Mama Shepherd

MEREDITH

We arrive at his parent's house. "this is it?" I ask looking at the house. "Is there a problem?" he asks. "No," why's he so moody? I get out of the car and walk next to him. "we're talking later," I whisper in his ear. "what about?" he asks looking confused. "this," I say. "what's this?" he asks.

"you being weird after you talk about your father," I say. "what? I don't act-" he says before the front door opens. "Derek, Meredith," his mother says. "we'll talk later," he says walking over to his mother. "I already said that," I roll my eyes.

****

I and Derek are in his old bedroom unpacking some things. he still hasn't spoken to me much since we got here. "Derek... are you going to talk to me at all today?" I ask, closing the dresser and leaning my back against it.

"No, I don't want to talk," he says sitting down on the bed without looking at me. "Okay... I'm sorry I talked about your father, you don't have to make things up with him... I just thought maybe if you did it would be easier for you while we stay here but if you don't want to, you don't have to," I say sitting down next to him.

"it's not that," he says. "then what is it?" I ask. "I don't know... it's something about this place," he says, looking around the room. "is it haunted?" I whisper in his ear. "No," he chuckles softly. "you said we're not staying here long, we'll be back in Seattle before you know it," I say.

"have you heard from Lexie yet?" he asks. "yes, she called multiple times on the plane when you were asleep, she asked where I had gone and why I wasn't home," I say. "she was at your place?" he says. "yea, she really wants to get rid of her kids," I said laying back on the bed.

"they won't be her kids her long," he says placing his hand on my thigh. "Derek, that sounds horrible," I say. "Sorry, I'm just saying," he says. "how can she not want them?" I say sitting up. "I mean they're her kids, I get it, they suck but they're her kids she's had them for years, and now she just wants to get rid of them?" I say looking at him.

"at least she called you instead of giving them to some strangers," he says. "I guess," I shrug. "you should call her," he says. "No, I don't want to talk to her, she's too annoying," I say standing up. "Derek! Meredith! I need you both down here!" we hear his mother yell.

"us both?" I say looking at him. "be prepared," he says standing up and leaving the room. I follow him.

We walk downstairs where his mother is sitting on one of the couches. "I need to talk to the both of you," she says.

I look at Derek for a few seconds. "It's fine, Meredith. She's not going to make you marry me right now," he whispers. He kisses my cheek before he sits down across from his mother.

I sit down next to him. He wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me closer to him. "Your father wanted me to ask you what you two had planned for the future," she says to Derek.

"Why couldn't dad ask me that?" He says as I feel his body go tense. I place my hand on his thigh and he relaxes a bit.

"He's a work but he'll be back in an hour or two," she says. "So?" She asks. "I don't know, we haven't talked about it much," he sats.

"You can tell her," I whisper in his ear before leaning back onto the couch. "Meredith us actually taking in her niece and nephew," he says.

"I didn't mean that, I meant what we talked about before we knew about the twins," I whisper in his ear.

"Was I not supposed to tell her that?"  he says with a scared look on his face. "No, don't worry it's fine. She would have found out anyway,"

"Did your sister get into an accident where she can't take care of them anymore? Or did she pass?" His mother asks me with a remorseful look.

"Oh, No. she's fine, she's just bitch who just now decides she doesn't want to be a mother after five years of having them," I say.

She looks shocked when I say that. "Sorry, I didn't mean for that to come out so hateful," I say.

"It's alright," she nods with a small smile. Derek looks at me with a smile that looks like he's trying not to laugh. "I forgot to use a filter," I whisper.

He laughs a bit before looking back at his mother. "So you'll be taking in your niece and nephew... how old are they?" She asks. "They're both five," I say.

"So they'll remember her... what are you going to tell them when they ask why their mother is never around?" She asks. "I haven't thought about that, the truth would hurt them too much as they're age and I don't think they would understand, I guess I would just tell them she's out and they'll be staying with me for a while? It won't completely be a lie but it won't be the full truth either," I say.

"That's good, it's good not to lie, if you do then when they're older they might resent you for it... but why are you taking them? Your parents aren't able to take them?" She says.

Derek looks at me, waiting to see if I'll say something. "You don't have to tell her if you don't want to," he whispers.

"My parents aren't good with children, they weren't good with their own and they'll only be worse with someone else's so it's best if I take them, they already know me and my place is a better place for them to grow up then with my parents," I say.

"Alright," she says and starts talking to Derek about something else. He looks at me and smiles before kissing my head.

What else should I make happen with Derek's family???