie to her. But he wasn't exactly sure how Fumiko would take it about him and Himiko pranking people and getting into all sorts of other mischief. She definitely wouldn't approve of him being the supreme leader of an organization that commits petty crimes and pulls pranks. 

   "Nyeh...we're in art club and book club at school," Himiko replied promptly. Kokichi stared at her in disbelief at how she deliberately lied to her own mother. 

   "Is that so?" Fumiko asked. "Is that true, Kokichi?"

   "Yes, ma'am," Kokichi nodded. He didn't appreciate Himiko lying to her mom, but he decided to go along with it, anyways. 

   "I see," Fumiko said, watching the two closely. She cleared her throat before turning to Grammy. "Mommy, could you please take Tomiko and Kimiko to their broom lessons?"

  "Sure, dearie," Grammy said, standing up from the table. "Let's go, girls." Tomiko and Kimiko stood up from the table, leaving Kokichi and Himiko alone with Fumiko. 

   "Will you two please follow me to the backyard?" she said. Kokichi and Himiko followed Fumiko in silence to the backyard. The backyard was fairly large with a beautifully-trimmed lawn sprinkled with vibrant and colorful flowers.