Chapter 98

MEREDITH

I woke up the next morning. I rolled to the side and saw Derek was already awake.

I get out of bed and go into the bathroom. after I finished using the toilet I washed my hands and turned on the shower.

I took off my clothes and got in. after I showered I wrapped a towel around my body and blow dried my hair then curled it and tied it back into a ponytail. I do my makeup before leaving the room.

I went back into the bedroom. I grabbed my black clothes that were handing on my closet doors.

I got dressed and left my bedroom. I went into Emily's bedroom and found her still asleep. I went into her closet and picked out a black dress.

I laid it down on Daniel's bed for when she wakes up. I left the room and went into the kitchen.

I grabbed a bowl and cracked a few eggs in it. I whisked it with a fork before placing a pan on the hot oven.

"why are you trying to make breakfast?" I hear Derek ask as he comes into the kitchen behind me while wrapping his arms around my waist.

"reasons. can you go wake up Emily?" I ask. "I already did, she's getting dressed," he says. "did you tell her about Daniel yet?" he asks.

"yes, I told her last night," I say. "how'd she take it?" he asks. "she cried her eyes out when I explained what death was and how she was never going to see him again other than at the funeral," I say.

"which is today. you think you're going to be okay?" he asks. "I'll be fine, I'm better at hiding my emotions better than Emily is so you don't have to worry about me," I say.

"have you cried yet?" he asks. "I did at the hospital," I say as I touch the pan to feel if it's hot. "don't do that," he says moving my hand away from the pan. it's very hot.

"I mean since the hospital. you wanna cry at now, at the funeral, or after the funeral?" he asks.

"why do you want me to cry?" I ask. "because if you hold it in now you might cry in New York," I says against my shoulder.

"I'll cry when I feel like crying," I say. "do you know when that is?" He asks. "No," I say as I move the eggs around in the pan.

"you have to cry eventually," he says. "yea, yea. go get showered and dressed," I say. "we're not leaving for a bit," he says.

"we're leaving early, I want to make sure everything's the way it's supposed to be," I say.

"Okay, do we need anything else?" he asks. "No, but after you get showered and dressed we need to bring the luggage out to the car but I'll do as much as I can while your showering," I say.

"be carful with your arm," he says. I nod as he kisses my shoulder before he walks out of the kitchen and into the our bathroom to take a shower.

Derek mostly stays at my place instead of his place. he still owns the house but he only goes home to get some clothes and other things but other than that he practically lives here.

I grab a knife and grab an apple. I cut the apple in half before cutting those half's into smaller half's. I feel the knife cut through my skin. "shit," I say under my breath as it's starts bleeding a lot.

I bring my hand under the sink and run cold water over it but it only burns.

blood continues to pool out of my hand. I grab a cloth and apply pressure to the wound. I press my hand against the counter to continue the pressure as I grab the first aid kit from under the sink.

I washed the blood off and pressed the gauzes to the would before wrapping a bandage around my hand tightly before putting a piece of tape on it.

thankfully I didn't get any blood on the apple so I carefully cut the other piece of apple into two half's.

I put some eggs on the plate and the apples on the plate and placed it on the table.

I walk into Emily's bedroom. I see her fully dressed as she stares at herself in the mirror closet door. "your breakfast is ready, do you want some toast?" I ask as I stand behind her and place my hands on her shoulders.

"I'm not hungry," she says quietly. "I know, but if you don't eat your going to feel sick," I say as I press my lips to the top of her head.

"do you want toast or not?" I ask. "one piece, please," she says. "Okay, your eggs are ready and you won't like them when their cold," I say. she nods as she leaves the room.

I look back at Daniel's bed. I feel tears well up in my I blink them away and go back into the kitchen.

I walk over to the counter and put in a few pieces of bread into the toaster.

"so, how do you want your hair today?" I ask Emily as she sits at the island eating her breakfast.

"curled and in a ponytail like you," she says. "okay, I'll do that once your finished eating," I say.

I kiss her head before leaving the room. I go into my bedroom and grab a few bags of luggage and bring it to the door.

I was going to bring it outside to the car but I don't think I'll be able to do that with a broken arm and my cut hand. we're taking our luggage with us to the funeral because after the funeral we're leaving to the airport and flying to New York.

I bring most of the things to the door that I'm able to. I go into Emily's room and grab her bags and her carry on and bring those to the door as well.

"where are we going after the funeral?" she asks. "we're going to New York," I answer as I stand next to her, running my fingers through her brushed hair.

"what are we doing in New York?" he asks. "Derek's mom asked us to come there to visit," I say.

"does she know I'm going to be there?" she asks. "yes, she's very excited to meet you she says," I say with a small smile. she nods and continues eating.

"I saw you brought all the luggage out of the bedroom," Derek says as he comes into the kitchen after his shower. he's wearing a black suit with a white shirt and his hair is dried and styled.

"yes, but I only got it to the door, and I cut myself," I say showing him my right hand.

"how on earth did you do that?" he asks examining my hand. "I was going to fast with the knife," I say.

"I'll take them out to the car," he says. I nod. he kisses me on the lips before he kisses Emily on the bed and takes the luggage out to the limo that arrived not too long ago.

after Emily finishes her breakfast I do her hair and we leave after making sure we have everything.

the funeral will be in the next chapter. should I make some drama happen with Lexie and/or dad??