Chapter 103

We arrive at Derek's parents house. I get out of the car and I go around to get Emily.

I open the door and go to take off the seatbelt. She starts shaking her head.

"Are you scared?" I ask. She nods. "It's okay, you don't have to be scared. I'm going to be there and Derek will be too," I say.

I take off her seatbelt and lift her into my arms. "I don't want to," she says as we get closer to the house.

"Let me talk to het," Derek says. I hand him Emily and he walks over to the car. "You can go inside," Derek says.

"I don't want to," I shake my head. "See, even Meredith is scared," Derek says to Emily making her smile while looking at me.

I roll my eyes and wait for them to stop talking. After the finish, Derek walks back over with her and opens the door and walks in.

"Are you coming or not?" Derek says teasingly as Emily giggles. I walk inside as he holds the door open.

"Why are you still scared? You've been here before," he says. "You know why," I say.

"You know nothing is going to happen and the only person here is my mom and Amelia," he says.

"That's what they told you," I say sarcastically. "I'm going to go find my mom," he says. He kisses my cheek and hands Emily to me.

I walk into the living room as Derek goes into the kitchen to look for his mom.

I sit down on the couch and try to place Emily in the floor but she sits down next to me instead.

"Auntie Mer!" I hear from across the room. I see Grace run to me and into my arms. " hi, Grace," I say as I sit her in my lap and kiss her head.

"What happened to your eye?" She asks. "I fell," I say. "My daddy hit her," Emily says. Grace looks like she wants to say something but she doesn't.

"Who's your friend?" She asks referring to Emily. "This is my niece Emily. Emily, this is Derek's niece Grace," I say.

"You wanna come play with some toys? my Nana always has good toys," Grace says. Emily looks at me for an answer. I nod my head and she nods at Grace.

Grace good off my lap and takes Emily's hand as they go over to the toy box and play.

I stand up and walk into the kitchen where Derek and his mother is. "Your niece just stole my niece" I say as I sit down next to Derek.

"Meredith! What happened to your eye?" Carolyn asks. "I-um... I got punched," I say. Her eyes go wide.

"Who would punch you?!" She asks before she turns to Derek. "And you! How could you let this happen?" She asks as she slaps his arm.

"Ow, I wasn't there when it happened, don't worry when I saw I punched him much harder," he says.

"Who did it?" She asks. "The twins father," I say. "Why would he do that?" She asks. I give Derek a look.

"It actually has something to do with why Daniel isn't here," Derek says. "Are you okay to say it?" Derek asks.

"Yes I'm fine," I say. "We were in a car accident not too long ago, maybe a few weeks ago. 'We' as in me and the twins while Derek was at work," I say.

Her eyes go wide again but she doesn't say anything yet. "We were in traffic and it wasn't going to be moving any time soon so I turned off the car and I guess there was some space behind me because someone crashed into the back of my car. I don't remember much before I woke up in the hospital," I say.

"Emily is fine but Daniel was closest to the car when it crashed and it mostly got him. He was fine at the hospital but before something went wrong and he ended up not making it," I say. I quickly blink away the few tears that well up in my eyes.

"I-I'm so sorry, dear. How is the girl holding up?" She asks. "She's seems to be fine now but I'm going to be taking her to see a therapist so it doesn't get worse," I say.

"That's good," she nods. "where did you say Emily was?" Derek asks.

"she's playing with Grace," I say. "Grace is here?" he asks. I nod.

"Grace wanted to come over when she heard you and Meredith were coming back to New York," she says. "or she was just happy about Meredith, I didn't even know Grace was here," he rolls his eyes.

"well, she did only mention being excited about Meredith I just didn't want to sound rude," she says. "of course she did," he rolls his eyes.

"she's excited about having another aunt. she was very happy when she found out you proposed she was jumping all over the room," she says.

"and she was even more excited when she found you were bringing a little girl her age," she says. "see Derek, not everything's about you," I say. he looks at me annoyed and rolls his eyes.

"I don't know how I'm going to deal with you when we're married and we have to live together," I say. "we practically already do," he says.

"you moved back with Derek?" Carolyn asks. "No, Derek spends most of his time at my apartment when he's not at work," I say.

"why?" she asks. "he has separation issues," I say. "No, I don't" he says. "yes, you do. especially when you're sleeping," I say.

"I do it to keep you safe," He says. "from what?" I ask. "Andrew," he says. I furrow my brows. "Andrew's in New York?" I ask. "stop asking questions just be happy I like cuddling, most guys don't," he says.

"who's Andrew?" Carolyn asks. "my ex-boyfriend," I say. "he's mentally insane and kidnapped Meredith when I was in France," he says.

"yea, that was fun," I say sarcastically. "when I saved you all you need was try to go to sleep," he says.

"I was tired and I had a long day," I say. "I know you fell asleep in the car," he says.

check out my story 'loving you is hard'!