Chapter 90

I place Emily on the floor as Daniel continued talking to his father.

I walk over to where Derek is and stand next to him.

"Do you think it'll go well?" I  whisper.

"Hard to tell," he whispers back.

"What did the kids say when you talked to them?" He asks.

"They didn't seem to want to move back in with their dad, it sounded like they lived with him once and it didn't go too well," I say.

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"He's not financially stable," I say.

"Then why is he here if he can't take them, he's just gonna make things worse. He's going to see them once and then they'll get used to it and then he'll stop and they'll be heartbroken," he says.

"I'm going to go clean, I'm bored," I say. I leave the living room and clean for a bit.

****
After a bit, I'm putting away some of my books when I hear Emily crying.

I figured since her dad was there he would be a dad and comfort her but all I hard was her stop for a split second before she started crying even more.

I put my things down and walked down the hall and go into the living room.

I walk in and see Emily sobbing in the corner. I walk over to her and pick her up and place her on my hip.

"what the hell happened?" I ask.

"I was just talking to her and then she started crying and she wouldn't stop so I slapped her," Jake says raising his voice.

"how would hitting her make her stop crying?" I say.

"I just-" he says.

"Derek, you take care of this, I can't with this asshole in my life again," I say before I walk away and take Emily into my room.

I sit down on the bed and hold her in my lap. She eventually calms down.

"I-I don't want to stay with d-daddy," she says.

"I know, and you don't have to," I say.

"But daddy said I have to," she says.

"And I say you don't," I say. She nods.

After a few minutes, my bedroom door opened and Derek walked in.

"He's gone and Daniel went to his room," Derek says.

"How is she?" He asks me.

"She's been better," I say.

"Were you there when he hit her?" I ask.

"I was but I was turned around so I didn't see it," he says.

Emily falls asleep and I take her into her room and put her to bed. I close the door and go back into my room.

"How do you think it'll work having the twins and a newborn?" He asks.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"How are we going to do it?" He says.

"I don't know," I say as I get into bed.

"Meredith, are you sure we can still give the twins the attention they need while having a newborn? A newborn is a lot of work," he says getting in bed next to me.

"I don't know," I say.

"Do you have any family that is good with kids that could take them?" He asks.

"I don't know about my family but maybe jake does," I say.

"I don't want this to come off the wrong way. I love them, I do. I just don't want them to feel like we don't care about them when we pay all our attention to the baby," he says.

"I know, I thought about that too. Jakes's mother called a week ago and said I should get back to her. I've met her a few times and she seems nice, I'll ask her about it," I say.

"I think that's a good idea," he says.

"But I don't want them to think I don't want to see them anymore, or that now that we have our own that we don't like them anymore," I say.

"They won't think that," he says.

"They're children, a lot goes through their mind," I say.

"Then we have to explain the whole thing to them so they don't think that. And we have to tell them about the baby," he says.

"Yes, but that can all wait for tomorrow," I say. He kisses me and we go to sleep.

Should they stay or leave??