Kokichi and Himiko's Great Penguin Rescue (2)

"Okay, everyone! Get into groups of three and jump onto the bus!" the science teacher announced. The students attending the field trip spread out to find their buddies before heading onto the buses. Himiko spotted Angie and walked over to her. Angie waved happily at her.

   "Nyeh...Angie, do you wanna be in my-" she began.

   "HIMIKO, THERE YOU ARE!!!" Tenko exclaimed, rushing over to Himiko and grabbing her. "Be in my group!" Himiko groaned to herself.

   "Okay, but...I was gonna ask Angie if-" Himiko started, trying to yank her arm away from Tenko.

   "Okay, she can be in our group if that's what you want, Himiko," Tenko sighed, glaring at Angie. She turned to Himiko and gave her a large grin. "But you should definitely stay by my side the entire time, so you won't get lost!"

   "Whatever..." Himiko mumbled. Although she was feeling better from what happened the night before, she was still in a quieter mood than usual, which meant that she just was trying to recoup. She was looking forward to a nice, quiet day at the zoo, but she knew that, being around Tenko, it wasn't going to happen. There were times when Tenko was okay, but today, she was being way too overbearing. The trio climbed onto the bus. 

   "Would you like an aisle seat, or a window seat, Himiko?" Angie offered. It didn't matter to Himiko, so long as she could get some peace and quiet. She opened her mouth to answer, but Tenko grabbed her arm and yanked her away.

   "It doesn't matter which seat so long as she's sitting right next to me, right, Himiko?" Tenko asked. 

   "Um...well..." Himiko mumbled. 

   "Of course that's right!" Tenko said. "Here, you sit right next to me! I'll make sure you're safe and comfy!" Tenko nudged Himiko next to the window so that she could be a barrier between Himiko and Angie. Tenko turned to glare at Angie in the seat across from them, then turned back to Himiko with a wide grin. "See? Don't you feel safe and comfy already, Himiko?"

   "...Sure," Himiko muttered, turning her attention to the window to look outside. She sighed, now dreading the trip to the zoo. She knew Tenko was going to talk her ear off. Soon, the buses lurched forward. 

   "Oh, my gosh! This is gonna be so much fun, right, Himiko?!" Tenko exclaimed.

   "Yeah," Himiko muttered. 

   "I can't wait to see the cute, little animals, like the pandas, and tigers, and the gorillas...the baby ones, of course," Tenko continued. "Won't you like that, Himiko?!"

   "Uh-huh..." Himiko mumbled, letting out a pained sigh as she closed her eyes.

   "I knew you would!" Tenko said. "I can tell you're really trying really hard to contain your excitement, right now! But, you don't have to hold back, Himiko! You can let it out all you want!"

   "Believe me, you don't want me to let out what I'm holding back," Himiko muttered, rolling her eyes and leaning her forehead against the window. 

   "Wow! Whatever it is, I bet it's something really powerful!" Tenko exclaimed enthusiastically. 

    Please, please, please, let us get there fast, Himiko begged in her mind. Tenko went on babbling as Himiko closed her eyes and let her mind wander. She tried thinking happy thoughts that would keep her mind off of D.I.C.E., or being a goody two shoes, and especially Chatty Cathy sitting right next to her. She thought back to what Kokichi said to her about them making a great team. She smiled to herself, remembering their past adventures. 

   "Himiko! Himiko, are you listening to me?!" Tenko asked, shaking Himiko out of her thoughts. Himiko shot Tenko an annoyed look. "What's wrong, Himiko? Are you okay?!"

   "I just...wanna be left alone," Himiko muttered.

  "Oooohhhh...I understand!" Tenko said. She faced forward, finally leaving Himiko alone. Himiko sighed in relief. Just as she was about to drift off into another reverie, however, Tenko nudged Himiko with her elbow. "Hey, Himiko, I know what'll make you feel better!! How about we play a game?"

   "Tenko..." Himiko sighed heavily in exasperation. 

   "Oh, my gosh! Are you mad at me?!" Tenko gasped. "Am I talking too much?! Am I bothering you?!" 

   "No...just...I just wanna be left alone," Himiko muttered. 

    "Is it a degenerate male?" Tenko growled. "You let me know, Himiko, and I'll Neo-Aikio chop his head off!"

   "No..." Himiko groaned. 

   "Tell me what's wrong, Himiko! You can tell me!" Tenko said. 

  "Just forget it," Himiko sighed, massaging her forehead. Tenko's face wrinkled up in sadness.

   "Why won't you tell me, Himiko?" she cried. "I'm your best friend, aren't I?" Himiko clenched her fists.

   "Nyeh...I shouldn't have to tell you if I don't want to," she growled. "If you were really my best friend, you'd know that sometimes...I just don't wanna talk." 

   "Oh..." Tenko muttered, wiping away a tear. Himiko turned away. She really wished that Angie was sitting next to her right now. She felt guilty for thinking that way, which is another reason why she sometimes wanted to keep her distance from Tenko. Sometimes, Himiko felt like the bad person hanging around Tenko. She knew Tenko wanted her to express herself more often, but there were also times when she just wanted some time to herself for some peace and quiet. Tenko always felt the need to get Himiko to express her emotions, making Himiko feel really cross with her. But because Himiko felt cross, she also felt like the bad guy for not opening up to Tenko. She also felt that if Tenko was really her friend, Tenko should know when she wanted her alone time. Himiko sighed. Things seemed much more simple with Angie, and even Kokichi.

   It was finally quiet now that Tenko shut up and was now sniffling to herself. Hearing the sniffles, Himiko felt guilt stabbing at her gut. She didn't want to come off as mean, nor was she trying to, but she couldn't shake the feeling that she was the bad guy. Feeling conflicted, she rolled her eyes, wishing the day would already end. She seemed eager at first, but now her morning was ruined, and she feared the rest of the day would follow suit.