Chapter 86

MEREDITH

the next morning I woke up. I got out of bed and went to the bathroom. when I left I noticed Derek wasn't in bed like he was when I got up a few hours ago, before I went back to sleep.

I went into the living room and saw Derek on the couch. "kids are at school," he says. school started a few weeks ago.

I sit down on the couch next to him. "are you hungry? I can make you something," he says. "No," I say before wincing.

"what's wrong with you?" he asks. "my knee hurts," I say. "when did it start?" he asks. "this morning," I say. "right or left?" he asks. "right," I say.

"put your leg here," he says tapping his thigh. I put my leg over his thigh. he places his hand on my knee and starts massaging it gently.

"How's that?" he asks. "Mmm, that's good," I moan, laying my head on his shoulder.

"Did you tell your mother that I'm pregnant?" I ask. "No. Do you want me to?" He asks.

"I don't care, I'm not telling my mom," I giggle. "Really?" He asks with a bit of surprise.

"Yea. I don't see the point in telling her," I sigh. "When do you think she'd say if you did tell her?" He asks.

"She'd probably tell me how horrible of an idea it is for me to have a child and that I would be a horrible mother and all that fun stuff," I say.

"There's no point. I don't even think care she'd probably just use it as an opportunity to say a bunch of crap again," I say.

"Alright, I was just asking," he says kissing my head. "Why, do you think I should tell my mother?" I say standing up and walking over to my phone. My knee feels much better now.

"No, I was just asking, I was making small talk, that's all," he says. "Or maybe she already knows," I say.

"What are you talking about?" He asks. "There were two unknown numbers on my phone, one was Andrew and the other one I wasn't sure of but now I think I know," I say reading the messages and some of the photos that were of the house I grew up in.

"How would she get your number?" He asks. "Lexie, how else?" I say throwing my phone across the room and onto the couch.

"She still talks to your mom?" He asks. "Of course she does, she's a mommy's girl," I say. "And what are you?" He asks. "The disappointment," I roll my eyes.

"Not what I meant but I should've expected that answer," he says. "is it that obvious?" I say. "No, but you talk about like that," he says.

"So you don't think I'm a disappointment?" I ask. "No, But you do and I don't think me telling you otherwise will so I don't," he says.

"Are you scared you're going to be a bad mother?" He asks leaning against the counter I'm standing next to.

"No, are you?" I say. "No, Meredith. I'm asking because the first time we talked about this subject you didn't want kids because you were scared they wouldn't feel loved," he says.

"What's your point?" I ask. "My point is I want you to get over the fear of being a bad mother so you won't have to deal with it when the baby comes," he says.

"You're really not scared of being a bad parent?" I ask. "No, I have four sisters that I practically raised and when I lived in New York I went to my mothers everyday and she was always babysitting a few of my sister's kids so I'm used to having kids around, I know how to deal with them when they cry and when they're mad etc," he says.

"What do you do when the kid is always mad for no reason and hits people for attention?" I ask. "Remove the kid from the situation without giving them too much attention and if they're mad for no reason take them to a therapist," he says.

"Should have told my parents that when I was growing up, they put me in a mental hospital," I say.

"Because you had anger issues?" He asks in shock. "They thought I was possessed by Satan," I roll my eyes.

"And?" He asks. "Praying helped but I wasn't possessed by Satan because I didn't need an exorcism," I say.

"That's the only reason why?" He says. "And the fact that the hospital said I was fine but they didn't believe the doctors anyways," I roll my eyes.

"So Lexie gave your mom your number," he states, changing the subject. "She did, so that means we can't tell her about the baby or else she'll tell my mom and then she'll tell her where I live and then my moms going to be in my life and then I have to move again and I like my life here and I don't want to that again," I say.

"Do you have any family members that you trust?" He asks. "No," I say. "So who are you going to invite to the wedding?" He asks. "Cristina and Izzie," I say.

"That's it?" He asks. "I don't like people, and I don't want a big wedding," I say going over to the sink and putting away some dishes.

"What about my family?" He says. "Invite whoever you want," I say. "Even Nancy?" He asks.

"is she going to ruin the wedding and make it about her?" I ask. "My mother and I will make sure she won't," he says. "Then go for it," I say.

"How far along will you be by the wedding?" He asks. "Depends on when the wedding is," I say. "I'm sure my mother will have it all planned out if that's alright with you," he says.

"It's fine with me, I know nothing about weddings and considering your mother has four married kids I'm sure she knows more than I do," I say.

"I'll call her," he kisses my cheek and then calls his mother. I'm definitely marrying a mama's boy.