chapter 154

DEREK

she hands me the photo. I look at the small baby and smile. "what is it?" Logan asks. "you're going to be a big brother," Meredith smiles as she picks him up and puts him on her lap.

"huh?" he asks. "your mommy's going to have a baby," I say. "why?" he asks. "because that's what happens when you get married," Meredith says.

"baby?" he asks. "yes, a baby," I say. "where is it?" he asks. "the baby is in mommy's tummy," I say.

"How?" he asks. "that... that's a conversation we'll have in ten years," Meredith says. "is it a boy or a girl, I don't want a girl," he says.

"We don't know yet, but we can find out in... how many months?" I say. "four," she says. "okay," he says before he runs off.

"at least he's not mad that he won't be an only child anymore," she says as I wrap my arms around her waist.

"what about when the baby's actually born?" she asks laying her head on my shoulder.

"he'll be fine, other than the fighting," I say. "what fighting?" she asks.

"he's a boy, it happens whether he has a little sister or a little brother," I say.

"what do you mean?" she asks lifting her head and looking at me.

"if he has a little brother the little one will probably hit back and if he has a little sister she might not," I say.

"I think it would be the opposite," she says before laying her head on my chest again.

"do you wanna go up to bed? you look a little pale," I say. "yea, and I feel a little lightheaded," she says as she starts to stand up.

"do you need help?" I ask. "help walking? no, not even Logan needs help, he can run faster than I can," she says.

"that's because you're always wearing heels," I say. she stands up and leaves the room.

***

after dinner, I go back into the bedroom and find Meredith in bed. I walk over to her and kiss her forehead. I pull away and put the back of my hand on her head, she's burning.

"Meredith, are you sure you're feeling alright?" I ask. "Hmm," she hums. I brush her hair out of her face before I go around to my side of the bed.

I take off my clothes until I'm only in briefs. I get under the covers and lay in bed.

when I get in bed Meredith rolls over and lays on top of me. "are you feeling any better?" I ask running my hands up her shirt.

"No, I feel worse," she mumbles into my skin. "I thought you were asleep," I say. "No, I was just in too much pain to move," she says.

"you know... I think Logan's coming," I say. "you're taking him to the bathroom," she says rolling off me.

"Daddy, you take me to the potty?" Logan asks as he comes into the room. "you don't want Mommy?" I ask.

"mama sick," he says. "alright, bud," I say getting out of bed. I take him into the bathroom and help him onto his little toilet.

I waited a bit until he finished. "done," he says. I hand him some toilet paper and he flushes. when I built the house I built a children's toilet into the house in each bathroom, including ours, I don't know why but I guess I thought one day we would have so many kids that all the bathrooms would be full and one of the little ones would need to use the bathroom and we would have one in our bathroom.

"Daddy, why is mommy sick?" he asks. "because that's what happens when you have a baby in your tummy, sometimes you get sick," I tell him.

"I going to have a baby in my tummy?" he asks. "No, only Mommy's can do that," I say. "why?" he asks. "because they have something special that boys don't that helps them make babies," I say.

"did you help mommy make a baby?" he asks as I help him onto the counter so he can wash his hands and turn on the tap.

"yes, I did, it takes two to tango," I say. "what tango?" he asks. "that's a talk for another time," I say.

"Are you tired enough to go back to sleep?" I ask. he nods. "Okay, let's go back to your room," I say, drying his hands and helping him off the counter.

I place him on the floor and open the bathroom door. I go to leave the room with him but instead of running to the door he runs towards the bed and gets in next to Meredith.

"Logan, we talked about this, you need to sleep in your big boy bed, you're not little anymore," I say.

"But Mommy sick, can't leave her alone," he says. "Mommy's going to be sick for the next eight months," I say.

"Please, Dada. just one," he begs as he pouts, the same pout Meredith gives me when she wants something.

"fine, just this once," I say. he giggles as he gets under the covers and cuddles into Meredith's back as she continues to sleep.

I get in bed next to Meredith and she wraps her arms around my waist and lays her head on my chest before falling back to sleep.

I fall asleep soon after.