chapter 168: cold as ice

the next afternoon during lunch, you decide to break the news to your classmates. "so guys, last night me and a few others had a bit of a conversation." you reveal, "anything juicy?" mina asks curiously, "well, when we graduate, some of us will be starting our own hero agency. we wanted to see if anyone wanted to join." momo explains. "who all has decided already?" tooru asks, "kyoka, ochako, izuku, momo, shoto, katsuki, and i are all joining. tenya, eijiro, and tsuyu are not." you explain, "im in." tooru and mina say simultaneously. "where is it going to be?" shinso asks, "close to UA." you answer. "then ill join." he says with a smirk. "me too!" denki exclaims while sero nods rapidly. "i can join." sato agrees, "same here." tokoyami adds. "sorry, but no thanks." koji says shyly. "im going to a more rural area, sorry." shoji denies. "im staying with fat gum." tetsutetsu adds. "good to know, ill write that down." you say with a grin.

about a half an hour later, best jeanist walks into the classroom. "now then, todays exercise should be fairly obvious. with our two new hero course students, we will be assessing their skill while at the same time reassuring some of our first year students. the two of them have already chosen to fight (l/n) and jiro, so the two of you will be going with snipe for now." as he says this, snipe walks in and gestures for you and kyoka to follow him. as you leave, you hear best jeanist start addressing the other students. "so what are we doing exactly?" kyoka asks, "we are barging in on the first year hero course class. as of now, they are doing one of aizawas quirk assessment tests." snipe explains, "alright, so what does that have to do with us fighting mark and kate?" you ask, "we are going to have them come watch you fight. hopefully it will show them that the loss of all might and several other teachers will not mean an apocalypse." at this point, you are about to walk out to where the first years are. "sounds like a plan. basically, cheer up these kids by fighting mark and kate?" kyoka sums up. "exactly."

the two of you walk across a bit of a field towards the first years. "hey there aizawa!" you greet loudly. "what are you two doing here?" he asks suspiciously, "me and kyoka are just here to interrupt for a while. we are about to fight a couple first year like them. figured it would do them well to see some people a lot stronger than them in action." you smirk. "does that sound good to you all?" kyoka asks the crowd of students. "YEAH!" they all shout. "fine. where is this happening?" you guys can go over to the final exam viewing room. we are going to be using the city arena, same rules as our first year finals. except this time, we are the ones playing the villains." you say, "alright. ill use the loudspeakers to tell you when to start." he says before turning around and leading the class away.

"begin." aizawa says tiredly. you and kyoka stand in front of the escape gate, waiting for mark and kate to show their faces. "what are their quirks?" kyoka asks, "telling you would ruin the fun." you grin. "whatever, they are almost here." kyoka sighs while retracting her jack from the ground. "so i was thinking, earphone jack feels a bit long to shout mid combat, how would you feel about me calling you jack?" you ask casually, "you know im a girl, right?" she glares at you, "i know, give me some credit at least. i just thought it would be cute, like a little nickname." you explain, "whatever, but only for hero work." she sighs. "obviously." you look forward and see both mark and kate sprinting full speed at you. "whats the plan?" you ask, suddenly switching to alert. "i wanna try fighting them head on, so you stay back for now. if they get too close to the exit, then we will swap." she explains before running at the duo.

as she swings at kate, but misses and is immediately kicked by mark. kate bulls out a razer blade from her belt, and slices her finger with it. mark glances at it, you even away from the fight, you feel a blast of heat. "you good jack?!" you ask, "uh, yeah!" she responds before dashing at the pair again. "stop!" kate says firmly, however it clearly doesnt effect kyoka. mark suddenly hugs kate, and puts his hand out to stop kyoka. she goes to punch him, but the instant she makes contact she falls to the ground like a ragdoll. you overclock x70 and pick her up, before bringing her back a ways. "you good jack?" she doesnt respond, and feels cold to the touch. "mark, what did you do to her?!" you ask angrily, "took her body heat. after your suggestion, i decided to work on lowering the temperature around me. she wont be waking up for a while." he answers smugly. you lean down to her face, and feel her breathing still, filling with relief. you lie her down on the ground, and turn back towards kate and mark. "your strong, ill give you that." you grin, "but im stronger." you dash at the pair of them, and feel the air heat up rapidly. you pick up kate, and throw her directly at mark. the two go tumbling backwards, and land in an unmoving heap. you turn around to walk back to kyoka, but get kicked in the back of the head, knocking you over. before they can follow up, however, you fire an overblast in the direction of whoever kicked you. with a small cry, you hear kate go down. "alright, the protector and earphone jack win." aizawa says boredly. three different medbots carry the others away, and you head to the viewing room. 

"that was so cool!" a student shouts as you enter, "thanks!" you smile. "is that all? are you done now?" aizawa asks, "how much time is left in this period?" you ask, "twenty minutes." he answers, "perfect! since the arena is relatively undamaged, lets try something. do you guys think you could beat me?" you ask the students, "of course we could!" one of them shouts. "why dont we put that to the test? all of you, versus me." you offer, "thats probably not a good idea (y/n), i dont want anyone hurt too badly." aizawa says, "im gonna go easy, dont worry! can we do it?" he nods and leads everyone to the arena.

the entire class lines up, and you stand in front of them. "everyone know the plan?" a student asks, "ranged on the flanks, support in the middle, and melee up front." another answers. "that was your first mistake! if everyone knows the formation, then no reason to tell your enemy! you only ever strategize in front of who your fighting in a dire situation." you scold, "now, attack me." you order. several of them run directly at you, however when they get too close you jump behind the whole group. "behind us!" one of the girls panics, "rope." you whisper into your HUD. from a compartment in both your legs, the unbreakable rope shoots up to your hands. before anyone can react, you wrap up as many people as you can. within moments only two students remain. "can he teleport?!" one of them asks the other, "no, he is just fast. i think i can take him though." the other responds. "lets see about that!" you rush at the two and tie the panicked one up, however the other evades you. "just as i thought, your speed cant beat my reaction time." she taunts. "but can you hit me?" you ask, "of course i can!" she runs at you clumsily, and tries to punch you in the face. you dodge and tie her up, causing her eyes to widen. "what?! how?! nobody can outdo me!" she yells angrily. "heres some advice, there is always someone better than you. if you figure out who that is, you can try to surpass them. i know exactly who my biggest rivals are, and work daily to make sure i can defeat them." you explain, "have your succeeded yet?" she asks, "for some. there is still one i can never hope to beat, though." you answer, "right...thank you." she says with a small frown, "no problem. aizawa, i gotta go now! later!" you walk away, and as soon as you are out of sight, you rush to the infirmary.

happy Valentines day!