Fairy Godgirlfriend (Fairytale AU) (3)

The next day at Hope's Peak, Kokichi meandered through the hall on the way to first period. He seemed to be on autopilot, since he wasn't paying much attention to his surroundings like he usually did. He didn't even notice when the other students would swerve out of his way to avoid him, in case he decided to trip them, or shoot surprise spitballs at them, or do any other kind of mischievous thing to them. Much to their surprise, Kokichi merely kept walking. That's how Kokichi spent the entire day at school...silent, bored, and lonely, though he'd never admit that last bit out loud to anyone. The only time he would snap back to reality was when he would crane his neck or shift his gaze every now and then as if he were looking for something, or someone. After a while, however, he gave up. After school let out, he walked to Casa V3 in silence and headed to his room without giving anyone his usual mischievous and sneaky smiles. He sighed as he plopped himself onto his bed to lie down. 

   "Wishing on a star...what the hell was I thinking?" he muttered to himself as he stared bitterly at the wall on his side of his and Gonta's room. Suddenly, he heard a knock at the door. He shot up, wondering who it was, and why they were knocking on his door. Gonta wasn't in the room, so they couldn't have been knocking for him. Kokichi remained silently, thinking that the person was mistaken in thinking that Gonta was inside.

   "Kokichi!" came Maki's voice. Kokichi frowned in confusion. Why was Maki knocking for Kokichi? She hated his guts. Could she have been the friend Kokichi was waiting for? He hoped not! Nevertheless, he climbed out of bed to answer the door. 

   "Yeees?" he asked cautiously. 

   "There's a girl at the front door asking for you," Maki answered. Kokichi stared at her, puzzled. He didn't know of any girls who would want to see him. He didn't know of anybody who wanted to see him.

   "Who is it?" he asked. Maki shrugged.

   "I don't know," she responded. "I've never seen her." 

   "W-What does she look like?" Kokichi asked.

   "Why don't you go find out?" Maki answered. "She's probably still standing at the door." Before Kokichi could ask anymore questions, Maki walked away. Kokichi took a few hesitant steps out of his room, his heart beginning to beat faster. Could this girl possibly be the one he'd been hoping for? Driven by hope and curiosity, Kokichi's pace began to quicken as he neared the front door. As he reached his hand for the knob to open it, he paused. He didn't want to get his hopes up too much. After all, he was probably making a big deal out of nothing. Maybe he lost something of his, and she only came to return it. Maybe, unbeknownst to him, she was one of his prank victims, and she came over to kick his butt. With these thoughts in mind, Kokichi shook his head and took a deep breath.

   "You're overreacting," he muttered to himself. "Just open the door already!" No matter how hard he tried, however, he just couldn't shake the feeling that maybe, just maybe, his loneliness would finally come to an end. Forcing himself to get over himself, he grabbed the doorknob and threw open the door. On the other side stood a girl slightly shorter than him. She had short red hair tied up into a side ponytail, and a heart-shaped silver hairpin with a white gemstone on it clipped to her bangs. Her eyelids slightly drooped, which made her appear sleepy. She wore a baggy, white hoodie and red shorts. On her feet were a pair of red converse shoes. Kokichi felt his heart drop. This girl seemed so ordinary and boring. Kokichi didn't know what to expect, but he wasn't expecting someone like this girl. He thought she'd be more...exciting, or livelier, or mischievous. Something that screamed "soulmate for life."