Chapter 104

DEREK

Meredith left to use the bathroom whilst my mother and I stayed in the kitchen. "so how is she holding up?" she asks.

"who, Meredith?" I ask. "yes, Meredith," she says. "she's seems to be fine, she's only cried once and that was when she found out he was dead and that was when she was still admitted into the hospital," I say.

"were you there, where were you when you found out?" she asks. "I had just got off work and I went to Meredith's place to see if she was there and she wasn't. before I could leave or call her the hospital called my phone and told me," I say.

"and you're fine?" she asks. "yes, I wasn't in the accident, ma," I say. "I know, but your fiancée was in a car accident, and there was a chance that she or the baby wouldn't make it," she says.

"did Meredith tell you?" I ask. we didn't even speak about the pregnancy. "I know what a pregnant woman looks like, Derek. you forget I have five children and four of them being girl and they all have three or more, minus Amelia," she says.

"right, sorry. I was scared when I heard the news. but when I got there she was in surgery and I had to wait a few hours before they said anything to me about how she was," I say. she nods so I continue.

"after those few hours they told me she and the baby were fine, but I didn't really believe it," I say.

"believe what?" she asks. "about the baby, Meredith had a miscarriage scare, she cried herself to sleep that almost and it almost broke off the engagement," I say.

"why the engagement?" she asks. "because she felt like it was her fault and she thought I shouldn't be with someone who killed my baby," I say.

"but the baby was fine?" she asks. "yes, there was some bleeding and it scared her. I think in the moment the fear of the blood made it look like more than it was and she got scared and a miscarriage was the only thing that came to her mind," I say.

"was she happy when she found out he was okay?" she asks. "yes-what do you mean 'he'?" I ask.

"the baby, it's a boy," she says. "how do you know?" I ask shocked. I was positive it's a girl.

"she's carrying low and she's five or more months so I thought you knew, didn't you know?" she asks.

"No, but only Mer can confirm that. she wanted to find out when we got the chance but I wanted to wait, only Meredith knows," I say.

"oh, sorry for spoiling it then," she smiles. "how could you tell? you hardly saw her stomach," I say.

"like I said, I carried you and then three girls, I noticed the difference in the pregnancy. some people just carry very low but Meredith's small so it's very clear to see," she says.

a few seconds later Meredith comes back into the kitchen. "we were just talking about you," I smile as I take her hand in mine.

"why?" she asks. "is the baby a boy?" I ask. "I can't tell you that, why do you ask?" she says as she sits down in the seat next to me.

"because my mom seems to think it's a boy, is it?" I say again. "do you want me to tell you?" she asks.

"yes, you can tell me," I nod. "then yes, it's a boy," she says with a smile.

"I was almost positive it was a girl," I say confused.

"well, men don't know much about pregnancy and this is your first kid so it makes sense," she says.

"and this baby isn't your first kid?" I ask teasingly. "no, he is. I just read a lot about pregnancy and you'd be surprised how many people come into a mental hospital pregnant, and a lot of people get pregnant in the hospital, in the cafeteria," she says.

"you people don't notice it being too loud?" I ask. "it's a hospital for the criminally insane, it's always loud," she says.

"has anyone ever given birth there?" my mother asks. "a lot of them, and for some reason I always the person they ask to deliver them," she says.

"at least you'll know how to push it out," I say. "I'm not pushing it out," she says.

"Then what are you going to do?" I ask. "they're going to have to cut it out, I'm not doing that," she says.

"they can give you meds for the pain," my mother says. "it's not that. I delivered a baby once and it was a still birth, I don't want that to happen to my kid, and sometimes the leg comes out first or it's in the wrong position. there's too many risks I don't want to take and if it's a C-section then no matter how the baby is they can get It out perfectly fine," she says.

"I have to watch you be cut open?" I ask. "this isn't about you. it's safer for the baby so I'm doing it. and don't look at my stomach when they do it because then you'll never be turned on by me again," she says.

"you don't have to tell me twice," I say earning a glare from her and my mom.

"does anyone else know the gender other than you, Meredith," my mother asks. "yes, I told my best friend Cristina," she says.

"even Cristina knows?" I ask. how does everyone know but me? "yea, I told her at the funeral," she says.

"why?" I ask. "because I need second opinions on names and if I only talk about boy names with you then you would know it's a boy," she says.

"you could have disguised it," I say. "I tried but you wouldn't shut up about the name Eleanor. you kept of talking about how cute it would be if Emily and the baby's name matched so she would feel included and I didn't know how to say shut up about girl names without telling you it's a boy," she says.

"I was positive it was a girl," I shrug. "well, now you know it's a boy so we can stop calling him 'it'" she says.

"who's it?" Amelia asks as she walks in the kitchen and grabs a bottle of wine. "you're it," Meredith says.

"are we playing a game?" she asks confused. "yes, you're it," Meredith says again. Amelia doesn't say anything.

"I'm so confused," she says pouring the wine into a glass. "do you think she might be an alcoholic?" I whisper to my mother.

"No," she gives me a weird look and rolls her eyes.

Suggestions???