Shuichi's Dilemma (1)

"Shuichi! I brought some lunch for you!" Kaede announced as she walked through the doorway into Shuichi and Kaito's room. Shuichi looked up from the case file he was examining and smiled at her as she placed a bowl of oatmeal sprinkled with blueberries on his desk. Kaede gave him an apologetic grin. "Er...well, I guess it's not exactly lunch, but I didn't want you to have a heavy meal while you work on your case, and oatmeal seems light and healthy enough for you."

   "Thank you, Kaede," Shuichi replied, giving Kaede a grateful smile. He scooped a spoonful of oatmeal and a blueberry into his mouth.

   "No problem, Shui-cheeks!" Kaede replied, leaning forward to give Shuichi a kiss on his cheek. Shuichi blushed.

   "D-Do you have to call me that?" he muttered bashfully. Kaede gave him a teasing smile.

   "Oh! Would you rather be called 'Shuichi Pie?'" she giggled. Shuichi's blushed deepened as he smiled and shook his head.

   "Haha, that's even worse!" he laughed. The two were caught in a fit of giggles. Kaede wrapped her arms around Shuichi.

   "Well, I like those names for you!" she murmured. "Because it's true, Shuichi! You really are a sweetie pie! You're my Shuichi Pie!" Shuichi shrugged bashfully.

   "Well, um...I guess I don't need to ask what flavor of pie you prefer," he joked. 

  "Oh! I like apple!" Kaede replied.

   "What?! " Shuichi exclaimed. Kaede burst into laughter.

   "I was joking, Shuichi!" she said. She held his face in her hands and pressed her lips against his nose. "You're the only flavor of pie for me!"

   "Um...okay, well...um...I, um...I'm glad, Kaede," Shuichi mumbled as he continued to blush. He swallowed hard as Kaede continued to stare into his eyes. "I-I...I have to get back to my case, now."

   "Oops! Did I fluster you too much, Shuichi?" Kaede asked playfully.

   "N-No! I...just...r-really have to get back to this case," Shuichi stuttered. 

   "Okay, then. I'll see you later, Shuichi," Kaede said, kissing his cheek. "And good luck!" 

    "See you around, Kaede," Shuichi responded with a small, shy wave. Once Kaede left the room, Shuichi sighed with disappointment. As he stared at his bowl of oatmeal, he was disappointed in himself for spending all his time trying to solve cases, instead of spending time with Kaede. She was kind enough to bring some lunch to him, but he didn't remember anything he had done for her lately. He sat back in his chair, wondering what he could do for her. He sighed as nothing came to mind, which made him feel like a horrible boyfriend for not knowing the proper way of showing his feelings of gratitude towards her. He decided that he needed a change of scenery to help jog his mind. 

   "I need some air," he muttered to himself as he stood up and left the room. He headed outside to the front yard, where he heard low murmurs and giggling. He turned to see Kokichi and Himiko sitting underneath a tree. Kokichi was playfully walking his index and middle finger up Himiko's arm before tucking a strand behind her ear to give her cheek a few kisses. Himiko was blushing and giggling. A tender smile crossed Shuichi's face. Before Kokichi and Himiko became a couple, Shuichi knew about Himiko's crush on Kokichi. He was happy for Himiko, and for Kokichi, as well, that they became a couple. He thought it was cute, seeing the two behave in a playful, lovey-dovey manner with each other.