Smoking In the Girls Room (End)

The next morning, Himiko was back in the bathroom before school, brushing her hair as she looked in the mirror. Behind her, the door to the bathroom opened up. Junko and her friends, along with Mukuro, entered the bathroom.

   "Well, well, well, look who we have here," Junko said, crossing her arms and smirking at Himiko as Himiko continued brushing her hair. "Awww...hair not cooperating? What happened? Did you fall off your broom on the way to school?" Junko and her friends burst out into laughter. Himiko calmly put her hat on and straightened it before taking a deep breath and staring Junko in the eye.

  "Yeah," she replied. "What's your excuse?" Junko's friends fell silent and awkwardly looked away. Junko stared threateningly back at Himiko. 

  "Hardy-har-har," she said sarcastically. She offered a cigarette to Himiko. "Cigarette? Oh, wait...I forgot. You don't want your insides to look like your...ashtray." Junko and her friends giggled while rolling their eyes. 

   "Well, unlike you, I enjoy breathing," Himiko said. Mukuro let out a quiet chuckle. 

   "What are you laughing at, Moo-Cow?" Junko asked.

   "I'm sorry," Mukuro replied quietly. Junko rolled her eyes and scoffed. She held the cigarette out to Himiko again.

   "Here," she said. "Smoke it!" Himiko's heart pounded in her chest. She remembered Kokichi, however, and felt a wave of calm wash over her. She looked up at Junko.

  "No," she said firmly. 

   "Pffft...what else would I expect from someone who wants to be a little girl for the rest of her life?" Junko said.

   "Says the one with little bear hair ties," Himiko said. A small smirk formed onto Mukuro's face. 

  "Fine! I guess this means you want your secret to be revealed," Junko said. Himiko shrugged.

   "I've got nothing to lose," she said.

   "Except your chances with Kokichi," Junko sneered. 

   "There's other fish in the sea, I guess," Himiko answered. Junko rolled her eyes. 

   "Whatever! C'mon, girls! Let's go, Moo-Cow!" she ordered, walking towards the bathroom door. Mukuro looked back at Himiko with a small smile of respect before leaving. When she was alone, Himiko took a deep breath and smiled. She had stood up for herself and never felt more proud of herself than in that moment. 

   ***

   Later that afternoon, during lunch, Himiko worked up the courage to sit next to Kokichi. She spied him sitting with Gonta at a table at the far end of the cafeteria. Taking a deep breath, she hurried over to the table before she could chicken out. As she approached the table, Kokichi and Gonta looked up at her.