babysitting pt3

"why are you here?" I asked glaring at him. "About the park..." he starts. "No, I don't care. it's fine you've kissed another woman once I shouldn't be surprised you did again," I say before trying to close the door.

"Meredith, I'm not with her. She's an ex of mine," he says putting his hand on the door and pushes it back open, walking in.

"I ran into her at the grocery store the other day and she wanted to meet up for coffee. I told her about you and everything that happened and how we were working on you regaining my trust... she didn't seem thrilled that you and I were trying again and she kept saying it was your fault we broke up and then she said you weren't good for me. I could tell she was jealous but I didn't think she would take it somewhere." He says before taking a deep breath.

"We finished our coffee and we went outside to say goodbye, she noticed I kept looking at the park across the street and she asked what I was looking at. I told her that you were there, she then asked if you had kids because you were at a kids park and I told her you were just babysitting you niece and nephew. You then went out to your car and left and as soon as you looked at us she kissed me. When you left she pulled away... I asked her why she did it and she said it was because I shouldn't get back together with you if you didn't trust me," he says looking me in the eyes with a frown on his face.

"She has a fiancé in New York, nothing is between me and her she was just jealous so she kissed me,"

"Fine... I believe you," I said quietly. I didn't want to believe him but I could see it in his eyes that he was telling the truth.

I walked back over to check on the twins before looking back at Derek. "Don't you usually have work at this time?" I asked.

"Yes, but..." he says. "But what?" I ask. "I kinda got suspended from the station," he says scratching the back of his head.

"Why?" I ask. "Some of the guys there heard they you and I broke up and they kept asking for your number and I was still trying to get over our break up and it was only the day after... I got angry and punched one of the guys, breaking his nose and now he needs plastic surgery..." he says looking down at the floor.

"You did what?" I ask. "I broke his nose," he says. "Because he asked for my number?" I say. "Yes, they saw you at the station the other day when you walked in on... and they think your hot,"

"Well they're not wrong, but they're not right for asking for my number... but I do think a simple 'no' would have done the trick," I giggle.

"I didn't even think about that..." he sighs. "I'm sure you didn't. Are you hungry? Have you eaten today?" I ask walking closer to him.

"Have you?" He asks. "No, but I can make something, or you take teach me how to make something," I smile.

"I think teaching you would turn out better then letting you do it on your own," he says squeezing my arm before waking over to the stove.

I sit down on the stool at the island watching him as he moves around the kitchen. "Meredith!" He says snapping his fingers in my face. "What?" I ask getting out of my gaze. "Ive said your name like four times already, are you okay?" he asks.

"Yes, I just haven't had a hot police officer in my kitchen before that's all," I smile. "Well there's a first for everything. Shouldn't you be helping me?" He says going back to the stove.

"No, you're better at it then me," I shrug. "I'm supposed to be teaching you," he laughs. "Tell me what you're doing as you're doing it," I say.

He rolls his eyes and does what I say. he continues cooking. after he finishes cooking, he plates it and places a plate down in front of me. "what is it?" I asked. "you don't know what it is? it's pasta," he says. "I know what it is, what kind?" I roll my eyes as he sits down across from me.

"it's white, you tell," he says. I put some on my fork and take a bite. we eat in silence, before I look back at the twins to see that they seem to be getting tired. I finish my food and place my dishes in the sink.

I go into the living room and take the empty plates and glasses that the kids put on the coffee table. I bring them into the kitchen and put them in the sink. I turned the tv off before laying both kids down on the couch and laid a blanket over the both of them.

I kiss them each on the forehead and go back into the kitchen where Derek was. "When did you say the last time you saw them was?" he askes. "when they were one, so three years ago," I say taking his empty plate and bringing it to the sink.

"you seem pretty close to them after not seeing them three years," he says. "I haven't seem them in three years, but they're still my niece and nephew," I shrug. "Do they remember you?" he asks. "No, but I'm getting to know them better, and seem to like me I'm assuming because they don't seem to hate me,"

"do they look different then they did three years ago?" he asks. of course they look different they were one and now they're four. "yes, they're much bigger but other than that they look the same. Emily had dark brown hair when she was younger but now she's blond," I say.

"When is your sister supposed to be coming back?" he asks as I stand in front of the sink. he stands behind me and places his hands on my waist. "I don't know... whenever she finishes her job interview," I say, feeling the hear rise in my cheeks.

"Meredith..." he whispers in my ear before he places an open-mouthed kiss on my neck. "Derek... the kids are in the living room," I say quietly. "they'll stay asleep," he says. he turns me around so I'm facing him.

he runs his hands up under my shirt. he rubs small circles on my back with his thumbs. he leans down and kisses me, passionately and slowly. after a few minutes I hear a knock on the door. I pull away quickly. I wipe my swollen lips before going over to the door and opening it, it's Lexie.

"How were they?" she asks as she hugs me. "they were good, they're asleep right now, I took them to the park and they ran around a lot so they got pretty tired," I tell her. "that's good, they haven't been gone to the park in a while..." she says before she looks at my face.

"why is your face flushed, and why are your lips red and swollen?" she asks. "No reason," I say before my face gets more flushed and I walk into the kitchen. I put my hands on Derek shoulders to move him away from the sink and I start cleaning the dishes.

she goes into the living room and carefully wakes them up. they wake up and hug her when they see her. we say are goodbye and she says looks at Derek weirdly before she puts two and two together and smiles.

to my surprise the twins hug me and thank me for today before they leave. I turn back around to finish the dishes when I see Derek staring at me. "what?" I ask. "nothing... your face is still a little flushed," I say. "I know, it's annoying," I say. "it's not that bad, it's cute," he smiles. "it's not cute, it's pathetic," I roll my eyes. "it's not pathetic, just breathe and calm down a bit you should be fine,"

"does it look like I'm trying to hold my breathe to you?" I ask. "Meredith, what is it? why do you seem upset?" he asks. "I'm not upset, I just don't want my sister thinking the first time I see her in three years she asks me to watch her kids and I make out with a guy,"

"I just got here," he says. "I know that but she doesn't," I say. "I'm sure she doesn't think of it that way," he says. "you don't know my sister, you can't say," I said. "Meredith, nothing happened. you have nothing to worry about." he says.

"it's getting late, maybe you should go home." I say looking into the sink. "Meredith, if this is going to work you have to trust me and so will your sister, even if I was here this entire time she knows a man wouldn't stop you from making sure the kids are safe," he says.

he kisses me on the forehead before he grabs his coat. "I'll see you tomorrow," he says. he kisses me on the lips before he leaves my apartment.