chapter 71: guilt

the next morning everything begins. "im heading out in five minutes! anyone who wants to come a five needs to come!" izuku yells, however only ochako, tenya, and tsuyu come. "well, see ya later guys." you say, "yea! bye!" izuku says before he runs out the door. "so what did aizawa think of the new rules?" kyoka asks while you eat breakfast, "he liked them, last night me and monoma also got together to make a class A and B 'schedule' of whats happening when, its on the fridge." you explain, "is anything there i dont already know?" kyoka asks, "well, instead of starting to leave at five they start at five fifteen so they are a bit behind us, so if you somehow miss your group you can go with them, same with us." you explain, "what about ojiro?" eijiro asks, "well, monoma is staying close to him so he doesnt try anything." you explain, "dude, how in the world did you handle monoma all night? hes so annoying!" mina asks, "he isnt bad when you get to know him, plus i had to stay up all night anyway, it was nice having some company." you explain, "true, but are you going to be able to get through class on such little sleep? you are the first person to start the chain." momo asks, "i should be fine." you say blankly, "five thirty crew, lets go!" shoto shouts, you see momo, sero, kaminari, shoji, tokoyami, koda, sato, and tetsutetsu go with him. "he (y/n), im not upset or judging, just curious. why am i not a viable option to be outside with?" eijiro asks, "well, its nothing against you, its partially pure strength, but also an extreme sense of selflessness. a possibly dangerous one, we need to remember that if all for one attacks he could take our quirks, at that point our only hope would to be escaping." you explain, "and you four would willingly be the distractions..." eijiro finishes sadly, "exactly, and if i had to choose a fifth it would be you, but i cant leave the girls alone, could you imagine if all five of us died at once?" you ask him, "thats true. thanks (y/n)." he says with a smile, "(y/n) do you think we are in danger?" mina asks sadly, "no. i am positive you will be fine, if you get injured in any way i will personally murder that person." you say threateningly, kyoka then pinches mina and makes direct eye contact. "dammit, why do you make me break promises?" you ask, "why not?" kyoka counters, "dangit (y/n)! kill her!" mina jokes, "sorry to let you down, but i cant hurt her." "shut up with the sentimental shit! im leaving! anyone who doesnt want to be stuck with (y/n) come with me!" katsuki yells, mina, eijiro, and shinso go with him. another half an hour later everyone else comes with you.

"how are you feeling (y/n)?" aizawa asks when you enter the class, "fine." you say tiredly, "okay, just dont hesitate to say you need rest." he demands, "now today i am announcing the midterms are soon, be sure to study. and shortly after that we will have the sports festival." aizawa announces, "however today we will work on your weaknesses." he adds, "everyone get in your hero costume and go to gym C" he demands. when you are all lined up he begins, "the first thing is figuring out your weakness, (y/n) what is yours?" aizawa asks, "sleep deprivation?" you joke, "serious answer please." he says with a smirk, "probably my selflessness?" you say, "incorrect, its actually your refusing to hurt the girls, imagine someone like toga impersonated jiro. could you win that fight?" aizawa asks, "no." you say, "thats what i thought, you and jiro will spar until you pass out, fight back, or the day ends." aizawa demands, "fine." you say, "but its just going to waste our time." you add. "just go." when he says this you and jiro begin sparring, however you just stand there and take the hits. "fight back (y/n)!" kyoka demands, "no! im not gonna hurt you." you say as she punches your stomach, "(y/n) what if toga turned into kyoka?" aizawa asks, "then if i had no doubt i would kill her, if she could transform into kyoka then that means she has her blood." you say angrily, "and if you had any doubt?" aizawa asks, "then i would die, if she was just going after me with no risk to anyone else then i wouldnt fight back." you explain as she punches you in the nose. "well in that case!" she says before running to ochako, she tried to punch her in the face however before she can you catch her fist. "no. i wont let you hurt any of them." you warn, "then fight back!" kyoka yells at you, "no." you reply bluntly. suddenly she sends her jack to both momo and tsuyu, she tries to stab them but you push her back, taking the jacks with her. "stop kyoka! dont hurt them! they arent part of this fight!" you says angrily, "they are now." kyoka says before running at the class again, she continues to attack them and you continue to defend, until... "fine! take this!" kyoka says before putting her jacks into her boots, instinctively you punch her in the gut to stop her.

"w-what did i do? nonononononononononono..." you start to mumble, "(y/n)! you did it!" ochako says happily, when you look up you see kyoka clutching her stomach. "are you okay? im so sorry!" you say while you run to her, "took you long enough, nice hit." she says with a chuckle, "aizawa can i be expelled?" you ask, "what? why?" he asks in confusion, "i hurt my own girlfriend, how can i become a hero? i should be in a prison." you say sadly, "what? no, she wanted you to hit her." aizawa says, "it doesnt matter, i let my morals go, even for a moment, and it caused her to get hurt." you say sadly, "dude, you realize you were faced with a lose lose situation right? if you didnt hit her then she would have attacked the rest of your family, but you protected the rest of your family by hurting one of them." eijiro says encouragingly, "no...i should have found a way to save you all without hurting kyoka." you say sadly, "why dont you both go to recovery girl?" aizawa suggests, "y-yea..." you say before overclocking and carrying kyoka there. when you get there recovery girl looks surprised at your condition, "(y/n) what are you doing? if anything she should be carrying you." recovery girl asks, "w-we were sparring and i hurt her." you say with disgust in your voice, "both of you sit down. then explain." recovery girl says. "we were working on our biggest weaknesses, (y/n)s is refusing to fight back against me, aizawa had us spar for a while but (y/n) just stood there and took it, i then started attacking the girls so he would fight back, at first he just blocked but when i gave him no other choice he punched me in the stomach." kyoka explains, "why did you attack the girls?" recovery girl asks, "because i knew even if (y/n) didnt fight back he would still block them, i also made sure i was aiming for the girls around eijiro just in case." she explains. "please heal her...i hurt her." you say guiltily, "dude, im fine." kyoka says, "it doesnt matter, i promised to protect you, i failed." you say,  "only to keep that promise to everyone else." she comforts, "i need some time to think some things over." you say, "let me heal you first." recovery girl says, "no." you deny before walking back to the classroom. 

'nobody should be here.' you think, when you walk in you see shinso. "what are you doing here?" you ask him, "i finished already, i just had to find a subject that would make anyone respond." he explains. "shouldnt you be with jiro?" he asks, "no. i cant be near them anymore, i hurt her." you say sadly, "i understand, but you need to think about how much more it would hurt them if you left." shinso warns, "i know, but the can get through it, theyre strong, unlike me. i panicked and hurt the person i care about most." you say as you begin to cry, "is she upset at you?" shinso asks, "well no b-" "then she forgives you, she was happy you hit her, what if someone with a quirk like mine came along and mind controlled her? you would need to fight her, the real her, so the rest of your family could be safe." shinso explains, "yea...i guess your right." you say, "of course i am, now take some time."

later when the class returns everyone just leaves you alone, however after school you still just sit, not wanting to move. "hey (y/n), can you walk us back?" kyoka asks with ochako and mina, "no. im a danger." you say bitterly, "well, are you gonna make us walk alone? what if all for one shows up? what about another alleyway incident?" ochako asks, "find someone else to, i cant stay here, im probably gonna be gone by tomorrow." you say, "what? what happened to you not leaving us? you promised..." mina says sadly, "i also promised that i would protect you, you saw how that worked today. im a danger, you all need to stay away from me." you explain, "so does this mean your breaking up with me?" kyoka asks sadly, 'no...what do i do?' you think to yourself, "i dont know." you admit, "what are you all doing here still?" aizawa asks when he walks in, after explaining your conversation with the girls, he explains his opinion, "you cant leave them (y/n), think about how it affected them when you pretended to be a villain, it broke their hearts. and you arent a danger, is midoriya a danger to uraraka?" aizawa asks, "no, of course not." you say, "well his task today was sparring with her, same with todoroki, kirishima, and iida." aizawa reveals, "so? they earned their trust, all i have done is hurt them." you argue, "kid, stop. you faced your biggest fear just to make jiro feel safe, you saved uraraka and asui from a maniac, you saved tooru from sexual assault, you have been loving arms for momo to cry into several times without fearing an ulterior motive, mina is your actual sister for gods sake! not to mention what we talked about the other day." he says, "please...im supposed to be someone they can turn to when they have nobody else, someone who will make them feel safe, someone to protect them. how can i ever dream of accomplishing that if i injure them!?" you ask angrily, "we all still trust you (y/n), you are still that person to us." kyoka says, "if anything punching kyoka just makes it more true, you didnt even let your girlfriend, the most important person in the world to you, hurt us." ochako says, "yea! and if we were worried you would hurt us why would we be asking you to protect us? if we didnt want to walk home with you we would have asked a teacher, but we still trust you to protect us!" mina explains, "thanks." you say before giving them a hug. "now all of you go home, the day after tomorrow is the midterms."