sick

MEREDITH

Carolyn and Derek showed me around the house and we went back to the couch.

Derek and I were still sitting on the couch. Derek was talking to his mother about his sister Lizzie having another baby. as I'm sitting here, I feel something in my stomach. I don't remember eating anything weird so I don't know what it is.

I suddenly feel something in my stomach rise. I get up and run to the nearest bathroom and throw up in the toilet. "Meredith?" I hear Derek say my name. I continue emptying my stomach as I feel his hand on my back.

"What happened, are you okay?" he says.

"yes, I'm fine," I say, wiping my mouth with a piece of toilet paper.

"Are you sure? you're throwing up," he says as I sit up. as soon as I sit up I feel my back against his chest.

"not anymore," I say.

"but you were, are you sure you're okay. if you're throwing up you're not okay," he says.

"Derek, I'm fine," I say as I stand up. I go over to the sink and wash my hands.

"Are you sick? did you catch something on the way here or did you have it before we came here," he says standing behind me.

"Derek, I'm fine. stop asking questions, please" I say.

he stares at me for a few seconds before he presses the back of his hands against my forehead. "you're warm, does your head hurt?" he asks.

"Derek," I say, turning to him while drying my hands.

"I'm sorry, but you didn't seem sick on the way here. you were perfectly fine," he says.

"I know, I'm sorry," I say. I walk around him and walk out of the room.

"I'm not going back in there alone, Derek," I whisper. he walks behind me and leads me into the living room with his hand on my back.

"Meredith, are you one hundred percent sure you're okay...? do you still feel sick?" he asks.

"yes," I whisper.

"Okay, do you want to wait before we talk about it?" I ask.

"yes," I say back.

"Alright," he says. we walk back into the living room and sit down next to each other. "Is everything alright? I didn't want to go in there for obvious reasons," his mother says.

"yes, everything is fine- I just... suddenly felt sick," I say with a small smile.

"sick? you're not feeling alright?" she says a bit shocked.

"I'm sure I'll be fine, I get car sick from long drives so it might've been that," I say.

"you get car sick?" Derek asks as he turns to look in my direction.

"yes, when it's longer than thirty minutes it feels like my body is turning on me," I say.

"that bad?! why didn't you tell me?" he says.

"I'm fine now," I shrug.

"two minutes ago you said you felt sick," he says.

"yes, but I'll be fine," I say. "if you say so," he says, squeezing my thigh lightly.

****

he and his mother are talking. my phone starts ringing. "sorry, I have to take this," I say. I get up and leave the room while I answer the phone.

"Lexie, how many times are you going to call today?" I say.

"When are you going to come to get these damn kids?! they're driving me insane!" I hear her say as I hear the kids running around.

"you mean your kids?" I say.

"Meredith, I don't want them anymore!" she raises her voice almost yelling.

"did you ever think about what I want? Do you think I want to be the one with the stupid sister who just now decides she doesn't want her kids? I told you having kids at a young wasn't a good idea, but you didn't listen. I told you not to have unprotected sex with an idiot at a young age, you didn't listen. am I always going to be the one who has to clean up after your messes?" I raise my voice.

"you want them or not?" she says.

"yes, of course. I just want you to remember you're a horrible bitch... I'll be back in Seattle in a week or two, then I'll get them and you can leave Seattle," I say.

"gladly," she says before hanging up.

"stupid bitch," I whisper walking backing into the living room. I look up as I put my phone back into my pocket, Derek and his mother are both staring at me.

"Sorry, that was... nobody," I say walking back into the room.

"was that Lexie?" Derek asks.

"yes, she getting tired of having her kids," I say.

"you mean her kids?" his mother says.

"yes... she's starting to remind me of my mother," I say, whispering the last part. I walk back into the room and sit down next to her Derek.

"Are they really that bad?" Derek asks me.

"apparently," I say.

***

Derek and I are in his old room. I'm getting dressed in my silk pyjamas while Derek's in bed reading a book. after I'm finished getting dressed, I walk over to the bed and get under the covers next to him.

"What did your mother say?" I ask pulling the covers into my lap and leaning against the headboard.

"what do you mean?" he asks keeping his eyes on the book.

"What did she say about me when I walked away to talk to Lexie, or when I had to pee?" I ask.

"she said that she liked you," he says.

"she said what?" I ask, surprised.

he sighs. "she says she likes you," he closes his book and places it on the nightstand.

"why would she say that?" I ask.

"because she likes you," he says, getting under the covers and laying down.

"why would she do that?" I ask laying down.

"Meredith, you're not horrible, I like you therefore she likes you," he says.

"so the reason she likes me is that you like me?" I ask, placing my head down on the pillow.

"I don't know, Mer. If my mother says she likes my girlfriend then I don't ask why... get some rest, we have a big morning," he says, kissing me on the lips.

He places his hand on my waist and closes his eyes. "Why? What's tomorrow?" I ask. "My sisters, their husbands, my five nieces and four nephews," he says.

"What?!" I say sitting up. "Go to sleep, Mer. It's getting late, I'm tired, you're tired. Sleep," he says.

"Fine," I sigh. I lay down and close my eyes. After a few minutes, I'm about to fall asleep before I feel something tap my waist.

"Meredith," Derek whispers. "What?" I ask in a raspy voice. "Move closer to me," he says in a tired voice.

"What?" I ask. "Move closer to me," he says a bit louder.

I move the covers a bit and move so I'm laying right next to him.

"Better?" I ask. "Yes," he answers. He places his hand on my waist and pulls me against him. He presses his face between my breasts before his breathing gets softer and he falls asleep.

I fall asleep soon after.