chapter 148: good luck heroes

*kyoka POV*

"its over." as soon as (y/n) says those words he walks out of the room with best jeanist. "h-huh?" i ask in shock, "im sorry, i tried to convince him otherwise." aizawa says while lowering his head. "d-did he? just break up with me?" i feel tears start to well up in my eyes, "yes. we discussed this a few days ago, he called it code black." aizawa says sadly. "kyoka! are you okay?!" mina bursts through the door with momo, denki, izuku, and katsuki behind her. "quiet down!" recovery girl scolds, "hold on, whats wrong?" denki asks, finally noticing my sobs. "can you tell them or do you need me to?" aizawa asks quietly, "i can do this..." i mutter, holding back more tears. "(y-y/n) brok up with m-me." i stutter out, "he what?!" katsuki screams, "where is he? im not mad, i just wanna talk." denki says, "everyone stop, he had his reasons. even if i dont agree with them, i will respect them. directly after the sports festival is wrapped up, i need every student in the common space, understood?" aizawa asks sternly, "yes, sir." momo says before turning to me, "are you going to be okay until then? i can stay with you until the awards ceremony if you want." she offers. "n-no, i want to be alone." i answer.

after a teary-eyed reward ceremony and an awkward bus ride, the class made it back to the dorms. "listen up, because im only saying this once. (y/n) has been arrested and is already in jail. before he left, he broke up with jiro and gave me envelopes for all of you. any questions?" aizawa asks coldly, "wait, he was arrested?!" eijiro asks in surprise, "yes. when his quirk awakened the forcefield cut through the ground and jiros earphone jack." he answers. "im gonna kill him." katsuki says, shockingly calm. "whats gonna happen to him? is he gonna be back?" tooru asks, "he will get out eventually, but there is no chance of him being a hero. his sentance was about fifteen years in tartarus, with a similar cell to what all for one used to have." he says blankly. "isnt there anything we can do?!" mina asks angrily, "nope. school starts again on monday, enjoy your weekend." aizawa says blankly before walking out of the building. "guys, open your letters..." shoji says hesitantly.

hey kyoka, now that im gone i have some things to say. ojiro was right, i cheated on you with tooru. i never actually loved you, and im shocked you ever really believed me. fuck you, and fuck everyone else.

"tooru...is that true?" i ask while silently crying, "what? what do you mean?" she asks, "did (y/n) cheat on me? w-with you?" i ask, "what?! of course not!" she says defensively, "what did your letters say?" katsuki asks reluctantly, "t-that he groped me while i slept." momo sobs, "he said i should have never gotten one for all." izuku says, "mine said he regrets not just leaving when his parents died." mina adds. "so these are all bullshit?" tenya asks while everyone gasps, "did you just swear?" tsu asks in surprise, "yes, because i felt it would be appropriate. anyway, these are very clearly lies." tenya answers, "how so?" momo asks sadly, "really? give (y/n) some credit! he would never do those things!" he explains, "well we never thought he would turn into a villain either." sato argues, "and he never really did! ask mina! he never actually broke any laws or hurt anyone. we also know for a fact that the league of villains saw him as an enemy after that! just look at when momo was kidnapped. also, if you are referring to before U.A, he was a child! he was preyed upon by manipulative people. we know that his only source of anything positive was his younger sister, however that was ruined by his parents neglect." tenya rants, "i think aizawa was in on this too. when (y/n) broke up with me, aizawa said he tried to stop him." i add. "thats it! (y/n) was trying to keep us away from him, considering recent events i would say he planned it a matter of days ago. he wrote fake letters and went to aizawa, knowing he could be arrested falsely at any time. he broke up with you for the same reason, he doesnt want our futures to dragged down by his arrest. this was one last ditch effort to protect us further." izuku explains, "that fucking idiot!" katsuki yells in anger. "what now?" i ask sadly, "we move on. i want to get him back as much as you all do, but we cant fight the law." momo says calmly.

over the next few days, japan goes into an uproar. the public and the law split down the middle, because of (y/n)s case. when schools re-opened on monday, big name hero schools were completely abandoned. all of U.A, shiketsu, ketsubutsu, seiai, and seijin lost all of their students. everyone left, in uniform, out of protest. the next day the staffs shortly followed, beginning a massive protest across japan. #GoodLuckHeroes became a trend overnight, on every social media platform heroes would publicly quit and fully retire.

"hello, my name is toshinori yagi, previously known as all might. i previously retired from hero work, however i am now announcing that due to the actions of the hero association, i am no longer working for U.A either. i believe (y/n) (l/n) was wrongly imprisoned. one of the main reasons people did not trust him, was due to him hiding extreme power. i am here to say that until my forced retirement, i also hid my true form. in fact, since then i have healed slightly and can somewhat maintain my muscle form. its time to fear, citizens. why? because young (y/n) is not here. good luck heroes."

"you should know who i am, but i will still introduce myself. i am enji todoroki, i used to be endeavor. i am now fully retiring from any hero work, as i feel i can no longer represent the higher ups. much like us all, (y/n) (l/n) had skeletons in his closet. he was unlucky enough for them to be fished out, unlike mine. in the past, i worked my children to the bone. to a point one of them ran away, i also pushed my wife to burn our youngest sons face. we all have our dark pasts, it makes us who we are. if we as a society are going to arrest (y/n), then arrest me as well. good luck heroes."

"hey! my name is rumi usagiyama, also known as mirko! im here to announce my retirement. the law really fucked up this time! my little man (y/n) (l/n) got locked up for a crime he committed over five years ago. along with a bunch of my close friends, i fought with him several times. he is just as, if not even more heroic than me. just watch, alright! if even once he tries to escape or cause any sort of trouble, i will come back! good luck, you stupid heroes."

"hello. my name is shota aizawa, and you dont know me. i am the pro hero eraserhead, and the homeroom teacher of class 3A. i am making this on account of all U.A staff and students, we are done. due to a poor decision, you have lost the future generation of heroes. U.A is closed until further notice, and all the students have relinquished their provisional licenses. good luck heroes. your gonna need it."

"where do i begin? well, my name is unimportant. you know me as the number one american hero, anti-matter. i chose the wrong side in this battle, and i regret it. i wanted (l/n) to be brought to justice, but not completely ruin him. while working with him, he showed extreme heroics. he carried a man spewing lava out of a city by hand, and also practiced with overblasts powerful enough to guide a missile out of orbit. i am officially leaving japan forever. i refuse to leave america in a state of ruin. good luck, heroes."

"yo, my name is keigo takami. i used to be known as hawks. i feel a bit young for retirement, but times are tough right now. im not doing any sort of hero work anymore, after all, the hero association locked up someone just as heroic as me. looks like my dream of heroes with time to kill is going to hell, right along with this country. good luck heroes."

just days after hundreds of heroes retired, the citizens followed suit. from interns to CEOs, thousands of people quit their jobs. soon enough, japan fell into ruin. crime rates soared, and unemployment reached an all time high. this continued over the next two months, until one news article changed everything.

"kyoka! get down here!" i hear dad yell, i run down the stairs and see him and mom sitting with aizawa. "aizawa!? what are you doing here?" i ask, "you must not be keeping up with the news, U.A is re-opening." aizawa says with a smile, "why? are we just going to forget about (y/n)?" i ask, starting to get irritated. "not quite, with the protests happening, the hero association was forced to give in. the deal is that the hero schools will open now, and return everyones provisional licenses, however (y/n) will be given a chance to redeem himself." aizawa explains, "what about the pros that retired?" i ask, "they stand strong. all of them agreed that once (y/n) is set free, they will return." aizawa answers. "basically, he came to make sure you would be back and in the dorms." mom sums up, "of course i will be. will this mean that (y/n) will be able to have visitors soon?" i ask curiously, "yes, i will contact you when he can." aizawa replies. "thanks, when does school start again?" i ask excitedly, "tomorrow." "see you then."