paranoid

after I left the café, I went to the restaurant I work at. I walk into the kitchen and put on my apron. I put my hair into a low bun and then washed my hands and then I started working.

while I was working I picked up a tray and placed the food on it, and took it out of the kitchen. I brought the plate over to the table and placed it on the table while saying what it is. when I look at the man at the table I saw it was him again.

"Meredith," he smiled.

"... I don't know your name," I said standing straight.

"Derek, Derek Shepherd," he says.

"Officer Shepherd," I nod.

"just Derek" he replies.

"I'm... just going to call you Officer Shepherd because we're aren't friends," I say trying to walk away.

"I have your phone," he smiles.

"yes, you do and I hope you don't use it... respectfully because I don't want you to shoot me," I said before walking away.

I brought the tray back into the kitchen and got back to work.

after I finished my shift at the restaurant, I pulled my coat over my shoulders and went outside to my car. while I was walking back to my car I saw a piece of paper on my window. I picked it up and saw that it was a parking ticket.

"the hell?" I whispered to myself whilst holding it in my hand. I was parked in the parking lot there's no reason for a parking ticket.

"I knew that would get your attention," I heard from behind me.

I turned around and saw him, again. "what is this about? I'm parked in a parking lot," I said turning to him.

"oh, you don't have to pay it, it was just to get your attention," he said before walking up to me and taking it out of my hand.

I rolled my eyes and tried opening my car door before he stepped in front of me. "what do you want from me?" I ask with a sigh.

"I want to talk to you about something," he says softly but seriously.

"and what's that?"

"there was a murder in the town that you live in and I want to see you know anything about it,"

"who was it?"

"You'll have to find out when we talk at the department. you know where it is," he said before walking away.

"you know you could have said that in a more settled way other than putting a parking ticket on my car?" I say. he turned around to look at me. "I'll remember that next time," he said. he nodded and walked away.

I watched him walk to his car and drive away. I got into my car and drove back to my house. when I arrived I got out of the car, locked it and went into the house. I locked the front door before dropping my bag onto the floor, hung my coat up, and kicked off my shoes.

I went into the kitchen and made something to eat. I brought the food to the table before sitting down. I looked through the news on my phone whilst I ate my dinner. I saw that the cop was right and that there really was a murder in the town.

it was a young girl who was only 16. they found her body in a river floating upside down. I turned my phone off and placed it to the side and finished eating. I put my dishes in the sink before going to the front door and made sure it was locked before locking all the windows and closing the curtains.

I went into my bedroom and plugged my phone next to my bed. I went into the bathroom and showered. I dressed into my pajamas then got in bed. I stared out the window for a few seconds before getting out making sure it was locked for the second time and closed that curtain even more closing the small gap.

I kind of wish I didn't know about the murder because now that I know I'm paranoid. I have always locked everything before but now I'm just scared. I was staring at the ceiling for a few minutes before my phone started ringing. I jumped a little at the sound. I groaned as I picked up the phone and answered it.

"Hello," I sighed into the phone.

"Where are you? are you at home? are you safe?" I heard a man's voice say into the phone.

"who is this?" I asked.

"you spoke with me before you left for work and when you left work," he says.

"What do you want?" I ask annoyed.

"Are you safe?"

"Yes,"

"Are you at home?"

"yes,"

"did you lock all the windows and doors?"

"yes, why are you being so weird?"

"We think the killer might be in your area,"

"seriously! I couldn't even fall asleep because of the thought of the killer because I watched the news before I went to bed and now you tell me he's in the area!"

"I'm not trying to scare you, but I'm just telling you so you'll be more careful," he says calmly.

"that literally doesn't help. why are you calling me so late?"

"Because I wanted to make sure you're safe,

"why?"

"because that's my job,"

"did you call the rest of the town?"

"... No,"

"then why me?"

"because you have a calming voice. did I wake you?"

"No, I couldn't fall asleep,"

"Are you tired?"

"No,"

"do you have work tomorrow?"

"No,"

"Why don't I take you to lunch tomorrow? we can talk about everything you're feeling and maybe I can ease some of your fears," he says softly into the phone.

"Are you asking me out?" I giggle.

"if that's how you see it then yes," he chuckles.

"I don't do dates,"

"then it's just lunch between two people, a man, and a woman, and they just so happen to be very attractive,"

"Okay," I yawn. "What time?"

"be ready by three o'clock and I'll come to pick you up, it's safer,"

"I don't have to tell you where I live, do?"

"No, I'll find out, I have my ways," he says.

"of course you do,"

"I know you're getting tired, I'll let you sleep," he says. "goodnight,"

"night," I say tiredly. I place my phone next to me and fall asleep without even ending the call.

 I place my phone next to me and fall asleep without even ending the call