Chapter 163

MEREDITH

I walk into the house as I get home from work. I hang my bag and coat up on the coat hanger before kicking my shoes off.

"where have you been all day?" Derek asks as he walks into the foyer where I am.

"I was at work. where did you think I was?" I ask as I walk over to him, placing my hands on his waist and kissing him on the lips.

"why were you at work?" he asks.

"because I have a family?" I say as I go into the living room.

"I thought you weren't going to work anymore," he says.

"why would you think that?" I ask.

"because that's what you said, you said you weren't going to work," he says.

"I said I was taking a few days off, I don't go to work everyday anymore, I go everyday other day now and I only work with the saner side of the patients," I say.

"why didn't you tell me that?" he asks.

"I thought I did," I say.

"but you didn't," he says.

"I didn't know, I'm sorry," I say, I kiss him on the cheek.

"where's Logan?" I ask.

"he's in his room asleep," he says.

"why is he asleep? he's always wide awake at this time," I say.

"he wanted to go to the park so I took him and one of his friends were there and they were playing a lot so he got really tired and passed out in the car," he says.

"Alright. you want to know the gender of the baby yet? I want to pick a name while I'm pregnant, I don't want it to be like with Logan and take until he's born and I'm on the table dying," I say.

"you need my opinion for a first name or a middle name?" he asks.

"both, I've had this name picked out since I was pregnant with Logan," I say.

"do you have a middle name yet?" he asks.

"No, you can pick it. I pick the first name, you pick the middle name, but it better be good or else you're not allowed to pick the name, or call it by it's name," I say.

"so I've really never heard of the name you've picked?" he asks walking over to me.

"No, I never mentioned it," I say.

"I still don't want to know the gender," he says.

"are you scared it's going to be a boy?" I ask.

"I'm not scared it's a boy, I just... if it is a boy what's going to if he's more violent when he's mad?" he asks.

"you mean like you?" he asks.

"yes, but I never had a brother so it was fine, but Logan's soft so if it were a boy he would most likely be the opposite," he says.

"why do you say that?" I ask as I step onto Logan's step-stool and take a pot hanging from the ceiling.

"because the second ones always the handful, the first one makes you want more and the second one is what makes you realize you're done with having kids," he says.

"is that why Kathleen's such a bitch?" I ask.

"yes, if it's a boy he's going to kill us," he says.

"not if I'm raising him," I say.

"so it is a boy?" he asks.

"No, I didn't say that," I say.

"so it's a girl?" he asks.

"do you want to know? I'll tell you if you want me to know," I say smiling at him.

"No," he says.

"before I knew you said you wanted a girl, right?" I ask as I fill the pot with hot water and place it on the stovetop before turning it on.

"yes, but if it's a boy then we just have to be more worried about him then with Logan," he says.

"you do realize girls are harder than boys, right?" I ask.

"how do you know?" he asks.

"because I have an easy time with figuring you out when it you're upset and after all these years you still don't know what to do when you piss me off," I say.

"I grew up with four sisters, I can handle girls," he says.

"is that why we've lasted so long? because I always it was because I give you the benefit of the doubt," I say.

"why do you do that?" he asks.

"because we have a son, and I loved you enough. if it weren't for me you'd be screwed," I say as I start preparing the food for dinner.

"so I should want a boy?" he asks.

"it doesn't matter what you want because you got it, we're having a girl," I say as I turn to look at him.

"we are?" he asks with a grin of hope.

"yes," I smile.

"thank goodness," he sighs.

"and she's going to be the one kicking Logan's ass," I say. "she's already kicking yours and she's not even born yet," I say.

"I know, I'm surprised she even let me that much sex with you yesterday," he says.

"she found my bladder to play with instead" I say as I add some seasonings onto the steak's.

"so what's the name you picked out?" he asks.

"ask Logan, I'm busy?" I say.

"you could have said the name while saying that," he says.

"I know but Logan said he wanted to tell you the name," I say.

"you told Logan the name before you tell me?" he asks.

"yes, he wanted to know and you kept saying you wanted to wait so I'm letting him tell you," I say.

"since when is he excited about having a younger sibling, I thought he didn't want one," He says.

"he said he's fine with it now, I'm just surprised he's more mature then you are," I say.

"he is not," he says.

"yes, he is. he cleans up his dirty clothes better than you do, he does his own laundry and he helps me cook most of the time," I say.

"you don't let me help you cook, you keep telling me I'm doing it the wrong way," he says.

"because I like it done a specific way and Logan's the only one who knows that way," I say.

"because you only teach him, not me," he says.

"it's a Grey thing, not a Shepherd thing," I say.

"he looks more like me then he does you," he says.

"at least I'm his favorite," I smile teasingly.

"shut up," he rolls his eyes before leaving the room.