chapter 73

the next morning I drove the kids the daycare and on my way to work I noticed a man outside the front door.

I got out of the car and walked to the building. "what are you doing here?" I asked him. "so you do still work here," he says smiling.

"yes, Deluca. what do you want?" I ask. "you, it's all I've ever wanted," he says walking closer to me. "Andrew, go find someone else that does want you, because it's not me," I say.

"that's fine... all I have to do is make you want me," he smirks. I roll my eyes before walking into the building.

I feel him grab one of my arms. I stop and turn around to look at him. "what do you want?" I ask. "I want you to know that you should be ready," he says.

"for what?" I ask. "just tell your boyfriend to watch his back because there might be a gun there," he says. he lets go of my hand and walked away.

I didn't think much of it because Andrew would always make stupid threats then ends up not doing anything. and I doubt he knows where Derek is anyways or that he even knows that Derek's out of the continent.

I go inside the building and work my hours.

****

"so... how's the baby?" I hear Cristina ask me. "there's no baby," I say. "did you take a test?" she asks. "No," I say.

"then there's not no baby, and until you show me a negative test. there's a baby in there," she says. I roll my eyes.

"did you tell the daddy?" she asks. "stop calling him that," I say as I give the patients their food.

"I told him that I was still sick and I told him that you were crazy for thinking I was pregnant," I say.

"so he doesn't think you're pregnant?" she asks. "no, I don't think so," I say. "was he surprised when you mention you could pregnant?" she asks.

"a little, yes, very. but I told him that I also thought it was cancer for a second so there was no trusting either of our opinion, not mine nor yours," I say wiping my hands.

"Meredith!" I hear one of the patients say. "there's your second boyfriend," she smiles. "shut up," I tell her as I walk away from her and back to the patient.

I help the patient a bit. I finish the rest of my day at work.

****

I drive to daycare and pick up the kids. I drive back home. the kids run into their room and play in their whilst I ordered something for dinner.

after I had ordered from a Chinese place, my phone started ringing. I figured it was going to be Derek because this is time he usually calls.

I pick up the phone and answer. "Hi how is it over there?" I ask. "it's great over here, thanks for asking," I hear Andrews voice.

"why are you calling me, Andrew?" I ask him. "because, I told you I wanted you. how about we have coffee tomorrow?" he says.

"Andrew, thank you but I have work early in the morning," I say. "Alright, fair point. how about after for we can go out to eat?" he says.

"I-I can't. I'm busy during the rest of the day at home," I say. "what are you so busy with at home?" he asks. I really don't want to tell him about the twins but what else am I supposed to say?

"I'm watching my sister's kids for a few weeks while she's out of town and I'd like to keep an eye on the them while she's gone," I say.

"Lexie?" he asks. "yea, Lexie," I say. "how much longer are they going to be there?" he asks. "I don't know, she said It was going to be a few weeks but it could be longer," I say.

"what do you do with them when you're at work?" he asks. "I have a babysitter I take them too," I say. I don't want to tell him that I take them to the daycare near by just in case he was going to do something. I don't want to get them involved.

"then take them there while we go out," He says. "Andrew, I can't. it's my job to watch them and I don't want to take them somewhere else if I don't have to," I say.

"your sister isn't going to know," He says. "it's not about that. I don't want to leave my sister's kids in the hands of a stranger for longer than I have to. If they're somewhere else then I don't know weather or not they're okay," I say.

"fine. be like that. We'll go out when they're gone," he says. "Alright, bye," I say before hanging up.

I clean and set the table for when the food arrives. my phone rings again. I don't know if it's Derek or Andrew but I hope it's Derek because he's much easier to talk to.

"Hello," I say answering the phone. "wow, did you not want me to call? you sound a little annoyed," he says.

"No, it's not you, it's something else. I'm glad you called," I say. "good, what is it then?" he asks. "Andrew, he's back in town and I don't know when he got back but he's here, he was at the hospital this morning," I say.

"what was he doing there?" he asks as I hear a bit of anger in his voice. "I don't know. I asked him and he said he wanted me and he told me he wanted you to watch your back because there might be a gun," I say.

"where would be a gun?" he asks. "behind your back. I think he's saying he wants to kill you," I say. "I'm all the way over here, baby. I'll be fine," he says.

"I know. he asked me out to coffee for tomorrow morning and then he asked to go out after work," I say.

"he asked you out?" he says. "yes, I told him I had work in the morning and I told him about the kids," I say.

"Meredith, why would you do that?" he says. "I know, it's horrible but I couldn't think of anything else. I told him that they were just staying for a few weeks and that I wanted to stay with them," I say.

"does he know what daycare they go to?" he asks. "No, he asked where they go in the morning so I just told him that I had a babysitter that I took them to," I say.

"as long as he doesn't know where they are while you're gone," he says. "even if he did they should be fine because there's a lot of people there so someone would notice before he could do anything," I say.

"that's good, what about the hospital?" he asks. "there's a lot of security there because, well, it's a hospital for the criminally insane," I say. "as long as you're safe," he says.

Derek and I talk for another hour before he hand up because he has to work early in the morning. the food arrives and we eat dinner.

Andrew called multiple times after before I took a shower and when I in the shower but I never answered.

I showered and went to bed.