chapter 121

they were now at the hospital. Meredith was in bed and Derek was standing at the door.

they had just had an argument, it wasn't about the name he asked her about. she didn't want to talk to him. she didn't want to talk at all.

"Meredith-" he tried. "No, we're not talking about anything... I want you to leave," she said still facing away from him.

"Meredith, I'm not leaving you while you're in labor," he says walking back over to her.

"No, Derek. I don't want you in here," she said again.

"why? what are you this upset about?" he asked her. "just go, Derek. I don't want you here," she said once again.

"Meredith... I don't want to leave you alone when you're in pain... are you sure you want me to leave?" he asked.

he didn't want to leave her alone during labor. he knew how painful it could be for some women and he wasn't sure if Meredith was going to take the pain meds.

his sister gave birth alone and she talked about how terrible it was when her own husband was out somewhere. he hadn't told her where he was going when he left and by the time he did come back she was already out of the hospital and her baby was two weeks old.

he had came back drunk and when she asked him where he had been for the past two weeks he had told her the entire story. he was a very truthful man with alcohol in him. it had turned out he was out cheating out of town those two weeks.

and even though wasn't cheating it still didn't feel right leaving her alone in such a vulnerable state.

"Just go, I'll be fine. I'll let you know when he's here," she said while she looked out the window.

"I don't want to leave you alone, you're going to be in pain and I don't want you to be alone when you're in pain," he said pushing the hair out of her eyes.

"you can be there when he's actually born but he's not going to be born yet. they still need to get the operating room ready... I don't want you to see me like this," she whispered as she finally turned to look at him.

"see you like what? I'm not going to watch you push a child out of you, and I would still be here if that's how you wanted to go about this," I say.

"Meredith, I don't want to leave you alone when you're in pain, as much as I hate seeing you in pain I don't want you to be alone when you're in it," he says.

"fine... you can stay," she said. she acted as if she didn't want him to stay, but she did.

he was right, she hated being in pain but being in pain was much easier when no one was watching.

when she was a kid and her parents hit her, whether it was over something small like not doing the dishes or if it was something big, like leaving and not saying where she was going and being out for too long.

she hated it when her mother would just stand there and watch her cry she would enjoy every bit of her pain and she hated it almost just as much as she hated it when her mother would whip her with a belt for something she didn't due, but something her sister did.

and things were no different with her father.

"so... you never did tell me how you feel about the name," he said, making a face.

"are you scared of me or something?" she asked from the look on his face.

"No, it's just... that's what made you mad earlier..." he says.

"I like the name," she said. "you do?" he asks.

"yes, I'll consider it when he's born. we're either gonna name him Colton or Logan, but I'm not one hundred percent on Colton, his middle name already starts with a C, so it might be confusing for him to say when he's a bit older, and it'll be a little much to say ourselves... but if we were to have another son one day then I think I would choose it," she says.

"good, so then we have a name," he smiled kissing the side of her head.

"I said we'll see," she smiled at him. "that usually means yes when it comes to me," he smiled before kissing her on the lips.