mental asylum

the next day Derek and I were going to go to the store to pick up a few things. I was going to go by myself but he insisted he go with me after the whole thing with Deluca happened.

I stare out the window as Derek drives to the store. "it's not a big deal, me going to the store going alone. I've done it before, I would've been fine alone," I say turning to him.

"I know, but it makes me feel better if you're not alone," he says. "Whatever you say," I sigh.

We arrive at the store. I get out of the car before he does and walk into the store. "Meredith, you don't just leave without me," he says as he catches up. "it's not my fault you're slow. do you chase criminals with those legs? that might explain why you haven't caught the killer yet..." I say. he glares at me making me laugh.

"I only need a few things so we shouldn't be too long," I say before walking faster. "Meredith!" I hear him say trying to catch up with me. I turn the aisle so he can't find me. I walk down the aisle looking for something I need.

I grabbed what I needed and grabbed a basket and placed it in the basket. I walked down a few more aisles, grabbing things I needed. then someone walked into the aisle, it was Andrew. I walked out of the aisle and walked down the other one.

after I had gotten most things I went to find Derek. I found him freaking out in the cookie aisle. there was a little boy in a cart staring at him, covering his mouth while giggling to himself. I walked down the aisle.

"Derek, what are you doing?" I asked him while putting my hand on his back. "where the hell were you!" he says before he wraps his arms around me and hugs me tightly. "I was in the other aisles getting what I needed. where were you?" I giggled.

"This isn't funny, Meredith. why didn't you come to find me?" he asks pulling away and looking at me. "I was busy, I'm fine. I did see Andrew earlier but he didn't even see me so that's fine. I'm almost finished so we can leave soon," I see.

I pat his shoulder and walk away. "Meredith... you said you saw Andrew here?" He asks, walking next to me. "yes, but he didn't see me so it doesn't matter," I say and walk into another aisle.

I get a few more things. after we pay we go back out to the car. "I can't believe you saw him there and didn't tell me," I say. "Derek, I did tell you,"

"But you didn't tell me when it happened," he says. "what were going to do, take him home and cook him dinner for me?" I laugh. "No, nothing. it's fine. if you see him, you tell me!" he says.

"fine, if I see him I'll tell you," I roll my eyes. he sits there and stares outside. I reach over and start the car. he jumps. "drive, I'm tired," I say. he starts driving back to my place.

I get out of the car and go inside. I turn around and see if still far behind me. "Meredith! stop walking so fast," he says tiredly. I roll my eyes and walk inside. I put everything away, and while I'm putting things away I get a phone call.

I grab my phone from my purse. "Hello... really....? yes... thank you," I say and hang up. they just offered me a job as head nurse at a bigger and better mental hospital... but this one is a mental asylum it's the best one in all of Boston and the best in all of this country. "hey, everything alright? why are you just standing there?" he says.

"Hmm? yea, I'm fine," I say trying to hide my smile. "No, what is it?" he asks. "was that Andrew on the phone?" he says walking behind me and standing next to me. "No, No. it was just... that was a mental asylum in Boston," I say looking at him.

"why? are you going insane?" he asks. "Noooo, I got a job offer... as head nurse, it's the best mental asylum in the country," I say. he goes silent. "are you going to take it?" he asks after a few minutes. "I don't know... it'll be hard to turn it down but... it's a once in a lifetime offer," I say.

"so you want it?" he says. "of course. I want it, it's a chance I'll never get again, I'm almost nothing at the hospital I work at and this one I get to be a head nurse... I'll never get that at my hospital," I say.

"No, No. I get it, you have nothing keeping you here," he rolls away. "Derek..."

"No, you have no reason to stay in Seattle. you should go to Boston, take the job," he says. "Derek, this is my decision we're not even together, why do you care?" I say.

"why do I care?" he raises his voice a bit as he looks at me. "what do you need me for? it's not like you don't have women at your feet waiting for you to get over me so you'll go to them. what's so different about me? what can you do with me that you can't do with anyone else? there are other women you can take the virginity of," I say.

"did you really just say that!" he yells. "why? are you going insane, do you need to be admitted into the asylum? maybe then you can come with me, I'll even give you special treatment," I roll my eyes.

"I thought we were getting better, I thought you were gaining my trust back after what happened. I thought we were getting closer to getting back together," he says. "why would we get back together? so when more women kiss you can stand there like an idiot like you did the other times?" I say.

"I gave you many chances and that didn't work, I can't find one reason why we should be together. you can work as much as you want and I'll do the same," I say. "I'm taking the job because I'll never get that chance... I thought for my entire life that I would never be anything and now I have the chance to help people... I'm not going to live with thinking 'what if' forever just because there's a small chance at love, anyone can fall in love, not everyone can save someone from a horrible illness!" I yell.

he doesn't say anything. he stands there with tears in his eyes. "I can't do this right now, I can't look at you. you're not going to make me feel bad for doing something good for myself for the first time in my entire life," I say and walk to my room.

okay, I'm a little sorry for doing this but... I got the idea from... I'm sure you can think of them. we'll see if mer takes the job or not.