Kids?

DEREK

after I brought the things into the house, I closed the door behind me and went into the kitchen where Meredith went. I walked into the room and saw Meredith talking to my mother about something.

she was leaning against the counter as my mother dried the dishes, her back facing me. I walk over to her and wrap my arms around her waist, kissing the side of her head. she continues talking to my mother as she places both her hands on top of mine.

once they finally go silent I talk.

"what are you two talking about?" I ask.

"our future children," Meredith says as remove my arms from her and turn her a bit so her side is against my chest. she wraps her left arm around my waist and I wrap my arm around her shoulder.

"our children?" I ask.

"yes, apparently you wanted four kids?" she says.

"I was twelve and had four sisters, I thought if I had four kids they would all be the same gender, so if I had four then I wouldn't have a girl with no sister and if they were all girls then I wouldn't have one boy with no brothers," I say.

"like you?" she smiles.

"like me," I smile, leaning down and pressing a soft kiss to her lips.

"Derek, do you still want four kids?" my mother asks me.

"I'm thinking three now," I say.

"yea? why's that?" she asks.

"Meredith is scared to have children so I don't want her too many that it will scare her," I say.

"Derek!" Meredith says harshly as she hits me on the chest.

"I'm fine with three kids if they look like you then I'm fine with one... we've talked about this before, three would be wonderful but with the twins and if we have one then that makes three," I say.

"you counted the twins in this?" she asks with a small smile.

"of course, they'll be your kids," I say.

"as long as you've thought about it," she says.

"of course, I think about it, nothing in my life happens unless it has to do with you," I say.

"you're welcome. did you get it?" she whispers the last part.

"it's in my back pocket," I whisper in her ear.

"thank you," she whispers, kissing my lips. she walks away and takes it out of my back pocket.

MEREDITH

I go upstairs and into the bathroom. in the middle of the night, I woke up and threw up for almost an hour. after I finally stopped I had just then realized that I was almost three weeks late for my period. I've been late before and it was nothing but it's never been this long other than once which was a month late.

I asked Derek if he could get me a test in the morning and then we went back to sleep. I go into the bathroom and lock the door. I drank a bunch of water earlier so this should be easy.

****

I finished taking the test I flush, and place it on the sink counter and waited for a bit. my phone rang once. I checked my phone and saw it was a text from Derek.

D: I would come up there myself but my moms got me trying to fix a broken mug. did you take it?

M: yea, but I'm still waiting for the results. I'll tell you in person when they come back

D: alright, I'll see you in a bit, I love you,

M: I love you too

I turn my phone off and put it into my dress pocket and wait.

****

my phone timer finally goes off. I turn it off and look at the test. I wrap the test in toilet paper before throwing it in the trash like I did the box. I wash my hands again before going back downstairs.

I walk into the kitchen and see Derek holding a mug whilst holding the handle to it. "Derek, can I speak to you for a bit?" I ask. he places the mug down on the counter and walks over to me. we walk into the other room.

"It was negative," I say.

"oh..." he sighs.

"yea... but it probably is for the better because we're getting the twins as soon as we get back to Seattle," I say going to walk away.

"Meredith," he says, putting both his hands on my shoulder and pulling my back in front of him.

"Why are you tense?" he asks in a calm voice.

"I don't know... I thought I would be happy when I saw the words 'not pregnant' but for some reason, I'm not. I didn't think I wanted kids," I say as I start to feel tears well up in my eyes.

"Meredith," he says, rubbing both my shoulders.

"I don't know why I care," I say, holding back a sob.

"it's okay, Meredith," he says.

he wraps his arms around me and pulls me into his chest. "I don't know why I care," I sob into his chest.

"it's okay... it's okay... we'll have a baby one day," he whispers into my hair before kissing the side of my head.

after I few minutes I pull away. he holds my face in his hands. "are you okay?" he asks, trying to look in my eyes as I continue to look down at the floor.

"yes, I'm fine," I say.

"how come you just now feel like you want to have a baby?" he asks.

"I have no idea... I never wanted kids but now... I guess just the thought of it happening... I guess you never really know until there might be a fetus in your uterus," I say.

"Well, at least we know now... you actually want kids?" he asks.

"yes, I do," I nod.

"Okay, but I think we might have to wait for the twins to be older first," he says.

"Mm-hmm," I hum staring at his chest.

"Okay," he says.

"We should go back," I say going back into the kitchen.

"you don't want to talk about it?" he asks standing next to me.

"I don't think there's anything to talk about... I thought I didn't want kids and I guess this happened so I could figure out that I do want kids... at least I know now that I do want kids," I say.

"Alright," he smiles. he kisses me once before we go back into the kitchen.