Chapter 155

MEREDITH

I go into the kitchen where I see Derek cooking at the stove and Logan eating breakfast at the table. "Happy Birthday, Dove," I say as I run my fingers through his hair and kiss the side of his head multiple times.

"thank you, mama," he says. "I called my parents and everyone a week ago and they've already arrived in Seattle and they checked in a hotel already," Derek says as I walk into the kitchen.

"do you think I should put makeup on before your family gets here?" I ask. "why would you need to put makeup on?" he asks.

"Because this pregnancy is making me look paler than I've ever been, and that's a lot coming from me," I say.

"I've noticed," he says. "thanks," I say sarcastically. "you know what I mean," he says. "yes or no, do I need makeup?" I ask.

"do you want them to ask why you're so pale?" he asks. "No, even if I said I had the flu they wouldn't believe it," I say.

"you don't want them to know that you're pregnant?" he asks. "no, I don't care if they know but today is Logan's birthday, today is his day and I don't want to take that away from him. I don't want him to look back on his third birthday and remember that the only day he turned three I told everyone he's not going to be the baby of the family," I say.

"Okay, if that's what you're going for then yes, you should put makeup on," he says. "I'll go do that," I say before walking away.

"but you don't need to right now, I like your natural look," he says pulling me back, gently. "you like my natural pregnant pale look?" I say.

"yes," he says. "why?" I ask. "because it means you're pregnant with my child," he says. "I don't get it," I say.

"you don't have to. but you do need to eat," he says handing me a plate full of food.

"how much do you expect me to eat?" I say looking at all the food. "you ate three of those plates when you were pregnant with Logan," he says.

I shrug and go to the table.

***

I'm in the bedroom getting dressed while Derek's in the bathroom doing his hair.

"Is this too much?" he asks as he walks into the bedroom. "what?" I ask. "my hair, is it too much?" he asks.

"Baby, you look the same as you do any other day," I say. "are you sure, I think it looks different," he says.

"you look very handsome," I smile say putting my hand on his cheek and kissing his lips.

"I know I look good, but it's not too much?" he says. "No, honey, it's not too much," I say.

"And you're a hundred percent?" he says. "yes, I've been married to you for two years, you look the same to me, I even see you when you're at work sometimes," I say.

"what do you mean?" he asks. "when I look at Logan I see you," I say. "that's going to be harder when I die," he says fixing his shirt in the mirror.

"Derek!" I hit him with a pillow. "what, I'm just saying," he says. "well, don't," I say. "Alright, sorry," he says.

"We need to start buying pills for this," I say feeling my throat as I stand at the side of the bed.

"for what?" he asks as he sits next to me. "nausea, I feel like I'm going to throw up all the time," I say.

"do you feel like you have to right now?" he asks. "Yes, it feels like that all the time," I say.

"do you want me to go to the drugstore and get you something for it?" he asks as he rubs my back.

"No, because then I don't know when you'll get back and I don't want your parents to get here before you get back," I say.

"there's still plenty of time, I can be back twenty minutes," he says. "you can go if you want but you don't have to," I say standing up.

I stand in my place for a bit. "did you get dizzy?" he asks. "yes, I'm always dizzy nowadays," I say before leaving the room