Chapter 160

MEREDITH

I get home from the grocery store. I unlock the door and bring in the groceries.

I place all the bags on the counter. "Derek? Logan?" I say. the house in quiet and I don't see anyone in the house.

I take off my coat ad hang it up with my bag. I go out through the sliding glass back door and walk around a bit.

I eventually see Derek come out of the woods. "what the hell are you doing in the woods? you're not supposed to be going in there," I say as he walks over to me.

"I can't find him," he says. he's breathing heavily, he looks like he wants to cry and he looks panicked.

"can't find who?" I ask. "Logan, I can't find Logan," he says. "I'm so sorry Mer," he says looking at me as he tears up.

"I'm sure he's fine Derek, and Logan knows not to go into the woods and he knows why," I say.

"I've looked for him everywhere, I have no idea where he could be," he says as he puts his hands on his hips and looks around.

"how long has he been missing for?" I ask. "I don't know, maybe an hour, an hour and a half," he says.

"Okay," I sigh. "I'll start looking for him," I say.

I walk around the house and try looking for him at the front of the house.

I hear a noise and look at the metal trash can. I walk over to it and lift up the lid.

"Logan, what on earth are you doing in there? your father has been looking for you everywhere," I say, dropping the lid on the ground and lifting him up and placing him on the ground.

it's a brand new trash can and we haven't put anything in it yet so it's perfectly clean.

"we were playing hide and seek, he was supposed to find me," he says. "for an hour and a half? you didn't think to come out?" I ask. he shakes his head.

"Derek! I found him!" I yell. "not so loud Mommy," Logan says covering his ears with his hands.

"your father thinks you were eaten by a bear, go hug him," I say. he runs over to Derek as he picks him up and hugs him tightly as he cries into Logan's shoulder.

"it's okay, Daddy, I'm okay," Logan says as he pulls back and holds his face in his hands. he kisses Derek on the lips before he wraps his arms around his neck and hugs him again.

in bittersweet moments like these my brain switches feeling emotional with laughing so before I start laughing I turn around and go back inside and laugh to myself in the house.

I unpack the groceries and put them away. a few minutes later, Derek comes back in the house with Logan still in his arms.

he takes him into the living. he sits down on the couch with Logan n his lap and turns on a kids show for Logan.

he leans back on the couch while Logan lays his head on Derek's chest with his arms around his waist.

after I put away all the groceries, I go into the living and stand behind one of the couches. "Logan are you hungry?" I ask.

"a little," he says. "Derek?" I ask. he doesn't respond. "Derek, are you hungry?" I ask. "No," he mumbles into Logan's hair.

"Alright," I say as I step away from the couch and go back into the kitchen.

I make Logan a snack and bring it into the living room. I sit down on the couch and place it on the coffee table.

Logan get's off Derek's lap and stands between his legs as Derek moves the table a bit closer and Logan starts eating his snack.

"how do you feel?" I ask Derek, running my fingers through Logan's dark curls and moving it out of his face as he eats and watches tv.

"I feel fine," he says. "are you sure? you seemed pretty upset outside," I say. "because I was," he says.

"I know, I know," I say rubbing his arm with my other hand.

"do you want to talk about it?" I ask. "No," he says. "Okay," I say and kiss his arm.

"this is good, Mama," Logan says. "thank you, baby," I say and kiss his head.

"where did you find him?" Derek asks. "he was in the trash can that we bought the other day," I say.

"why?" he asks. "he said you two were playing hide and seek," I say.

"Right, I forgot we were playing a game," he says. I nod. "do you want to talk about it when we go to bed?" I ask.

"No, what's there to talk about it?" he asks. "I don't know, that's why I'm asking," I say.

"he was hiding for an hour and a half and he's fine now, that's all that matters," he says.

"Okay," I say. "did you get any information on the baby?" he asks, changing the subject.

"not much, why, do you want to know the gender?" I ask. "No," he says.

Derek wants the baby to be a girl but he doesn't want it to sound like he wouldn't be happy if it wasn't a girl so he keeps saying he doesn't care what the gender is.

I found out the gender a few days ago and he keeps asking small questions about the baby, he keeps asking me if I've been thinking about names, or if I have already found a name I want to name it.

"Derek, you can know the gender of your own baby," I say. "I don't want to know," he says. I roll my eyes.

"can I know if the baby's a girl or boy, Mommy" Logan asks. "do you want to know?" I ask. he nods. I lean over and whisper the gender in his ear.

"I'm okay with that," he smiles. "good," I smile before kissing his head.

"do you have a name yet?" Derek asks. "I have a name I like," I say. "is a name that you talked about when you were pregnant with Logan?" he asks.

"No," I say. he rolls his eyes. "but the name does go well with Logan... let me know when you want to find out," I say kissing his head before I get up and go into the kitchen to make dinner.

I look over at them in the living room and see Logan sitting on Derek's lap eating his snack. he picks up a piece and holds it up to Derek's mouth. Derek says no and tells him to eat it instead.

Logan tells him to open and Derek finally gives in. Logan feeds it to Derek before eating another piece himself.