Chapter 88

I woke up the next morning feeling sick, very very sick. I got up and went into the bathroom, throwing up in the toilet.

I walked out of the bathroom and saw Derek sitting up in bed against the headboard.

"Feel any better?" He asked. I didn't say anything as I crawled back into bed.

"We should talk about this," he said. "Shut up," I say before laying down.

"I'm not going to shut up about this, this is a big thing, Meredith. We're going to the hospital," he says.

"No, we're not," I say. "Yes we are, get up get dressed and we're leaving. Now Meredith I mean it," He says.

I roll my eyes getting up. I go get changed and then leave. "why do we have to go to the hospital," I say. "because if we find out why this happened then maybe it will help you move on," he says.

"I asked for a reason not for an excuse," I say. "Meredith, this won't take long," He says. "and why should I believe you?" I ask.

"Would I ever lie to you?" he asks. "yes," I say. "Meredith," he says. "just drive faster, I'm getting tired of this," I say.

he drives a bit faster and we finally make it to the hospital.

****

we're sitting in the exam room waiting for the doctor. "I hope you realize how stupid this is," I say. "it's fine. this will help," he says holding my hand in his.

"I don't want to do this," I say. "you'll be you did this after we're done," he says. "if I'm not do I get to punch you?" I ask. "we'll see," he says. I roll my eyes.

the doctor comes into the room with an ultrasound machine. "don't forget how much I hate this," I whisper. "I don't think you'd ever let me," he says.

"Alright, we're just going to take a look at why you think you miscarried yesterday," she says. she pulls down the sheet and puts some of the cold gel on my stomach.

"I'm not looking," I say turning away and pressing the side of my face against his arm. Derek talks to the doctor while I look away.

"did you hear that Meredith?" he asks. "No, I wasn't listening," I say. "Meredith, this is good," he says. "No, it's not. I miscarried, how is that good?" I say.

"look at the screen," he says. "I don't want to," I say as I start to feel tears in my eyes again. "Meredith, just look," he kisses my head.

I roll my eyes and look at the screen. "I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at," I say. "you see this?" she says as she points to the screen. I nod.

"This is your baby, it's perfectly fine... yesterday you didn't miscarry, the bleeding you had occurred from either a vaginal exam or sex and considering the last I saw you was a month ago it must've been from sex," she says.

"you're telling me I bawled my eyes out all night for nothing?" I say. she nods. "I'm a damn nurse and I cried my eyes out for nothing. I told you this was stupid, I wanna go home," I say.

"yes, but if we didn't come here you would have been sad for even longer for nothing and then in four months you would go into labour and we wouldn't know why," he smiles kissing my head.

"let's go home then," I say. he nods. we leave and he drives home. "Meredith, you should be happy, the baby's fine. Meredith?" he says.

"Hmm?" I say. "you're not happy?" he asks with a frown on his face. "No, of course, I'm happy. I just- I guess I'm still in a bit of shock, that's all," I say.

"Okay, we can talk about it more at home," He says. "ugh!" I groan. "what's wrong with you?" he asks.

"what is it with you and always wanting to talk about things?" I giggle. "thank goodness," he says.

"Thank goodness I'm annoyed with you?" I ask. "No, you laughed, that means you're happy," he says.

"Okay, now you're getting annoying," I say. "that's also a good sign. "The twin's dad keeps calling, he wants to see them again," I say.

"Again?" He asks. "Apparently," I said. "Apparently what?" He asks. He's so damn slow.

"Apparently Lexies been lying to me this whole time," I say. "Who do you believe, her or him?" He asks.

"Him, Lexies been lying about stuff since she could talk," I say. "Where is Lexie?" He asks.

"I have no idea, but I think he wants to take them," I say. "And would that bother you?" He asks.

"No, minus the fact that I don't entirely trust him. I think it would be good for them to see their dad more," I say.

"I just don't want him to take them across the country," I say. "That's a good reasoning," he says.

"And it might be good for him to take the twins," he says. "Why do you say that?" I ask.

"Because we have a baby in the way and we might not have that much time for them with a newborn and they should get that attention from their parents," he says.

"Mm-Hmm," I say. "You don't hate me for saying that, do you?" He asks. "No," I say.

"But keep driving, I feel like I'm going to throw
up," I say. He continues driving us home.

I don't like miscarriages.