chapter 157

MEREDITH

I wake up in my bedroom. I look around the bit before sitting up.

"careful, careful," I hear Derek say as I sit up against the headboard.

"what happened?" I ask. "you fainted, you were getting dizzy before you fainted," he says.

"how long have I been out for?" I ask. "not long, maybe twenty minutes," he says. "where's Logan?" I ask.

"he's in the living room with my parents," he says. "then what are you doing in here, go to him," I say. "Meredith, I was waiting for you to wake up," he says.

"I'm fine," I say before swinging my legs over the bed and standing up. "you have to be careful Meredith," he says as he stands up and places his hand on my back.

"I'm fine, stop making everything about me," I say before leaving the room. "Meredith, walk slower, you don't want to faint in front Logan," Derek says as he walks next to me.

"Mama? whewe were you?" Logan asks as he runs up to me. "I was in the bathroom but I'm here now," I smile picking him up.

"Gwandpa still doesn't know how old I am," he whispers to me. "Grandpas a little slow when it comes to counting," I whisper.

"come look!" he says hitting my chest gently. "Okay," I say. I take him over to the couch and sit down with him on my lap as he shows me his new toys.

***

a few hours later everyone left and Logan is starting to get tired. "you know you still have one more gift to open," I say kissing his head.

"No, I opened them all," he says tiredly as he lays against my chest.

I stand up and carry him into our bedroom. I set him down on the bed and tell him not to fall asleep.

I go into the closet and pick up the gift. I take it back to the bed and place it in front of Logan.

"it's big," he says looking at it. "Open it," I say. he rips off the wrapping paper from the box.

"I can't see what it is," he says. "I'll get a knife," I say because it's in an amazon box.

I grab a pocket knife from Derek's nightstand and open the box with it.

he takes out the box from inside the other box. "it's the caw I wanted! I fought you fowgot!" he says.

"I wanted you to open it when we were alone," I say kissing his head again and sitting next to him.

he smiles brightly as he opens the box and takes out the car. I open my nightstand drawer and grab some batteries.

"you'll need these," I say. I help him put it in the batteries and turn it on. he puts it on the floor and uses the remote to drive the car around the room.

"you can take it into the living room for more room if you'd like," I say. I clean up the boxes and keep the instructions just in case.

I throw the boxes outside in the red bin before going into the kitchen and putting the instructions in one of the kitchen drawers.

"did you put Logan to bed?" Derek asks as he puts away some of the dishes.

"No, he's in our room playing with his new toy," I say. we hear the bedroom door open and Logan walks into the living room carrying his car before he puts it on the floor and drives it around the living room.

"where did he get that from, I don't remember him getting that," Derek says.

"I got it for him," I say. "he opened all our gifts first we were both there," he says.

"No, just now. I saved it for last, I just gave it to him," I say. "how come?" he asks.

"because he's three now, he's going to pronounce his r's soon and he's going to be going to school and then he's going to go through puberty and then he's going to be in high school and then college and then I don't have my little boy anymore," I say.

"Mer, he's three. you'll have him for a few more years, who even knows if he's actually going to move out," He says.

"he has be out by the time he's thirty," he says. "yea, maybe," I say looking back at Logan as he continues smiling.

"so, how do you feel?" he asks as he turns his full attention to me.

"Derek.. how many times are you going to ask that question?" I ask. "take off your makeup, I can't tell if I can't see how pale you are," he says.

I roll my eyes and go into the bathroom and wash off my makeup before going back into the kitchen. "better?" I ask.

"yes," he says as he looks at me. "you actually don't look as pale as you did this morning," he says holding my face in his hands.

"I told you I was fine," I say. "you said that when before you passed out and fell into a coma when you had Logan," he says. "I know you don't like it when I worry so much and it bothers you when I'm overprotective over you and Logan and soon this baby," he says.

"but I watched you almost die in front of me while Logan was a baby," he says with tears in his eyes. "I know you did," I say softly.

"and I never know if when you say you're fine if it actually means your fine or if you don't want me to worry too much," he says.

"I'm sorry, but the worst that could happen from pregnancy is fainting and I already did that so there's nothing to worry about," I say.

"and you don't have to worry about work because my boss won't let me until the sickness goes down to where I'm not almost fainting everyday because if I'm weaker the patients will take advantage of it and if they found I was pregnant they would probably try to kill it," I say.

"why would they do that?" he asks. "because they're the criminally insane, it's what they get pleasure from, normal people get it from sex and they get it from killing," I say.

"and then you're worried about my job?" he says. "we both deal with criminals for a living," I say.

"yea... I thought he was going to sleep?" Derek says as he looks at Logan.

"he seems to have his energy back," I shrug. "Look Daddy!" Logan says grinning as Derek smiles back.

a few hours later

Logan eventually gets tired again and falls asleep on the couch. I carry his to bed and put away his new toys and Derek and I clean up the house a bit before we shower and go to bed.

"feel any better?" Derek asks as he wraps his arms around my waist and pulling me into his chest and kissing my neck.

"I feel a lot better now that I'm laying down... but my head does hurt," I say. "I swear, you're always in pain," he says kissing my cheek.

I lay my head on his chest before falling asleep.