New York

MEREDITH

the next morning I woke up. Derek's still asleep. I lift his arm off my body. I grab my things and left the hotel. I walk to the nearest cafe. I ordered some food and coffee, I paid and then left the cafe. I walked back to the hotel and went up to our hotel room.

I walked into the hotel room. when I walked in I saw Derek sitting in bed, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. "Meredith... where the hell did you go?" he asks when he sees me. "I bought breakfast. don't be mad until you've drank some coffee," I say, walking over to him and handing him a cup of coffee.

he looks at me once before he takes a sip from the coffee. "since when do you wake up earlier than I do?" he asks. "I've been waking up early ever since I started working at the hospital so now I wake up early on my own without an alarm clock," I say, sitting on the edge of the bed, next to him.

"bagel?" I say holding the bag in front of me. He glares at me before he takes it quickly from my hand and looks back down. "don't be so sad that I left, I always come back," I say, standing up and kissing the side of his head.

I stand next to him for a few seconds. he doesn't move as he plays with the bag in his hands. "Derek?" I ask, running my fingers through his hair. "Hmm," he Hums quietly. "what's wrong?" I ask. "I thought you left," he says. "I did, I went to get breakfast," I say. "No, I meant I thought... because of last night you would've left," he says.

"what was last night?" I ask. he looks up at me confused. "you don't remember?" he asks. "remember what?" I ask. "Meredith!" he groans looking back down into his lap. "remember what?" I ask, kissing his head again. "the sex, Meredith, the sex!" he says as I see his cheeks turn pink. "oh, that I remember," I say. "what about it?" I ask.

"I thought that's why you left," he says. "why would I leave because we had sex last night, I'm confused," I say. "I told you to take your clothes off. are you sure you actually wanted it?" he says looking up at me, upset. "what? of course, I wanted to. if I didn't I wouldn't have done it," I say sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"you're sure?" He asks. "yes," I say. "you're for sure?" he asks. "Derek, of course, I wanted to," I say. "I don't know why you would think that I would do it if I didn't. If I didn't want I would have kicked you in the balls," I say standing up and taking my bag off the nightstand.

"really?" He asked. "I did it with Andrew, he slapped me across the face for it but he wouldn't walk for a week and the redness went down when I put the ice on it, so it was worth it," I say. "he slapped you across the face when you kicked him for trying to force you to have sex?" he says. "yea, not the point though," I say, going over to my side of the bed.

"it's Andrew De Luca, you can't expect much from him," I say taking a bite from the food. "respecting a person is too much?" I say. "apparently," I shrug. "you haven't seen him since the store, have you?" he asks. "No, but he is Italian and his Dad lives in Italy, so..." I say.

"he's Italian!" he says. "yea," I say. "I'm Italian," he says. "I have a thing for Italians," I shrug. "doesn't he have a sister for something who he likes enough to know how to respect women?" he asks. "he does, he has an older sister and a mother, they're both really nice so I don't know why he is the way he is,"

"Does he hate all the guys his sister dates?" he asks. "No, his sister is Bisexual but she prefers women, so he never knows which ones are her friends and which one she's seeing. she doesn't tell him because he tries to get them to sleep with him... it worked once so now she only dates Lesbians," I say.

"you know her well it sounds like," he says. "I do, I still talk to her and I see her a lot as well, she just never tells her brother and she doesn't live with her family anymore so that helps," I say. "how long have you known the De Lucas?" he asks. "I've known his sister since high school and met her brother then but he was harmless then, but now he has a huge ego and thinks he's better than everyone else and that he has more right," I say.

"you've known his sister since high school?" he says. "you don't have any friends from high school anymore?" I ask, leaning back onto the headboard. "I have one, but he lives in New York, have you ever been to New York?" he says. "I have, once. but I prefer smaller cities, fewer people, quieter," I say.

"like Seattle?" he says. "yes," I say. "my mother wants me to move back to New York," he says. "I thought you're mother liked me?" I say, surprised. "she does, so much that she wants me to take you with me," he says. "I don't like New York, it's scary," I say. "the only thing I like about it is the song," I add.

"what?" he asks. "nothing. she wants me in New York?" I ask. "yes, she wants you to meet my family," he says. "you mean the family, the sisters you say are the spawn of Satan?" I ask. "yes, those sisters. they're are four of them, two of them are not that bad, and the other two suck," he says. "sounds like fun," I say.

"so?" he says. "so... what?" I ask. "you never answered the question," he says. "there was a question to answer?" I say. "do you want to go to New York?" he asks. "I-um, when?" I ask. "in a few months," he says. "so I'll have time to settle in before?" I ask. "yes," he says. "then yes, sure. I just need some time to come to terms with it," I say.

"if you don't want to then-" he says. "no, I want to. I just like to plan something first before I do it, I don't like doing things last minute," I say. "so you're going," he says. "I'm going," I nod, smiling. he leans in and kisses me.