murder mysteries

After I bought some books that I liked, I decided to head back. I paid for everything and got back into my car.

While I was loading the bag in the back I noticed a black car, it was the same black car that had been sitting outside my house for a while before I came to stay with Derek.

I had always just thought it was the neighbours' across the street.

I brushed it off, closed the back door and got into the drivers seat. I put the key in and started the car and drove back.

I arrived back at the house and saw Derek sitting outside on the bench. I got out of the car and walked toward him. he looked up at me for a second before he looked back down.

"Are you mad at me for leaving?" I asked, sitting down next to him. "No," he says. "then why is it you can't even look at me?" I asked.

"I'm not mad that you left," he sighs leaning back. "then what is it? what's with you?" I asked. "nothing," he says. "Derek, I know you're not happy about me leaving, but I wasn't gone for that long and-"

"you were gone for a lot longer than you should have been!" he snaps. I jump a bit at the sudden rage before I close my mouth from speaking and lean back onto the bench.

"I was only gone for about an hour or two, how is that too long? I don't need you looking out for me or telling me when I should be home, I don't need a curfew, I'm an adult for goodness sakes," I say before getting up.

"Meredith-" he says but I ignore him. I grab my bags from the back and hold them both in one hand before locking the doors. I go back inside and to my room.

I placed the bags down on my bed and went into the bathroom. I started the shower and waited for the water to get hot. I heard my bedroom door open and Derek walked in as I was walking back into the bedroom.

"I'm not trying to tell you what to do, I just don't want you to get hurt with the killer still on the loose," he tells me. "I don't know what you want me to do or say," I say while picking out a robe and a night set to wear.

"Nothing, I just don't want you going out, at least not alone," he says. "fine, I'm going to take a shower I feel and smell like old books," I say grabbing my things and going into the bathroom and closed the door.

I took off my clothes and got into the shower.

after my shower, I put my robe on, washed my face, and dried my hair. I got dressed into my purple night set and went into the bedroom.

I saw Derek sitting in my bed, reading the back of one of the books that I had bought. "you're still here?" I say. "yes," he says quietly. I sat down next to him and watched him for a bit.

"you don't hate me too much for me to kiss you, are you?" I ask. "No," he says quietly as I small blush appears on his face, still looking down. I smile.

I take the book from his hands and place it next to me. I put my hands on his shoulders and straddle him. I place both my hands on his cheeks so he looks at me. I lean in and press my lips against his.

***

after a few minutes, I pull away breathless. "you have a weird thing with for murder mystery books," he says picking up the book next to us, whilst his other hand stayed on my waist.

"I like finding out who did it," I smile, kissing his cheek, his jaw, and down to his neck. "it had nothing to do with the killer on the loose?" he asks putting the book down and pressing his hand on my back.

"No, I liked them when I was younger and my parents were concerned that I was planning a murder" I giggle. "were you?" he asks. "No, not at the time," I answer.

"do you want to plan a murder?" he asks. I stop kissing his neck and pull away to look at him. "why would you ask that?" I giggle. "that entire shelf," he says pointing to the shelf on the other side of the room that was filled with murder mysteries.

"that just means that I like reading, not planning a murder," I say. "do you read porn too?" he asks jokingly. my smile drops. "you do?" he chuckles. "No, I never said that," I say laying my head on his shoulder.

"No, but you implied it," he laughs. "I did not, I didn't say anything," I say, pushing my face into his neck to hide my blush. "do all women read that?" he asks. "I don't know," I say quietly. "why?" I ask.

"because when I lived at home I went into my sister's room trying to find something like condoms to get her in trouble, so I looked through her books to see if she was hiding anything in there, and then there was a red flag so I thought that might lead to something," he starts.

"because that's how you became a cop," I say sarcastically. "shut up," he says slapping the side of my thigh gently. I giggle. "and when I opened it there was nothing so I decided to see what she was reading and then... I saw it,"

"you read your sister's smut books?" I asked. "that's what it's called?" he asks. "yes, did you show your mother it?" I ask. "No, I was too scared too, and I don't think my mother would believe it either because she was my youngest sister so she got away with everything,"

"hmm, then you probably shouldn't try reading my books," I say. "do they have red flags?" he asks. "No but you are one," I smile. "stop," he says slapping my ass. "I'm kidding, but yes but I don't really have a system like that, I just match them to the covers," I say.

"you what?" he says. "I'll show you," I say. I get off his lap. I go to my bookshelf and pick up the I was going to read next and my box with annotating supplies.

I sit back in his lap. "so here's the book," I hand him the book. "and then here are the colors I chose for the book," I hand him the tabs. "I match them to the cover, and then when I highlight some things I use a highlighter of the same color as the cover, this cover is blue so I use I blue highlighter and blue tabs, and for underlining I use a blue pen," I hand him a blue highlighter and a blue pen.

he looks at me confused. "my mom also says I have OCD but I just like the way it looks," I say putting it back on the bed. "you're crazy," he says smiling. "I like that part of me," I smile and kiss him.