talk

MEREDITH

I wake up to the feeling of someone breathing into my neck. he always sleeps so close.

I roll over and push Derek off me and onto his side of the bed. "you're awake," he says. he wasn't even asleep.

"or are you not awake?" he says. I don't answer. "are you still mad about earlier?" he asks. "I told you I was tired, Derek. let me sleep," I say.

"I did let you sleep. you were asleep for almost five hours," he says.

"I'm still tired," I say, pressing my face into the pillow. "you said something about your uterus earlier, what was that about?" he says.

"what are you talking about?" I say. "you," he says as he lifts me up so I'm sitting against the headboard.

"said your uterus was the reason you were so tired, what does that mean?" he asks. "I don't know, I was half asleep then I don't remember anything I said," I say.

"Well, now that you're awake tell me what's wrong with your uterus," he says. "why do you think there's something wrong with my uterus?" I ask.

"because that's what you said before you went to sleep and I don't think you were lying so tell me now," he says. I sigh. "It's sore," I say before laying down again.

"sore?" he asks. "yes, sore," I say. "and why's that?" he asks. he runs his hand under my shirt and rests his hand right under my stomach.

"I don't know," I say. "when's that last time you got your period?" he asks. "what?" I say. "when was the last time you got your period? maybe it's that," he says.

"I already got it this month, it ended a few days ago," I say. "but you didn't have it when we had sex," he says.

"when?" I ask. "in the bathroom, my face was in your pussy for like almost an hour, I'm sure I would have noticed if you were," he says.

"No, not then, I got it after that," I say. "that explains why you were crying in pain for so long," he says. "and why you were very horny after it ended," he says. "I know, it takes you forever to realize," I say.

"you have to tell me, you're sensitive on your own but when you're hormonal it's worse so I need to know when to be more careful... I hate making you cry," he says. "why? because you have to be the one to make me stop crying?" I ask.

"No, because you rarely cry so when you do you look so sad," he says. "that's the point of crying," I say.

"define sore," he says. "you know when you work out and your muscles feel sore?" I say. he nods. "it's like that, but with a uterus," I say.

"do you have sensitive skin?" he asks. "yea, why?" I say. "because every time you hit yourself the slightest bit you end up with a huge bruise," he says.

"I don't know why that happens," I say. "I didn't mean it that way earlier, when I said it I meant that you don't look ugly when you cry," he says.

"I know what you meant, I was just tired, that's all," I say. "makes sense, you're grumpy when you're tired," he says. "your uterus being sore makes you tired?" he asks. I laugh. "yes, for some reason issues with my uterus takes a lot of my energy," I say. he nods, waiting for me to say more.

"I have no energy, I'm tired, I go to sleep, I wake up and I'm still tired so I go back to sleep and then when I wake up I'm tired again, it just never ends. and I don't get hungry, the uterus soreness removes the hunger," I say.

"Have you eaten anything today?" he asks. "yea, I went downstairs and your mother noticed I looked pale and then you asked me if I had eaten anything, I said no, and then she asked if I was hungry, I said no and then she made me eat because she didn't want me to get sick," I say.

"I told you she likes you," he says. "did you talk to my dad?" he asks. "what?" I say. "my dad, did you two talk?" he asks.

"yea, we talked as he taught me how to cook a steak," I say. "what did you two talk about?" he asks.

"me and you," I say. "you talked about us?!" he says. "yea, he wanted to know what we planned for the future," I say.

"and what did you say?" he asks. "I don't know, that I planned on taking my sister's kids and that you were really big on us being together," I say. "what does that me, did you say you didn't really want us to work out?" He says as he panics.

"No, I just said you fell harder," I roll my eyes. "just don't tell him too much," he says. "why?" I ask. "because I'm not close with him, I don't want him to think he gets to know anything about my life with you," he says.

"cool, do you know how to build things?" I ask. "what?" he asks. "do you know how to build things?" I ask. "why?" he chuckles.

"because when we get back to Seattle the twins are going to be with me and I have nothing prepared and my place isn't child-proof. I have a small bookshelf on the wall and the rest of my books are on the floor and the kids are going to be clingy because their mother left them, and most of my books are twenty dollars each so I don't want to re-buy new ones, I suck at building things and I ordered a bookshelf that my friend brought inside and I can't build it," I say.

"Why didn't your friend build it?" he asks. "she's a girl, she doesn't want to, is that what you wanted to hear? my friend is a girl and not a boy?" I ask. "yes, yes. I'll build it when we get back," he says.

"Good, because it's wood and I don't want to do it," I say. "so you can do it?" he says. "I can, I just don't want to, the last time I did was the small one on the wall and I needed a drill for that," I say.

"how'd that go?" he asks. "I was drilling it into the wall and my hand twisted once the screw was in the wall," I say.

"better I do it so you don't break your hand," he says. "again," I say. "yea, no more sleepwalking," he says. "it's hard," I say.

"you slept walked last night, I didn't notice until my mother walked into the room arms linked with you," he laughs. "your mom found me sleepwalking?" I ask surprised. "yea, she said you were in the kitchen. don't worry she wasn't mad," he says.

"How did I forget to lock the door?" I ask myself. "Nobody else saw and she wasn't mad, she thought it was funny," he says.

"we're leaving soon, we should pack," I say. "we should," he says.