Birthday

MEREDITH

"So when your birthday?" I ask Daniel as I tuck them into bed. "My what?" He asks looking at me confused.

"Your birthday, when is it?" I ask. He continued to look at me confused. "The day your were born, you become a year older, when is it?" I ask again.

"I don't know," he shrugs. "You don't know when your birthday is?" I say a bit shocked. Would Lexie really keep they from them?

"I don't know what that is," he says innocently. "Alright then. Good night Daniel," I say. "Night," he says before closing his eyes.

I walk over to Emily's bed and see that she's already asleep under the covers with the r blanket pulled up to her neck.

I brush the blond hair away from her face and tuck it behind her ear before turning off the lights and leaving the room.

I close the door leaving just a bit open before going into my bedroom. I open the door and walk in.

I get dressed in my pyjamas before getting under the covers. "Did you know the kids don't know their own birthdays?" I say, slapping Derek on the back.

"Hmm, what?" He says quickly as he wakes up. "The twins don't know their birthday," I say, laying down facing him.

"What do you mean?" He asks. "When I was ticking Daniel in I asked him when his birthday was and he didn't even know what I was talking about," I say.

"How do they not know their own birthday?" He asks. "I don't know, he didn't even know what a birthday was. Do you think Lexie kept it from them?" I say.

"Maybe, how else would they not know?" He says. "Lexie was unemployed for all those years, the only money she ever has was from the government," I say.

"What do you mean?" He says. This idiots half asleep and doesn't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

"I mean she never worked, the only money she had was the family check, and who knows how often she actually used it on the kids. She always was a selfish one," I say.

"I thought you liked your sister," he says. "Derek, there's a reason I tried drowning her in a tub full of boiling hot water," I say.

"I thought you said you regretted that," he says. "Not anymore... I wonder if I did it again she would be better," I say to myself.

"What?!" He says. "Nothing, nothing. Go back to sleep," I say. "I don't want to be in a relationship what a serial killer... so don't be one," he says.

"I'm not going to kill Lexie... and even if I was going to I wouldn't tell you, you're a cop you're the last person I'd tell," I say.

"You're insane, roll over," he says. "What? Why?" I say. "Don't asking questions and just do it," he says.

I roll my eyes and roll over so my back is facing him. He wraps his arm around my waist and moves closer to me. When I think he's going to spoon me I feel his tip entering my entrance a bit.

"Better now?" He whispers against my neck. "Mm-Hmm," I moan a bit before he pushes himself further into me

****

the next morning I wake up, naked from last nights event. I sit up and look next to me and see Derek's no longer in bed. 

I stand to my feet and feel a sharp pain in my legs. "ahh, ow," I say sitting back down on the bed. 

last night I thought it was just going to be one round of sex but it wasn't. it was much more. he goes crazy with going down on me. much more than last time at his mother's.

I wait a minute before a stand up again. the pain comes back but I push through it and walk into the bathroom. 

I take a hot shower before blow drying my hair and then curl it. I get dressed and leave my bedroom. 

I walk into the kitchen and see Derek dressed in black dress pants and a white button-up, and I'm wearing a long, short-sleeve dress. 

"when did you wake up?" I ask. "a few hours ago," he says. he walks over to me. he places his hands on my waist and kisses deeply. 

after a minute he pulls away. "what was that for?" I ask smiling a bit as I feel my lips swell.

"was last night too much," he asks kissing my cheek. "No, it was a lot, but it was good," I say. 

"are you sure it wasn't too much? you didn't say anything after we finished so I wasn't sure," he says.

"I was just tired," I say as he keeps his face between my neck. "it wasn't to much? the going down on you over and over, and over... and over wasn't too much?" he says as he pulls away and looks at me.

"No, it was good, great, amazing even," I smile. "where are the kids?" I ask. "they're in the dining room eating breakfast," I say.

"you make them breakfast?" I ask. "yeah, you were asleep and they were awake, they weren't saying anything because I still think they like you better than me," he says.

"they've heard stories about me, they know nothing about you. and thank you," I say. "of course," he says.

****

after breakfast, Derek washes the dishes. "how soon is too soon to put them into school?" I ask, sitting next to him on the couch as the twins play on the floor while watching tv.

"why, getting bored of them already," he teases as he looks up from the book he's reading, my book.

"No, I have to start work soon again and I can't leave them here and I can't leave them with you because you also have to work and I can't leave them alone here," I say.

"why's that? that's what their mother did," he says. "what do you mean?" I ask. 

"I asked Daniel about school and he said he's never been to school and that he doesn't know what that is either," he says, closing the book and placing it aside.

"she kept everything from them, didn't she? they don't know what a birthday is and they don't know what school is, I assume they don't know what Christmas is either," I sigh.

"no, I asked," he says. "Well, they're turning six soon so I guess it's not that bad," I shrug.

"how do you know they're going to be six if you don't even know their birthday?" he asks. 

"I can do math," I say. "right, you were there when they were born," he says. "I was," I sigh, leaning against him a bit. 

"did she know it was twins before or after they were born?" he asks. "after, I'm pretty sure she if she knew before she would have gotten an abortion if she knew before," I say.

"was she scared?" he asks. "before they were born she went on and on and on about how she was going to be a great mom and all, until they were born..." I lean in closer to him and whisper. 

"she was happy when Emily was born because she wanted a girl but when Daniel came out she only looked at him disgusted, she hated him, when he would cry she would yell at him making him cry even more and then she would place him in another room and close the door, take Emily and go across the room," I whisper so the twins don't here.

"she hated Daniel?" he asks shocked. "I don't know about after I moved, but while I was there, yes," I say. "so I guess we won't be expecting Lexie to show up here any time soon?" He jokes. 

"No, I doubt it," I say. "We'll be fine," he says. "is it bad that I suddenly feel like you're going to bail?" I say.

"what? why would you think that?" he asks. "I don't know," I sigh. "I'm not used to men being as nice as you are, Lexie's ex was horrible as you already know, my father was... I don't want to get into that, and Andrew was, you already know," I say. 

"you'll get used to it, and then it won't feel different anymore," he says, wrapping his arm around me and pulling me into his lap. "that'd be nice," I say.

"I'm glad," he kisses the side of my head.