chapter 172: "i dont approve"

as you fall, time seems to slow down. 'so i really did this...but why? i thought i was happy...and why dont i feel afraid?' you watch the pavement get within two feet and it suddenly feels as though time itself has stopped. 'whats going on? i still feel calm. isnt death scary? i guess i should know that...but even still. i feel like i just woke up from a long nap. fulfilled, even. why?' as the sidewalk gets ever closer, you suddenly a tug on the back of you shirt. still completely emotionless, you stare up at who caught you, seeing fumikage with a look of shock on his face, hovering with dark shadow. "hawks! i got him! lets go!" he shouts urgently, starting to fly you over the city. you remain silent until landing in a shady part of town, with seemingly abandoned buildings littering the area. "what the hell was that?" hawks asks, "im not sure." you admit, "i went up there to think, and the next thing i knew i was climbing over the railing." "well when we get back to U.A, we are going to sit down and have a serious chat." fumikage warns. "right." you deadpan. "anyway, what are you guys doing here?" you ask, "well we came to save you. nobody who knows you has a london license, so we are here to help you get out. we are going to fly out of here as soon as we are finished talking." hawks explains. "i see. just keep a tight grip on me. im not sure why i leaned off the building, but it might happen again." fumikages expression darkens, and he takes a step closer to you. "i dont know what is wrong with you, but i intend to figure it out. because you are not the (y/n) i know. whether that be because of trauma, some sort of quirk, or maybe you arent him at all. just know im keeping you at an arms length for now." he warns. "sure, whatever." even though you mean to add a bit of sarcasm to this comment, even still no emotion shows through. "get me out of here."

the flight goes without issue, and you return to the rooftop of U.A. "how did everything go?" aizawa asks, seemingly having waited on the roof for your arrival. "well tsukoyomi was able to outspeed me, thankfully. i noticed him about a hundred yards out, and tsukoyomi made it there in five seconds. the kid leaned off a building, didnt use his quirk to save himself, and hasnt shown a lick of emotion since." hawks reports. aizawa looks you up and down, and shakes his head disapprovingly. "something isnt normal with him. dont bring him to the other students yet, especially not jiro." aizawa urges. "could it be an imposter?" fumikage asks. "one way to find out." hawks suddenly punches you full force, right off the edge of U.A. you feel your mind become sharp once again, and use overblasts to fly back up to the roof. "well, we have our answer." hawks shrugs. while fumikage and aizawa stare at him in shock. you feel a droplet of sweat drip down your forehead, and look up and aizawa. "what was that?" you ask him, "i should be asking you the same thing. why the hell did you jump off a building in london?" he asks back, "i said i dont know!" as you shout, aizawas eyes turn red and his hair starts floating, signaling the activation of his quirk. after deactivating it, he looks back towards hawks and fumikage. "report back to class A, let them know that (y/n) is back in the country. dont tell them anything else." the two fly away, and he glares back at you. "i need you to be honest, and beyond this point im assuming total forthrightness." aizawa explains, "fair enough." you sit down on the ground, and aizawa quickly joins you. "did you try to kill yourself?" he asks softly, "not this time, no." you answer him. "when did you?" he glances over to you, "pretty much all of my 'heroic' acts. i had no intention of surviving those." you shrug. "thats a problem. a big one. you trying to die an important death is going to make you live a meaningless life. too many of my peers have fallen the exact same way, and i refuse for my student to do the same." aizawa says sullenly. "then what am i supposed to do? just stand by and let the bad shit happen?" you ask him, "no, instead of dying for the people you care about, you live for them. defeat the enemy and be left uninjured. i want you to think for a moment, if you had died back in your first year, when you took the blast for uraraka. what would have happened with overhaul? how about death wraith? all for one? voleraty? now your talking about some angel of death behind the meteor. more villains are going to show themselves. if your going to protect everyone you care about, then dying would make all those promises useless." aizawa says. "i...okay. im going to do better." you promise. "good." aizawa nods and stands up, before offering you a hand. you take it, and he pulls you to your feet. "go see your friends." as you walk away, you glance back to see him just looking out over the U.A campus, seemingly proud.