Chapter 71

DEREK

The next morning I woke up with my head laid on her stomach. I lift my head up and see that she is still asleep.

I lower my face down to kiss her stomach. I open my eyes and see all the dark red marks on her stomach and chest. She's gonna kill me when she wakes up.

I kiss her once more before I carefully get out of bed. I go into the bathroom and take a quick shower. I wrap a towel around my waist and dry my hair off with another towel.

I put on some jeans and a blue sweater before going into the kitchen. I go to open the bedroom door when I see Meredith shiver as the blanket falls down.

I walk back over to her and pull the covers up more so they're covering her chest. I go Into the kitchen and make breakfast. a few minutes later, the door opens.

I turn around and see the twins walk out of their bedroom. I finish off making breakfast and set the table.

"you two go eat and I'll go check up on Meredith," I say. they nod their heads and go to the table.

I walk back into Meredith's room and see her lying in bed with her back facing me. I walk over to her and place my hand on her hip. she flinches a bit before she goes back to being still.

"Meredith, you should come eat. I already cooked so you don't have to do anything just eat," I say. "No, I'm not hungry," she says quietly.

"Meredith, you haven't eaten since last night. just come and eat," I say. "No, Derek. the answer is no," she pushed me away.

"Alright, you can eat later," I kiss her shoulder before getting up.

****

a few hours pass and Meredith still hasn't gotten out of bed. my flight leaves at night so I can stay with her for a few more hours. and I already packed the night before.

I walk back into her room and lean against the doorway. I watch as she continues to lay in bed. I walk over to her and sit on the side of the bed and place my hand on the side of her head.

I run my fingers along her hair. she's now facing me but she stares at the wall. "Meredith, please do something," I say. she almost spans out of it as she sits up against the headboard.

"When is your flight?" she asks looking at me. "it's in a few hours," I say. "have you packed?" she asks. "yes, I packed everything last night," I say.

"Meredith, are you sure you're alright? I'm not sure I want to leave you alone here if you're not going to be okay," I say.

"I'm fine, Derek. there's nothing wrong," she smiles. but it's not a real smile. she pretending to be happy.

"Meredith-" I start, but she gets out of bed and walks into the bathroom. she locks the door and a few seconds later I hear the shower turn on.

I stand up and set out some clothes for her before I go into the kitchen and cook something for her to eat. after Meredith's shower, she walks back into the room, her hair is damp and she's dressed in a nice dress. she looks better, physically.

"you should eat something," I place a plate in front of her. she brings both her hands together and she starts to fiddle with her hands. I could see she didn't want to eat but she didn't want to be rude and say no because she said no this morning.

she smiles and nods before she sits down. she looks at the food for a bit before she moves it around with the fork a bit before she actually takes a bite.

after a bit, she finishes her food. "I'm going to go to the bathroom," she says looking down before she walks away. I take the plate and take it to the sink.

a few minutes later she comes back from the bathroom. she walks into the living room, and she says hi to the kids before she sits down on the couch with a book and reads for a bit.

I wash the dishes and walk back over to her. I sit down next to her. she doesn't make an effort to show that she's even aware that I'm here. "you look pale, are you feeling okay?" I ask, kissing her shoulder.

"yea, I'm fine," she nods as she continues reading. I turn the tv on and watch whatever it is whatever it is the kids are watching.

after a few minutes of silence, Meredith talks to me. "I don't feel very well," she says. I turn all my attention to her. "do you feel sick, like you're going to be sick?" I ask. "I threw up earlier but I don't know what it is... I was fine before but suddenly everything changed," she says as she starts to tremble.

"what do you mean?" I ask. "before, before everything happened everything was fine. I was fine, we were fine. I don't know what's changed," she says as she starts shaking her head.

"it's okay. everything's going to be okay," I tell her. I wrap my arms around her and pull her close. she quietly sobs into my shoulder. the kids were too busy with their toys and the tv so they didn't even notice.

after Meredith calms down a bit, she turns her head to the side. "I have work tomorrow," she sniffles. "do you not feel well enough to go to work?" I ask. "No, it's fine. I can go," she says, sitting up and wiping her eyes.

"are you sure you're going to be okay? I don't want to leave you alone if you're not going to be okay," I say holding her face in my hands. "I'll be fine, I'll be at the hospital the entire time, I'll be busy so I won't think about it," she says.

"Alright, but if you're not okay at any time or moment I want you to call me, okay?" I say. "yea, Okay," she says. "what about the kids, where are they going to take them?" I ask. "there's a daycare near the hospital, I'll take them there," she says.

"Okay," I kiss her on the cheek and then on the lips.