chapter 153

"where are you going?" Derek asks me as I put on my coat.

"I have an appointment," I say. "for the ba-" he starts but stops when he sees Logan.

"for your 'flu'" he says. "yes," I say. "why didn't you tell me?" he says.

"Because we were too busy last night 'sleeping' and I knew if I told you you would skip work and you already missed yesterday. I'll bring back a photo," I say.

"Why would Daddy want a picture of your flu?" Logan asks. "your daddy has a weird brain and you need to put your shoes on, get ready," I tell him as he gets up and goes over to his shoes.

"but I want to go to your appointment with you, I don't want you to go alone, it makes me look like a father that doesn't want to be a father," he says.

"the doctor won't think that, she's the one we had with Logan, you've already met her," I say.

"I still want to be there when you see it for the first time," he says.

"I'll bring home a photo and then we can tell Logan," I say. "tell me what?" Logan asks.

"Nothing, you'll find out later after pre-school," I tell him. "I still want to be with you when you see it for the first time," he says wrapping his arms around my waist.

"I know you do, I'm sorry, I didn't think you would want to go so badly but I'm glad you're not one of those people," I say wrapping my arms around his neck as he kisses me on the lips.

"what people?" he asks. "the kind of people that aren't interested in their children's lift or their wives pregnancy's," I say. "most fathers only care about the fun stuff and when it comes to the hard parts they hand the child to the mother," I say.

"even if I did that the kids would still love you more," he says pulling me closer. "why do you say that?" I ask.

"because that's what my father did and I still like my mother better," he says. "Alright, you have to leave for work," I say looking at my watch.

"No I don't, I want to stay here with you," he says kissing me again.

"no... I have to go.. too," I say between kisses. "works boring," he says. "hey, you chose that job. come on it's time to go," I say.

"Can I at least go to the next one?" he asks. "yes, of course, you can. I'll let you know when the next one is," I say.

"Can daddy take me to school?" Logan asks. "sure, ask your father first though," I say. "daddy can you take me to school?" he asks Derek.

"umm... sure, get your coat," he says. I leave the house and drive for my appointment.

I went to my appointment and they told me I was four weeks along in my pregnancy and that everything seemed fine, she said the baby was healthy.

she gave me a photo and I left.

***

a few hours later Derek came home from work with Logan. "Hi, Mommy!" Logan says as he comes running to me and hugging me.

"Hi, how was school?" I ask as I help him into my lap. "it was good, I got the mean boy to stop picking on me," he says with a grin.

"Really? that's great. how did you do that?" I ask. "I yelled at him and told him to leave me alone and he started crying and then he left me alone," he says.

"That's good, I'm proud of you for standing up for yourself," I say kissing the top of his head. Derek comes into the living room and hits next to me.

"how was work?" I ask him. "it was fine," he sighs as he spreads his legs.

"fine? did something happen?" I ask. "No, nothing happened at all, that's the problem," he says.

"oh, I'm sorry," I say, placing my hand on his thigh and kissing his cheek.

"do you want to see the photo I got from the doctor?" I ask. "yeah," he says smiling small.

I get up from the couch and go over to my purse. I pull out the photo and walk back over to him in the living room and hand him the photo.