chapter 147

2 years later:

"Mommy! Daddy thwew ball at face!" Logan says as he comes running in the house. "Why would he do that?" I ask as I stand in the kitchen.

"I dunno, we playing ball then thwew it hawd and it hit me in the face," he cries. "let Mommy take a look," I say, turning to him and lifting him into my arms.

I place him on the counter and hold his face in my hands. "where did the ball hit you?" I ask. " the eye," he sniffles.

I look at his eye and see it's a bit red with a scratch. "it could be worse, I'm sure you'll be fine," I say.

"it's hurts when I pwess on it," he says, wiping his eyes and winches when he wipes the eye where he got hit.

"I'm sure Daddy didn't mean to," I say. "he thwew it at my face, he meant to!" he says. "honey, you're small... Daddy's a lot bigger than you. I'm sure you were so good he forgot how small you are," I say.

"I am vewy good," he agrees. "exactly. how about you play inside for now on, Hmm?" I say. he nods. I help him on the floor.

"where is your Daddy?" I ask. "he's still outside," he says as he plays on the floor in the living room. "Mommy, it's bleeding," he says, touching his eye and showing me a little bit of blood on his finger.

"I'll you a band-aid, Dove," I say. I go to the kitchen again and grab a band-aid from the drawer. I walk back into the living room and sit on the couch.

"come here, Logan," I say. he walks over to me and puts his hands on my legs as I open the band-aid and but it under his eye where the scratch is.

"better?" I ask, smoothing my finger over it. "you have to kiss it better, mama," he says. "right, how could I forget?" I say. I lean down and kiss his cheek under his eye.

"better now?" I ask. "yes, thank you, mama," he smiles. "you're welcome, little dove," I say. I stand up and kiss his head before I go outside.

"what are you still doing outside?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest and walking over to him. "did he tell you? I hit him in the face with a basketball," he says.

"a basketball? those things are huge Derek," I say. "I know, I know. but he really wanted to play and I couldn't find any of the other balls and he threw his catching ball off the cliff," he says.

"he threw it off the cliff? this is why having children and living in the middle of nowhere and on a cliff scares the crap out of me," I say.

"I like the view," he says. "so do I but I don't want to hear stories about my two-year old son throwing things over a cliff," I say.

"I told him to throw it to me and he threw it the other way," he says. "you shouldn't be standing that close to the cliff if that was possible, he's not that strong," I say.

"you act like I'm going to fall off," he says. "you can, and I don't like that I have to be outside with Logan when he wants to play," I say.

"why don't you just go with him?" he asks. "because if I'm doing the dishes or cleaning I can't go outside with him and he can't go alone and then he get's upset and then he cries and then I have to deal with that," I say.

"I told you, I'm going to build a fence," he says putting his hands on my arms, rubbing up and down. "No, I don't want you to do it. I want you to hire a professional to do it, I'd rather watch them fall off then you," I say.

"Meredith," he says. "I'll be fine if it's someone else but I'm not going to be a widow and a single mother just because I let you do it," I say.

"that won't happen," he says. "say what you want but I'm not taking any chances," I say. "fine, we'll hire someone else to do it," he says.

"I know, I already called someone earlier," I say. "of course you did," he scoffs. "It's not that I don't trust you, I just want to make sure you're safe. and you should probably come inside and apologize to Logan," I say.

"why? I didn't do it on purpose," he says. "I know that but he thinks you did and he was crying and he has a scratch on his eye so if you don't and people ask what happened he's going to say his daddy threw a ball at his eye and they're going to take it differently," I say.

"where is he?" he asks. "he's in the living room playing," he says. "where's Emily?" he asks. "she's in her room," I say. he nods and kisses me before he goes inside.

Should I get rid of Emily?