Babysitting

It was about a week later. Today was the day Lexie had her job interview and was bringing her kids over.

I haven't seen Lexie's kids since I moved from Boston to Seattle so I don't even know if they'll remember me, they were just learning how to talk when I left.

And they're about three now, almost four.

When I asked my boss for a day off because of a family he surprisingly said yes. I thought I would have to convince him or even beg him but he said yes right away, but I don't even know if he was listening but I didn't want to make him here because I probably would have gotten a no.

I had cleaned the place up a bit and put away any sharp things and did my best to 'child proof' it.

My bookshelf was in the corner of the living room and it shouldn't fall because at three almost four they should know not to climb bookshelves.

I waited for a bit longer until there was a knock at the door. I got up and went to the door and answered it, it wasn't Lexie or the twins, it was Derek.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. "Wow, are you that unhappy to see me?" He chuckles softly.

"No, I just-I was expecting Lexie and her kids not you," I say. "What are you doing here?" I ask again. "I haven't really seen you since our date and I wanted to come to see you," he smiles before walking in.

"So... you like your new place?" He asks looking around the apartment. "Yea, it took a bit of adjusting to, but it isn't so bad," I say closing the front door after my weird neighbour winked at me as he walked by.

"Who was that?" He asked referring to the man that had just walked passed the door. "No one, just a creepy neighbour, that's all," I say. He doesn't seem to accept my answer but he continues to walk over to the bookshelves.

"Have you childproofed the place yet?" he asked. "Yes, I put away all the sharp things and everything that could be dangerous," I say sitting down. "I already know you didn't come here just to 'check' on me, what's the real reason you're here?" I asked leaning back into the couch.

"I did come here because I wanted to see you but that's not the only reason... my mother is in town, she didn't tell me she was coming, she said she wanted it to be a surprise... and I might have accidentally mentioned your name and..."

"and what? what did you do? what did you say about me?" I ask. "nothing, I only said good things about you because they aren't really many bad things about you," he says smiling a bit. "now is not the time to suck up Der..ek" I almost called him Der, if I do that then he'll know I'm not over him.

"anyways. I mentioned your name and when she asked who 'Meredith' was I told her you were an ex-girlfriend which she was surprised to hear because I hadn't had a girlfriend since high school and even then it was just sex and watching movies, nothing else."

"that doesn't explain why you're here, get to the point," I tell him. he sighs before he starts talking again. "she wants to meet you," he says with a bit of a scared look on his face. "your mother wants to meet me?" I asked shocked. "I can't meet your mother I have no relation to you anymore, why does she want to meet me if she knows were not together anymore?" I ask.

"I don't know, I guess she was surprised that I had found someone at my age for the first time in so long, I haven't dated anyone in almost twenty years and now she hears that I had a girlfriend, I guess she just wants to meet the person who happened to be good enough for me to like for the first time in two decades,"

"I'm not as good as I may seem, I already told you about me trying to kill my baby sister when I was five," I say standing up and going into the kitchen. "I didn't tell her that part," he rolls his eyes. "did you say anything about our date?" I ask, leaning against the counter.

"a little... and now she thinks we're going to get back together and keeps talking about faith and all that, she also asked me if I was in love with you, I said yes and now she's trying to predict how many kids we're going to have..." he says. I roll my eyes. I'm not even sure our 'thing' whatever it is will work out, but kids?

"Is this your way of asking me to meet your mother?" I asked. "kind of," he says quietly looking at his shoes. "I'll see if I have time for as long as she's here," I sigh. "thank you," he says. "but I also have to get to work, I came here to see you on my break and you have your niece and nephew coming soon. goodbye, Mer," he says as he kisses my cheek and walks to the door.

"goodbye, Derek," I say looking down, trying to hide the blush from the kiss. he opens the door and says 'hello' to someone. I look up and see Lexie and the twins, they look so much bigger than the last time I saw them. I'm going to be that annoying relative that calls to say happy birthday and has only seen the child when they were a baby and the kid doesn't even remember.

Lexie says 'hi' to him before he nods at me again and leaves. Lexie sets her things down on the floor as she walks to me and hugs me tightly. "I missed you so much," she whispers. "I know," I say, hugging her back.

after a few seconds, we pull away and there were tears in her eyes. "Emily, Daniel, this is your auntie Mer. I know you don't remember her but she helped me a lot with you two when you were born, she's very nice and I want you to be good for her and get to know her a bit better, Okay?" she says as she crouches down to their level.

"Okay, Mommy," they both say as they hug her. she kisses them both and says goodbye before she leaves for her interview.

this should be fun.

DRAMAS COMING UNINVITED