Shuichi Saihara, Where Are Ya? (5)

They drove up to the lighthouse, where they could see the churning waves crashing against the cliff below them. 

   "Watch your step!" Bessie warned as she led the others up the steps to the front door of the lighthouse. They followed Bessie inside, looking around in wonder.

   "Like, this place is pretty cool, man!" Shaggy exclaimed. 

   "Thanks!" Bessie replied with a large grin. "The Sea Green Sentinel is made up of three floors, er...well, four, if you count the very top where the bulb is. Down here, we have the kitchen, dining room, the living room, and a bathroom. The floor above us are the bedrooms, and the floor above that is the study. If you want, I could make you guys dinner, and you can stay for the night."

   "Spending a night in a lighthouse? That definitely doesn't sound boring," Kokichi said. Bessie smiled at him.

   "Well, that's one way to describe living in a lighthouse: not boring," she said. "You guys can make yourselves at home and chat while I make dinner." She left the living room and headed for the kitchen. 

   "So, what do you guys think of that Finnigan O'Malley?" Fred asked. 

   "He's definitely someone to watch out for," Shuichi replied. "His motive seems pretty clear."

     "Reah!" Scooby said, smiling at Shuichi, who smiled back at him.

   "Shuichi's right," Velma agreed. "He was very eager to threaten us and Bessie. I wouldn't doubt if he was the one who scared the others away." At that moment, the front door to the lighthouse opened up.

   "Bessie, you in here?" a male voice called out. 

    "In here!" Bessie answered from the kitchen. "We have guests!"  The others watched as a young man, who appeared to be in his mid-twenties, walked into the living room. He was wearing a light gray construction worker uniform with the name of his company written in small print onto his shirt. His boots made muddy, watery footprints on the floor. He rolled his eyes and scoffed.

   "Don't tell me...you're clients of Ivana, aren't you?" he asked them. Scooby looked around in confusion.

   "Rivana...where?" he asked.

   "Who's Ivana?" Shaggy asked. 

   "Never mind," the man sighed in relief. "As long as you're not with her, it doesn't matter."

   "Nee-heehee...is she an ex-girlfriend you're running away from?" Kokichi teased. The man stared hard Kokichi. 

   "No," he replied, blinking. Then, he smiled. "Haha, no, but she's just as annoying and relentless as one."

   "Hope you guys aren't talking about me," Bessie said with a wry grin as she walked in. "Dinner will be ready, soon," she informed them. "Hope you guys like clam chowder."