Grace

DEREK

Meredith was asked to go outside with the kids. I stand by the sliding glass door and look into the backyard. I see most of the kids running around and playing, but Grace, the youngest who is three is in Meredith's arms.

Grace was playing for a bit but she got a splinter and ran to Meredith. Meredith took it out but Grace still insisted on Meredith holding her. "was it a bad idea to ask Meredith to go out with the children?" my mother asks as she stands next to me.

"No, but Grace seems to really like her," I say. "I noticed, she asked Meredith to hold her last night when she woke up alone in the dark," she says. "really?" I ask a bit surprised. "yea," she says.

Grace usually never talks to people she hasn't known for longer than a month. she's very shy so it's surprising that she would take interest in Meredith after so little time knowing her.

"Meredith said something about you leaving... is that true?" she asks. "yea, I got a call from work, but I don't know how long I'll be gone for," I say. "they didn't say?" she asks.

"No, I tried asking them how long I would have to be gone for but the idiot wouldn't give me an answer," I say.

"how long at the most?" she asks. "he said a year," I say quietly. "a year! Derek, I don't know if being gone for a year will keep your relationship," she says.

"I know, but that's at the most. it shouldn't take that long," I say.

"then how much do you think it will take?" she asks. "I'm hoping at the most a month," I say. "you better make it quick then," she says.

"I know," I say. "last time you took Meredith, right?" she says. "yea, it wasn't safe for her to stay in Seattle while I was gone," I say.

"the killer already knew where she lived and leaving her alone was the worst thing to do," I say.

"but I thought the killer was in Italy?" she says. "it was, but he had people in Seattle working got him, hitmen," I say.

"he won't stop crying and he says he wants his mother," Meredith says as she comes inside with one of my nephews who is crying. "I don't know what to do," Meredith says.

"it's alright, honey. he's been here a while, I'll call his mom. go get the other kids inside," I say. she nods before going outside and bringing them inside.

"I won't be gone long when I leave," I say before leaving the room. I go into the living

room to see Meredith still holding Grace. "can you take her? I have to go to the washroom but she doesn't seem to want to let go," Meredith says. I nod and take Grace from her. Meredith leaves.

after a few minutes, Meredith comes back. I'm sitting on the couch with Grace on my lap. "Lexie called earlier, we have to go soon, if I'm not back by next week then she's getting rid of the kids, she didn't say how or when, but someone how she'll get rid of them and I don't think she cares who they go to or where they end up," she says as she sits down next to me.

"We'll be back in Seattle in a few days, we will be back in time," I say. "I want Meredith," Grace says.  "of course you have favourites," I roll my eyes and hand her over to Meredith as she snuggles into her chest.

"I think she likes you better because you have boobs," I say.

Meredith looks at me confused. "why would you say that?" she asks. "because you have a softer chest than I do so it's more comfortable," I say. "children aren't like that, only you think like that," she says.

"Grace, does Meredith have a softer chest than I do?" I ask. she nods her head.

"see," I say. "she's a child, it's common sense to like a softer chest better than a hard one," she says, smoothing her hand over Grace's head as she sucks her thumb.

"so if I put two yarn balls in my shirt you would cuddle with me more instead of pushing me away?" I ask.

"what? No, you're the one who likes cuddling because I have boobs, I'm fine with your chest," she says. "aren't kids supposed to grow out of that?" I ask.

"what?" she says. "that," I say pointing to Grace sucking her thumb. "she's three, she'll grow out of it one day. you did," she says.

"what are you talking about?" I ask. "your mother showed me the pictures from when you were little, you had your thumb in your mouth in all of them," she says. "why would she show you those pictures?" I say.

"because I asked if you always cuddled to be able to sleep when you were a kid to see if it was just you or if you only started that now," she says.

"and it led to that," she says. "of course, she had to show you those," I roll my eyes.

"it's not that bad, it's cute that you would cuddle with your parents and sisters," she says. "no, it wasn't, it was stupid," I say. "it was cute," she says. "I was a dumb kid," I say. "your mom said you got straight A's," she says.

"So did you," I say. "I also had nothing else to do other than study," she says. "all right, Grace, I think your mom is going to be coming soon," I say. "No, she's always busy," she says wrapping her arms around Meredith's waist.

"have fun having that conversation with your mother, she's a pain in the ass," I say. "you're not supposed to say that word," Grace says. "all grown-ups say it," I say. "Meredith doesn't," she says. "how do you know?" I ask. "because I've never heard her say it before," she says.

"of course, you think Meredith is innocent," I say before getting get.

Suggestions??