Leaving?

MEREDITH

After a few minutes, I hear the sliding door open. Derek comes from the kitchen and into the living room.

"Meredith! You scared me," he says as he walks over to me. "Don't be so loud, the children are asleep," I whisper standing up and walking towards him.

"Right," he says looking at them before he looks away. "How'd it go?" I ask. "How did what go?" He asks.

"How did it go with your father?" I ask. "How do you know I was talking to my dad?" He asks. "I saw through the door, and no I wasn't watching you," I lie.

"It went... fine I guess," he says before he walks away from me. "You wanna talk about it tomorrow? Get some rest first," I ask.

"Yea," he nods looking at the floor with his hands in his pocket. "Alright, let's go," I say before walking up the stairs.

****
After Derek showers, gets dressed and I get dressed, I get in bed as Derek is still doing... something.

"Was it Bad?" I ask. "What?" He says not looking at me. "With your father," I say. "Oh... it went.. fine," he says.

"You seemed upset when you were talking to him," I say. "So you were watching me?" He says.

"A little," I say. "So you weren't there the whole time?" He says. "I... don't wanna lie so I won't say anything," I say.

"You were stalking me," he says turning around as he gets dressed. "No, I was looking for you," I say. "I know, My mother told me you were watching me with my niece," he says.

"She came to me," I said. "I know she told me," he says. "Your niece?" I ask. "No, my mother," he says.

****
The next morning.

I woke up and looked to my side. I saw Derek still sleeping next to me. Derek always wakes up before me.

I get up and go take a shower. I get dressed and go downstairs letting Derek sleep for a bit longer.

I still see the kids asleep on the couch. "They all stayed the night?" I say as I walk into the kitchen.

"Yea, their parents were too drunk to take them or drive. I have to make them something to eat but I also need to wake them up," she says.

"I can cook if you want. If I woke them up it'd be scary for them since they don't know me," I say. "You sure?" She says. "Yea, it's fine," I smile.

"Alright, thank you," she says. She leaves the room and I make breakfast.

after twenty minutes, I grab some plates and utensils. I set the table a bit and place the food on the table. the kids came into the kitchen after Carolyn got them dressed. "is Derek still asleep?" she asks me.

"yes, Derek usually wakes up before me but today he sleeps longer than me, maybe it's the comfort of the house he grew up in," I say. "Derek did always enjoy his sleep. growing up he never was a morning person until he was a teenager," she says.

"I've never known Derek not to be a morning person, he's always wide awake," I say. "I'll go check on him," I say. she watches the stove as I go upstairs and into Derek's old bedroom.

as I walk into the bedroom I see Derek sitting on the edge of the bed with a towel around his waist. "Hey, you're awake," I say as I walk over to him. I place my hand on the back of his head and run my fingers through his damp hair.

"Hmm," he hums in response as he keeps his head in his hands. "I was surprised to see you were still awake when I woke up. why don't you get dressed and then you can come downstairs and eat," I say.

"I'll be down soon," he says tiredly. I sit down next to him. "how come you're still tired? you took a shower you should be awake by now," I say. "long night," he whispers. "come downstairs," I say. I kiss his head before leaning down and kissing his lips.

I walk back downstairs. Derek comes downstairs and into the kitchen, he's dressed in black dress pants, a black silk button-up shirt and a belt. he says good morning to his mother before he walks over to me.

he stands behind me and places both his hands on my waist as I stand at the stove. "you cooked?" he whispers in my ear as he presses the side of his head against mine. "yes," I say. "Hmm," he hums before he kisses my cheek down to my neck before walking over to the table.

"Uncle Derek?" one of his nephews says. "what, Jamie?" he asks. "do you love your girlfriend?" the little boy asks. "yes, I do. are you gonna get a girlfriend soon?" Derek says. "No!" he says. "why not?" Derek asks.

"because then you have to marry them, are you going to marry yours?" he says. "I will, one day. what's wrong with getting married? your parents are married," Derek says, sitting down. "yea... but they're always arguing and they always say they hate each other, I don't want to be like that if I love someone," he says the last part quietly as he plays with his eggs.

"Jamie," Derek says. "people who love each other don't do that, sometimes yes, but not all the time," he says. "but mommy and daddy say it sometimes," he says. "they only say that in front of you," Derek says.

"Derek, don't tell them all that," Carolyn says. "they have to find out one day," he says.

****

it's after breakfast and Derek and I are in the bedroom. I'm reading a bit and Derek gets a phone call. he answers the phone and walks into the bathroom to take it.

after around ten minutes, I hear Derek raising his voice a bit. after another five minutes, I hear the door open and Derek walks out. I look over at him and he looks upset. "everything okay?" I ask.

"No, nothing is okay," he says. "come here," I say patting the spot on the bed next to me. "what happened?" I ask after he sits next to me. "I have to leave," looking down. "what? what do you mean?" I ask.

"I have to leave in a few days," he says. "why?" I ask. "work thing, and this you shouldn't go to, it's too dangerous," he says. I sigh. "where are you going, is it Italy again?" I ask. "No, this is in France," he says. "how long will you be gone for?" I ask.

"I don't know, maybe a few days, maybe a few weeks... maybe a few months..." he says. "A few months?" I ask in disbelief. "at the most a year," he says. "a year?!" I say a bit louder. "I know, I'm sorry, but I didn't even know I would have to leave anymore," he says.

"is it for work?" I ask. "yes," he says. "Well, if you have to go then I guess you have to go," I say leaning against the headboard. "you're not mad?" he asks looking at me. "No, I'm not happy but if it's not your choice then there's nothing I can do about it,"

"Are you sure?" he says. "yes, Derek, I'm sure. all I can do is say... do it quickly because I don't want you to end up being gone for a year," I say. "alright," he smiles. "thank you for not being mad," he says kissing me.

"no promises for later though," I say against his lips before kissing him again.